Steps to reproduce: -sent to your acoount several messages from 4.x with attachements on different lang (french, spanish, german,danish); -view messages in 5.0; //note: all high ascii in the attachements are garbage (observed with 6/25/99 build)
I have to add some comments to this bug report: high ascii are garbled in the body when it was sent In-line ("Send page"). In case i forward the same message with incorrectly displayed chars to myself they are rendering correctly.
Using 4.5, I send page home.netscape.com/fr to myself. I can view the page with 5.0 (local build updated/build this morning) correctly.
I looked at the source of pages that have a problem and can add some info : all problematic pages have in the source this line:"Disposition :inline".Those that display fine do not mention anything about inline disposition.
After looking this over with Marina, the following seems to be causing this problem. When the original HTML page was sent as attachment from 4.5, the MIME option was set to "8-bit as is" and it was HTML mail. The above URL contains both HTML entities and 8-bit characters, and it arrives with the following headers: Charset: iso-8859-1 Content-Transefr encoding: 8-bit It's this type of msgs we seem to have a problem displaying. I was able to reproduce the problem under this condition. As an experiment, I sent 8-bit Latin 1 characters in plain text mail body and the display was OK. It then seems that we have a problem with 8-bit characters in HTML body.
Accepting, I can reproduce this. Looks like the conversion is done from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 in libmime. Need more investigation. Adding firstname.lastname@example.org to cc.
My last comment is incorrect. The conversion I saw was done for the subject header not for the attachment. Charset label of multi part is not used for the conversion (main body charset is used instead) in libmime. Reassign to Rich. --------------E29790070C6792C87CB96470 Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1; name="article.jhtml" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Content-Disposition: inline; filename="article.jhtml" Content-Base: "http://cnn.passagen.se/ekonomi/article .jhtml?articleID=556254" Content-Location: "http://cnn.passagen.se/ekonomi/article .jhtml?articleID=556254"
Thanks, Naoki. When I included 8bit characters in the 1st body/8-bit plain text main and then attached the above URL page, then both the 1st body part and the attachment body showed 8-bit characters correctly.
Looking into it...
Good catch and thanks for the help! I checked in a fix this afternoon (Saturday). - rhp
To marina for verification.
** Checked witrh 7/12/99 Win32 build ** (marina is on vacation -- pinch-hitting ...) I sent the original problem page with 4.7 with no 8-bit characters in the main body. This created a multi-part message with the 1st part bearing charset=us-ascii and the 2nd part, charset=iso-8859-1. The above had no problem displaying the accented characters of the attachment. Marking the fix verified.