Submit a test keyboard (IME) app to official marketplace to facilitate the installation testing

RESOLVED FIXED in 1.4 S6 (25apr)

Status

Firefox OS
Gaia::System::Input Mgmt
RESOLVED FIXED
4 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: rudyl, Assigned: timdream)

Tracking

({dev-doc-needed})

unspecified
1.4 S6 (25apr)
ARM
Gonk (Firefox OS)
dev-doc-needed
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [3rd-party-keyboard])

This bug is created to track the progress that we need a testing keyboard (IME) app on marketplace so that QA people could download it to test the installation flow.

--
Oringinally, we leverage dev. marketplace to test this, but it requires some steps to install dev certificates to the devices.
 ref: https://gaia.hackpad.com/Install-Packaged-app-from-dev-marketplace-22fLYwKOyGx

Since some QAs may not tweak the build on the device easily, we would need this to be resolved.
Can we use Davids new test keyboard for this?
Taking. I am patching app validator so it could recognize an input app; after that I will submit test-keyboard-app with a little modification so that it will pass validation.
Assignee: nobody → timdream
https://github.com/mozilla/app-validator/pull/19
Component: Gaia::Keyboard → Gaia::System::Input Mgmt
WIP: https://github.com/timdream/gaia/tree/lol-keyboard/test_apps/test-keyboard-app

The actual code merge to Gaia will be depend on Marketplace review result.
The patch was pulled in, thanks Tim.  This is scheduled to go out Jan 14 to Marketplace prod.
Right. I will wait until that.
can we have the MDN documents updated please?  They're all still referring to keyboard rather than input.
Keywords: dev-doc-needed
I've submitted the app

https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/lol-keyboard/
(In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #7)
> can we have the MDN documents updated please?  They're all still referring
> to keyboard rather than input.

Andrew, can I have some pointers to the documentation you are referring too?
(In reply to Tim Guan-tin Chien [:timdream] (MoCo-TPE) (please ni?) from comment #9)
> (In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #7)
> > can we have the MDN documents updated please?  They're all still referring
> > to keyboard rather than input.
> 
> Andrew, can I have some pointers to the documentation you are referring too?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Apps/Developing/App_permissions 
which then links to https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/KeboardIME in the table (there should be documents for the DOM APIs too really).

I also found https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Hacking_Firefox_OS/Customizing_the_keyboard which is a little inconsistent - it mentions the input permission, then implies 'keyboard' as the role keyword.
Hi Andrew,

I have updated the following 2 pages,
 - https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/KeboardIME
 - https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Hacking_Firefox_OS/Customizing_the_keyboard

role, permission should be "input".
And "entry_points" field has been changed to "inputs".
Depends on: 962656
Wil,

According to your e-mail this bug no longer blocks on feature detection. If that's true please approve the submission of the test app. Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw)
eviljeff is the guy for approvals
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw) → needinfo?(awilliamson)
(In reply to Tim Guan-tin Chien [:timdream] (MoCo-TPE) (please ni?) from comment #12)
> Wil,
> 
> According to your e-mail this bug no longer blocks on feature detection. If
> that's true please approve the submission of the test app. Thanks.

What email?
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
(In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #14)
> What email?

Wil sent an e-mail to dev-webapi and a private B2G mailing list. I don't know why I couldn't find it on dev-webapi archive so I am pasting this below (with address to private B2G address retracted).

http://pastebin.com/jdqx0SHr

Read line 54. I take that as temporary invalidation of the Marketplace feature detection until bug 900241 is fixed, thus we should be able to publish this app without having a mean to do feature detection first.
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
that is one way of looking at it, yes.  The other way is now we don't have feature detection at all there is no way to exclude these apps from the 99% of users who won't be able to use them, so we shouldn't publish the apps until the appropriate version of FxOS is out in the market.  We need to look further into this question.

To get an idea of timescale, etc, what version of FxOS has 3rd party keyboard support landed in? 1.3?
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
(In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #16)
> To get an idea of timescale, etc, what version of FxOS has 3rd party
> keyboard support landed in? 1.3?

The feature is enabled in Gaia on master/1.5 and disabled on 1.2/1.3/1.4. To recap, the API in Gecko was landed on 1.2.

The timescale is really irrelevant. We want this bug to be fixed so we could make sure the installation flow is intact (through contracted 3rd-party QA services). If we cannot sure of that, the feature will be buggy even if it actually ships.
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw)
You're not waiting on anything from me - Andrew handles any kind of app reviews/approvals.
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw)
Depends on: 997100

Comment 19

4 years ago
:eviljeff

keyboard and expanded IME support will be critical for successful launches in India.  Some of our competitors offer input in as many as 20 Indic languages.  We've confirmed the features on this phone
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/micromax-bolt-a068-with-android-42-multi-language-support-launched-at-rs-6490-484615


We know of at least one partner that is racing to try and use 1.3 builds as the first launch target in India.   In the case if India a very high pct. of FirefoxOS users *will* use marketplace to get keyboards if we can't squeeze them on to the $25 devices.

We also have a GSoC that could deliver several new Indic keyboards and we are trying to make that team successful and have a delivery mechanism in place for their work.

http://wiki.smc.org.in/User:Psbots/gsoc2014

We need some support to meet at least this set of requirements soon.
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
:eviljeff
:clouserw

am i reading this thread right?
- ideally marketplace would offer test keyboard (IME) app only to those devices with the feature enabled (962656) however, we are blocked on feature detection
- if we approve this app now, it will go live to everyone

what's the workaround in the meantime please, while our faces turn blue waiting for feature detection?
- a collection called : "testing the marketplace" where the keyboard (and other test apps) get put?
- name the app clearly "test 3rd party keyboard"

recommendation please on the shortest path to contributors being able to use this test app
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw)
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
If it runs but doesn't do anything I would approve it and explain that it is a test app in the description.  I think the idea is to test, not to get 5-star reviews.

