Closed Bug 955149 Opened 11 years ago Closed 11 years ago

Refer to channel passwords not keys for IRC

Categories

(Chat Core :: IRC, defect)

defect
Not set
trivial

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: clokep, Assigned: clokep)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-07 23:19:00 UTC ***

*** Due to BzAPI limitations, the initial description is in comment 1 ***
Blocks: 954973
Attached patch String changesSplinter Review
*** Original post on bio 1721 as attmnt 1939 at 2012-10-07 23:19:00 UTC ***

Per bug 955084 (bio 1655), we should refer to a "channel password" (which is what it is called in the Join Chat dialog) not to "channel keys".

I'm going to say that this does NOT need the entities to be changed because we have not released with this (and I find it highly unlikely that anyone translated those strings yet).
Attachment #8353695 - Flags: review?(florian)
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 10:05:06 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #0)

> I find it highly unlikely that anyone translated those strings yet.

Whether you find it likely or not doesn't change that it's safer to check with real data:
http://hg.instantbird.org/l10n/locales-status.html shows that the cs, sk, and sv-SE have already translated these two recent strings.

This patch is OK with me if you are going to email these two translators (cs and sk are made by the same person) to ensure they notice the change. (I suspect the reason why they pick up changes so quickly is that they follow the rss feed of the en-US repository; so if they do that it's likely that they will notice by themselves anyway, but it's better to double check.
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 13:18:15 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #1)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > I find it highly unlikely that anyone translated those strings yet.
> Whether you find it likely or not doesn't change that it's safer to check with
> real data:
> http://hg.instantbird.org/l10n/locales-status.html shows that the cs, sk, and
> sv-SE have already translated these two recent strings.
I've been proved wrong...

> This patch is OK with me if you are going to email these two translators (cs
> and sk are made by the same person) to ensure they notice the change. (I
> suspect the reason why they pick up changes so quickly is that they follow the
> rss feed of the en-US repository; so if they do that it's likely that they will
> notice by themselves anyway, but it's better to double check.
Email sent. We'll wait for any word from the translators. I dislike adding numbers after entities if it is unnecessary.
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 13:41:08 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #2)

> Email sent. We'll wait for any word from the translators. I dislike adding
> numbers after entities if it is unnecessary.

If they are aware of the change I think the number is unnecessary. The point of the number is to make the untranslated (or outdated) string show up in compare-locales' output.
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 14:07:48 UTC ***

Other uses of the "key" word in irc.properties:
 51 command.join=%S <room1>[ <key1>][,<room2>[ <key2>]]*: Enter one or more channels, optionally providing a channel key for each if needed.
147 error.wrongKey=Cannot join %S, invalid channel key.
Comment on attachment 8353695 [details] [diff] [review]
String changes

*** Original change on bio 1721 attmnt 1939 at 2012-10-08 18:42:03 UTC ***

I was under time pressure to land this in comm-central before the merge, so I took this patch and also changed key -> password in the error.wrongKey string (these 3 strings weren't in comm-central yet).

I didn't touch command.join as that string has been around for a while. I only fixed the new strings that were about to be introduced in comm-central by https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=799068. I hope that's OK with you.
Attachment #8353695 - Flags: review?(florian) → review+
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 18:42:39 UTC ***

http://hg.instantbird.org/instantbird/rev/304666c5e805
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 11 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → 1.3
*** Original post on bio 1721 at 2012-10-08 21:08:31 UTC ***

(In reply to comment #5)
> Comment on attachment 8353695 [details] [diff] [review] (bio-attmnt 1939) [details]
> String changes
> 
> I was under time pressure to land this in comm-central before the merge, so I
> took this patch and also changed key -> password in the error.wrongKey string
> (these 3 strings weren't in comm-central yet).
> 
> I didn't touch command.join as that string has been around for a while. I only
> fixed the new strings that were about to be introduced in comm-central by
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=799068. I hope that's OK with you.

That sounds great, thanks for fixing it. :)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.

Attachment

General

Created:
Updated:
Size: