Closed Bug 896475 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Update tests do not output the updater log when performing tests with Mozmill 2.0

Categories

(Mozilla QA Graveyard :: Mozmill Tests, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 886811

People

(Reporter: andrei, Assigned: andrei)

Details

While running update tests, mozmill should output the update log in the console.

Mozmill 1.5 works as intented. The output looks similar to this:
> [...]
> *** AUS:SVC gCanApplyUpdates - able to apply updates
> *** AUS:UI General:getPref - failed to get preference: app.update.billboard.test_url
> *** AUS:UI gUpdates:onLoad - setting current page to startpage checking
> *** AUS:SVC Checker: checkForUpdates, force: true
> *** AUS:SVC getLocale - getting locale from file: resource://gre/update.locale, locale: en-US
> *** AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/23.0/20130715155216/Darwin_x86_64-gcc3-u-i386-x86_64/en-US/beta/Darwin%2012.4.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
> *** AUS:SVC Checker:checkForUpdates - sending request to: https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/23.0/20130715155216/Darwin_x86_64-gcc3-u-i386-x86_64/en-US/beta/Darwin%2012.4.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
> *** AUS:SVC Checker:onLoad - request completed downloading document
> *** AUS:SVC Checker:getUpdateURL - update URL: https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/23.0/20130715155216/Darwin_x86_64-gcc3-u-i386-x86_64/en-US/beta/Darwin%2012.4.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1
> *** AUS:SVC Checker:onLoad - number of updates available: 1
> *** AUS:UI gCheckingPage:onCheckComplete - update found
> *** AUS:SVC Creating Downloader
> *** AUS:SVC UpdateService:_downloadUpdate
> *** AUS:SVC readStringFromFile - file doesn't exist: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
> *** AUS:SVC readStatusFile - status: null, path: /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.status
> *** AUS:SVC UpdateManager:_loadXMLFileIntoArray: XML file does not exist
> *** AUS:SVC UpdateManager:_loadXMLFileIntoArray: XML file does not exist
> *** AUS:SVC Downloader:downloadUpdate - downloading from http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-23.0b7-partial-23.0b6&os=osx&lang=en-US&force=1 to /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/updates/0/update.mar
> [...]

This same stream needs to be shown in Mozmill 2.0

**Note: we had an initial thought this might be related to not restarting mozmill between the tests in bug 886811 comment 15 but this appears not to be the case.
I don't think that this has something to do with Mozmill. Can you please show me what you have changed for the update tests to make them work with Mozmill 2? I'm fairly sure there is a failure on that side.
Component: Mozmill → Mozmill Tests
Flags: needinfo?(andrei.eftimie)
Product: Testing → Mozilla QA
Summary: Mozmill 2.0 doesn't show the updater log when performing update tests → Update tests do not output the updater log when performing tests with Mozmill 2.0
Whiteboard: [mozmill-2.1?]
They work with Mozmill 2.0 already.
I have added manual restart instructions in bug 886811 attachement 779199 but that did not make any difference.

I've opened this bug to investigate and fix the issue, I'll happily change the component to Mozmill Tests if/when I'll find that the problems location is there.
Flags: needinfo?(andrei.eftimie)
This works perfectly for me when I execute:

testrun_update /mozilla/bin/nightly/firefox --repository ../mozmill-tests/nightly/

*** UTM:SVC TimerManager:registerTimer - id: browser-cleanup-thumbnails
TEST-START | test2.js | setupModule
*** AUS:SVC Creating UpdateService
TEST-START | test2.js | testDirectUpdate_Download
*** AUS:SVC gCanCheckForUpdates - able to check for updates
*** AUS:SVC gCanApplyUpdates - testing write access /mozilla/bin/nightly/update.test
*** AUS:SVC gCanApplyUpdates - able to apply updates
*** AUS:SVC UpdateService:removeDownloadListener - no downloader!
*** AUS:SVC Checker: checkForUpdates, force: true
*** AUS:SVC getLocale - getting locale from file: resource://gre/update.locale, locale: en-US
[..]

The change I did is similar to your one in the other bug:

+function teardownModule(aModule) {
+  aModule.controller.restartApplication();
+}

So not sure why it doesn't work for you. But it's clearly not an issue with Mozmill but your patch. I will dupe this bug to bug 886811.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 886811
Product: Mozilla QA → Mozilla QA Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.