MacOS X come with many CJK fonts which have a lot of CJK charcters
1. You need to install Language kits which are optional installation in MacOS X.
Install all of them
2. bring up "Applications:TextEdit" with an empty page.
3. In mozilla, go to http://people.netscape.com/ftang/demo/ncr.cgi?r=0x5c=0x0
You will see some characters display some not.
4. copy all the text below the table in the "Propotional Font" Part in that pate
and paste into TextEdit
The copy and paste is good, you will see TextEdit will display some CJK
characters and display the rest by using "Last Resort Fonts" while Mozilla
display them by using "?"
If you look carefully, you will see TextEdit display more characters than
Mozilla, for example, In the first row, mozilla cannot display 5 characters, but
TextEdit cannot display 4 characters. Mozilla cannot display U+5001
in the second row, mozilla cannot display 5 characters, but TextEdit cannot
display 4 characters. Mozilla cannot display U+5010
Here are the character that mozilla cannot display but TextEdit can:
I already have my TTF CMAP parsing patch (see bug 90804) in my local build while
I see this. I guess the problem could be
1. the font which contains that glyps is not TrueType font (Open Type?)
2. The font is not encoded in platform =3 platforntSpecific=1
I probably need to tweak my TTF CMAP parsing code later to make this work.
move to m94
Frank, is this going to make 0.9.4? Do you have reviewers?
no, move to m0.9.5
move to m97
Does this really block bug 90804 ?
Can't you land the patch for 90804 and solve this remaining problem later ?
I have the feeling the current state is good enough for most use, if people want
exotic characters, they are used to importing the font needed, they are lots of
PC TTF font your code should be able to parse around, so they won't be so much
fixed and check in
The characters in that range are display same amount as in apple textEditor on
11-19 trunk build.
Mark it as verified.