If it crashes the phone or deletes all my photos I'd probably not approve it.
Flags: needinfo?(clouserw)
(In reply to chris hofmann from comment #19)
> :eviljeff
> 
> keyboard and expanded IME support will be critical for successful launches
> in India.  Some of our competitors offer input in as many as 20 Indic
> languages.  We've confirmed the features on this phone
> http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/micromax-bolt-a068-with-android-42-
> multi-language-support-launched-at-rs-6490-484615
> 
> 
> We know of at least one partner that is racing to try and use 1.3 builds as
> the first launch target in India.   In the case if India a very high pct. of
> FirefoxOS users *will* use marketplace to get keyboards if we can't squeeze
> them on to the $25 devices.

My initial reluctance to approve was based on the fact that 3rd party keyboard apps can't currently be feature detected on device, so users would be offered an app they can't use.  With keyboard apps there is the additional issue that they aren't shown on the homescreen so (to most users) they aren't effectively uninstallable either.  

Comment #17 states that 3rd party keyboards are only supported in 1.5+ (though, until 1.5/2.0 is feature complete, I'm not sure even that is guaranteed) so unless the work has been back-ported to 1.3T then the keyboards won't work on Tarako.  Please confirm platform support.
Flags: needinfo?(awilliamson)
(In reply to Caitlin Galimidi from comment #20)
> :eviljeff
> :clouserw
> 
> am i reading this thread right?
> - ideally marketplace would offer test keyboard (IME) app only to those
> devices with the feature enabled (962656) however, we are blocked on feature
> detection
> - if we approve this app now, it will go live to everyone
> 
> what's the workaround in the meantime please, while our faces turn blue
> waiting for feature detection?
> - a collection called : "testing the marketplace" where the keyboard (and
> other test apps) get put?
> - name the app clearly "test 3rd party keyboard"
> 
> recommendation please on the shortest path to contributors being able to use
> this test app

TBH I thought the test app issue had been worked around with bug 997100 so there wasn't any priority to have it live.  If that isn't the case and its needed for Tarako testing then as long as its very clearly marked as a test app, and explicit in the description which versions of FxOS it will work with then it could be approved.  :timdream ?

(In reply to Wil Clouser [:clouserw] from comment #21)
> If it runs but doesn't do anything I would approve it and explain that it is
> a test app in the description.  

On <=1.1 it won't install.  On >=1.2 it will install but not be usable, and not be visible on the homescreen (IIRC, last time I check).
Flags: needinfo?(timdream)
(In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #23)
> TBH I thought the test app issue had been worked around with bug 997100 so
> there wasn't any priority to have it live.  

The purpose of this bug, compare to Gaia bug 997100, is explicitly about getting the test app on Marketplace for testing purpose. Please do not confuse this one with bug 997100.

> If that isn't the case and its
> needed for Tarako testing then as long as its very clearly marked as a test
> app, and explicit in the description which versions of FxOS it will work
> with then it could be approved.  :timdream ?

Tarako v1.3T will not have the feature turned on. The feature is looking to ship for 2.0.

The release to ship is irrelevant -- without the test app we can't verify the installation flow; without it as the precedent we can't tell GSoC their work can be seen on Marketplace, for sure.

> (In reply to Wil Clouser [:clouserw] from comment #21)
> > If it runs but doesn't do anything I would approve it and explain that it is
> > a test app in the description.  
> 
> On <=1.1 it won't install.  On >=1.2 it will install but not be usable, and
> not be visible on the homescreen (IIRC, last time I check).

It would work on >= 2.0. Please tell me the exact sentence to put in the description for the app to get approved.
Flags: needinfo?(timdream)
(In reply to Tim Guan-tin Chien [:timdream] (MoCo-TPE) (please ni?) from comment #24)
> It would work on >= 2.0. Please tell me the exact sentence to put in the
> description for the app to get approved.

"This app ONLY works for devices using FirefoxOS 2.0+.  It will NOT work on older versions of FirefoxOS"
(In reply to Tim Guan-tin Chien [:timdream] (MoCo-TPE) (please ni?) from comment #24)
> Tarako v1.3T will not have the feature turned on. The feature is looking to
> ship for 2.0.

Just flagging this to choffman if the plan is to have those Indian keyboards available for Tarako users.
Flags: needinfo?(chofmann)

Comment 27

4 years ago
A partner may eventually request that, but its not certain.  getting this working on 2.0 for now is good for me and the GSoC project and sounds like a good starting point.
Flags: needinfo?(chofmann)
(In reply to Andrew Williamson [:eviljeff] from comment #25)
> (In reply to Tim Guan-tin Chien [:timdream] (MoCo-TPE) (please ni?) from
> comment #24)
> > It would work on >= 2.0. Please tell me the exact sentence to put in the
> > description for the app to get approved.
> 
> "This app ONLY works for devices using FirefoxOS 2.0+.  It will NOT work on
> older versions of FirefoxOS"

Done. I correct the branding (s/FirefoxOS/Firefox OS/g)
calling this bug fixed.  If there are other related issues that don't explicitly relate to this test keyboard app (e.g. what to do about 3rd party keyboard apps in general when FxOS won't support them until 2.0 at least) then file new bugs or send email, etc.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
chofmann: do you have everything you need at this point?
Flags: needinfo?(chofmann)

Comment 31

4 years ago
I think so.  Tim, or the GSoC intern,  or partners that need additional keyboard support can file new bugs if we need to change or expand things from here.

thanks to all for helping get some support for this.

Updated

4 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(chofmann)
Target Milestone: --- → 1.4 S6 (25apr)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.