Closed Bug 914104 Opened 11 years ago Closed 9 years ago

WebRTC with audio/video recording

Categories

(Core :: WebRTC, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: u459114, Unassigned)

References

Details

(Keywords: meta)

File an issue for WebRTC with MediaRecorder.
Several open questions here
1. Should we do this? Is it moral to enable user to record remote media stream? 
2. Only muxer module support(VP8 to VP8, Opus to Opus, mux into WebM) or we want to provide transcode module as well(Opus to MP3).
(In reply to C.J. Ku[:CJKu] from comment #0)
> File an issue for WebRTC with MediaRecorder.
> Several open questions here
> 1. Should we do this? Is it moral to enable user to record remote media
> stream? 

This is already possible for the user (by sampling at the sound card) or for the web page (by using the Web Audio API). We plan to add a special constraint to the PeerConnection that taints the media so that not even the web page can access it. This will allow the construction of secure calling sites where the user knows the page does not have access to the media for situations when a user wants such guarantees (see bug 908928).

> 2. Only muxer module support(VP8 to VP8, Opus to Opus, mux into WebM) or we
> want to provide transcode module as well(Opus to MP3).

Currently we don't pass through encoded media at all, so we're always transcoding. I think it makes sense to continue to do that by default, and eventually add a fast path that avoids re-encoding when that is possible.
(In reply to Timothy B. Terriberry (:derf) from comment #1)
> (In reply to C.J. Ku[:CJKu] from comment #0)
> > File an issue for WebRTC with MediaRecorder.
> > Several open questions here
> > 1. Should we do this? Is it moral to enable user to record remote media
> > stream? 
> 
> This is already possible for the user (by sampling at the sound card) or for
> the web page (by using the Web Audio API). We plan to add a special
> constraint to the PeerConnection that taints the media so that not even the
> web page can access it. This will allow the construction of secure calling
> sites where the user knows the page does not have access to the media for
> situations when a user wants such guarantees (see bug 908928).
So, if a user wants such guarantees, we don't allow recording. Otherwise, we can record remote steam as we want.
> > 2. Only muxer module support(VP8 to VP8, Opus to Opus, mux into WebM) or we
> > want to provide transcode module as well(Opus to MP3).
> 
> Currently we don't pass through encoded media at all, so we're always
> transcoding. I think it makes sense to continue to do that by default, and
> eventually add a fast path that avoids re-encoding when that is possible.
Agree. seperate this task into two stage make each stage more clear and easy to implement.
In the first stage, we try to route remote media stream into recording module
In the second stage, we try to open a tunnel between encoded data and muxer.
Depends on: 891705, 881840, 883749
No longer blocks: b2g-multimedia
No longer depends on: 881840
This is a meta bug and all the issues and dependencies have been dealt with.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Keywords: meta
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.