If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Unhandled IRC message: 310

NEW
Unassigned

Status

Chat Core
IRC
--
minor
4 years ago
26 days ago

People

(Reporter: clokep, Unassigned, Mentored)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [good first bug])

(Reporter)

Description

4 years ago
*** Original post on bio 1711 at 2012-09-27 18:04:00 UTC ***

310 	RPL_WHOISSVCMSG 	Bahamut 		
310 	RPL_WHOISHELPOP 	Unreal 		
310 	RPL_WHOISSERVICE 	AustHex

Timestamp: 27/09/12 16:52:39
Warning: Unhandled IRC message: :gravel.mozilla.org 310 florian1 reed :is available for help.
Source File: jar:file:///Applications/Instantbird.app/Contents/MacOS/omni.ja!/components/irc.js
Line: 571
Source Code:
irc

Comment 1

3 years ago
Also appears on inspircd as

Warning: Unhandled IRC message:
:bender.chatspike.net 310 aleth1 NickServ :is an ChatSpike Service
Source File: resource://gre/components/irc.js
Line: 691
Source Code:
prpl-irc: ircSocket.prototype.onDataReceived

Updated

3 years ago
Mentor: aleth@instantbird.org
Whiteboard: [good first bug]

Comment 2

3 years ago
Hi,

I would like to work on this bug. How should I proceed ?

Thanks in advance,
shreyas

Comment 3

3 years ago
Hi,

I would like to work on this bug. How should I proceed ?

Thanks in advance,
shreyas
Hi shreyas!

A good starting step would be to understand what's happening here. You should be able to answer the following questions:
a) What's an IRC message?
b) What does it mean when it's "unhandled"?
c) What's the correct way to "handle" it? (This part is not necessarily very straightforward.)

Details of the IRC protocol are available on the internet. The first comment gives you a hint at what to search for in order to figure out what the "310" message is all about. Sometimes documentation can be obscure - ask questions if you are stuck!

Please feel free to join us on #instantbird on Mozilla's IRC network. Someone or the other is usually online.

Thanks for your interest!

Comment 5

2 years ago
Hey there, I see this bug has been idle for almost a year now. Would I be able to take it over? I'm looking to fix a GFB as part of my CSC302 course at the University of Toronto. 

Thanks,
Jacob

Comment 6

2 years ago
(In reply to Jacob Reinertson from comment #5)
> Hey there, I see this bug has been idle for almost a year now. Would I be
> able to take it over? I'm looking to fix a GFB as part of my CSC302 course
> at the University of Toronto. 

Sure! It's pretty straightforward - we likely just want to ignore this message when it happens as we don't have a useful way of displaying it in the UI, so the "handling" to be added is trivial. For STR try connecting to irc.chatspike.net (from comment 1).

Comment 7

2 years ago
Hey Aleth, 

I've been trying to build Instantbird, but I keep getting an error during compilation that seems to match the error that the instantbird buildbot is getting. Would it be acceptable to work off the Mozilla 1.9.2 branch of comm-central?

Also, I wasn't sure if I should somehow try and distinguish between the 3 listed types of 310 Messages, or if just generically handling it would be sufficient.

Thanks, 
Jacob
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)
(In reply to Jacob Reinertson from comment #7)
> Hey Aleth, 
> 
> I've been trying to build Instantbird, but I keep getting an error during
> compilation

It would be helpful if you could show the compilation error you are encountering, either here or with a pastebin on IRC.

> Would it be acceptable to work off the Mozilla 1.9.2 branch of
> comm-central?

No, this is very outdated code.

Comment 9

2 years ago
(In reply to Jacob Reinertson from comment #7)
> Also, I wasn't sure if I should somehow try and distinguish between the 3
> listed types of 310 Messages, or if just generically handling it would be
> sufficient.

No, since we're not going to do anything with the information, it doesn't matter.
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)

Comment 10

2 years ago
(In reply to Florian Quèze [:florian] [:flo] from comment #8)
> (In reply to Jacob Reinertson from comment #7)
> > Hey Aleth, 
> > 
> > I've been trying to build Instantbird, but I keep getting an error during
> > compilation
> 
> It would be helpful if you could show the compilation error you are
> encountering, either here or with a pastebin on IRC.

Sure thing, I copied over the terminal just before the first error occurs: http://pastebin.com/5i6TnxZ6 . The buildbot log I was referencing is here http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/linux64-nightly-default/builds/607/steps/compile/logs/stdio , as far as I can tell it's getting the same compilation errors in comm-central/im/components/mintrayr/trayToolkit.cpp. I'm trying to build on Linux Mint 17.3 64bit, if that matters.

Comment 11

2 years ago
(In reply to Jacob Reinertson from comment #10)
> Sure thing, I copied over the terminal just before the first error occurs:
> http://pastebin.com/5i6TnxZ6 . The buildbot log I was referencing is here
> http://buildbot.instantbird.org/builders/linux64-nightly-default/builds/607/
> steps/compile/logs/stdio , as far as I can tell it's getting the same
> compilation errors in comm-central/im/components/mintrayr/trayToolkit.cpp.
> I'm trying to build on Linux Mint 17.3 64bit, if that matters.

Yes, this is bug 1249870. Until that is resolved, you can probably build by temporarily backing out the patches from bug 1241764 from your local mozilla repo.

Comment 12

28 days ago
Hey, I guess this bug hasn't been resolved yet. So, can I take it up?
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)
(Reporter)

Comment 13

26 days ago
Yes, absolutely. I'm not sure what the behavior should be here, we could possible just ignore the message.

It doesn't seem like https://defs.ircdocs.horse/defs/numerics.html#rpl-whoissvcmsg-310 offers much more information.
(Reporter)

Updated

26 days ago
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.