Closed Bug 946589 Opened 6 years ago Closed 6 years ago

B2G RIL: follow-up to bug 944225 - remove 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' setting handler

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: RIL, defect)

ARM
Gonk (Firefox OS)
defect
Not set

Tracking

(blocking-b2g:1.3T+, b2g-v1.3T fixed)

RESOLVED FIXED
1.4 S3 (14mar)
blocking-b2g 1.3T+
Tracking Status
b2g-v1.3T --- fixed

People

(Reporter: jessica, Assigned: edgar)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files, 2 obsolete files)

After gaia swtiches using the new web api for setting/getting preferred network type, we should remove the 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' setting handler in gecko. Please refer to bug 944225 and bug 946548.
Depends on: 944225, 946548
I guess it is safe to remove the 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' handler now.
Assignee: nobody → echen
Blocks: 843452
Attached patch Patch, v1 (obsolete) — Splinter Review
Now that 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' is not used anymore, we can't preserve user's selection after power cycle. Some modems will keep this setting, I tested on Buri and it returns the previous selected network type after reboot, but Fugu does not. I am not sure what is the expected behavior?
Anyway, the 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' setting is broken, it's always the default one on boot-up cause nobody sets it now. So, I think it's safe to remove it. Thank you! :)
(In reply to Jessica Jong [:jjong] [:jessica] from comment #3)
> Now that 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' is not used anymore, we can't
> preserve user's selection after power cycle. Some modems will keep this

For preserving user's selection, I think this should be handled in Gaia side (maybe system app?), just like the airplane mode [1].

Thank you.

[1] Please see https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/apps/system/js/airplane_mode.js

> setting, I tested on Buri and it returns the previous selected network type
> after reboot, but Fugu does not. I am not sure what is the expected behavior?
> Anyway, the 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' setting is broken, it's always
> the default one on boot-up cause nobody sets it now. So, I think it's safe
> to remove it. Thank you! :)
Attachment #8374823 - Flags: review?(htsai)
(In reply to Jessica Jong [:jjong] [:jessica] from comment #3)
> Now that 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' is not used anymore, we can't
> preserve user's selection after power cycle. Some modems will keep this
> setting, I tested on Buri and it returns the previous selected network type
> after reboot, but Fugu does not. I am not sure what is the expected behavior?
> Anyway, the 'ril.radio.preferredNetworkType' setting is broken, it's always
> the default one on boot-up cause nobody sets it now. So, I think it's safe
> to remove it. Thank you! :)
(In reply to Edgar Chen [:edgar][:echen] from comment #4)
> For preserving user's selection, I think this should be handled in Gaia side
> (maybe system app?), just like the airplane mode [1].
> 
> Thank you.
> 
> [1] Please see
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/apps/system/js/airplane_mode.
> js


Please see bug 974253. Thank you.
Comment on attachment 8374823 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch, v1

GECKO_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE_DEFAULT seems redundant, we should remove this as well.
Attachment #8374823 - Flags: review?(htsai)
Attached patch Patch, v2 (obsolete) — Splinter Review
Remove GECKO_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE_DEFAULT as well.
Attachment #8378162 - Flags: review?(htsai)
Attachment #8374823 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Comment on attachment 8378162 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch, v2

Review of attachment 8378162 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nice.
Attachment #8378162 - Flags: review?(htsai) → review+
Nominate for 1.3T as it blocks bug 974253 which is a 1.3T blocker.
blocking-b2g: --- → 1.3T?
blocking-b2g: 1.3T? → 1.3T+
Hi Edgar, is this bug ready for patch landing? thanks
Flags: needinfo?(echen)
(In reply to Joe Cheng [:jcheng] from comment #11)
> Hi Edgar, is this bug ready for patch landing? thanks

Yes, I will land it after passing the test of try server. Thank you.
Flags: needinfo?(echen)
Rebase only.
Attachment #8378162 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #8390267 - Flags: review+
Patch for 1.3T branch.
Attachment #8390335 - Flags: review+
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/2d12ebd194c3
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Flags: in-testsuite+
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → 1.4 S3 (14mar)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.