Closed Bug 931371 Opened 8 years ago Closed 6 years ago
Debug build (TB - trunk) fails with: fatal error LNK1210: exceeded internal ILK size limit; link with /INCREMENTAL:NO
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:27.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/27.0 (Beta/Release) Build ID: 20131009120945 Steps to reproduce: I did a debug build from tb trunk. ac_add_options --disable-optimize ac_add_options --enable-debug ac_add_options --enable-debug-symbols ac_add_options --disable-tests ac_add_options --enable-logging ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing ac_add_options --disable-update-packaging ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter Actual results: Build log: [...] Creating library xul.lib and object xul.exp LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'LIBCMTD' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library MediaPipeline.obj : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol _NS_DebugBreak imported [... a lot more warnings sniped] LINK : fatal error LNK1210: exceeded internal ILK size limit; link with /INCREMENTAL:NO [...]
My build environment is: o VS2010 Express o MS Windows SDK 7.0 o Direct X SDK June 2010 on Windows XP 32bit
From other reports (from the #developers IRC channel) it looks like this might be a Windows 32-bit only issue (32bit Windows has a different memory limit compared to 64bit, see http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/283665/increase-linker-memory-to-avoid-linker-error-lnk1210-exceeded-internal-ilk-size-limit). Bug should still get fixed, but maybe this slows down a possible fix. For a workaround you could try to apply the patch from Bug 653662 to your local build.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Summary: Debug buld (TB - trunk) fails with: fatal error LNK1210: exceeded internal ILK size limit; link with /INCREMENTAL:NO → Debug build (TB - trunk) fails with: fatal error LNK1210: exceeded internal ILK size limit; link with /INCREMENTAL:NO
(In reply to Frank Wein [:mcsmurf] from comment #2) > might be a Windows 32-bit only issue (32bit Windows has a different memory > limit compared to 64bit, see The linker has a file size limitation of the ILK files. [your link] | In VS 2008, we did increase the ILK size limit for /3GB from 256MB to 384MB, | and when running under WoW64 on a 64-bit machine from 384MB to 768MB. > limit). Bug should still get fixed, but maybe this slows down a possible > fix. As a workaround I have set the /3GB flag. That helped. I was able to successfully create a debug build. While building the xul.ilk was 256MB in size. And at the end the file had a size of 210MB.
Ok, since this is now outdated, I close the bug as 'WORKSFORME'.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.