I've switched my daily browser to be galeon, a gtk browser
that embeds gecko. One of the features they have done that
I really like is something they call "smart bookmarks toolbar".
This is a toolbar with label/textfield pairs that does a simple %s
substitution of the textfield value with the associated bookmark.
You can see this toolbar in a screenshot here:
E.g. for the bugzilla textfield, type in a bug number and hit enter,
browser then goes to that bug page.
I know we already have a %s mechanism, but it has a hidden UI and
it is difficult to use, or remember how to use. This is brain-dead
easy, and the UI for setting this up is also the bookmarks menu.
It might be pretty easy to get this going, and I think it would
be a big hit with people. I use this feature every day, it's great.
You can run galeon from my machine coffee (setenv DISPLAY :0.0)
to see how this works.
I switch back and forth between galeon and mozilla, and I REALLY miss the smart
bookmarks toolbar when I go to mozilla. I got addicted to it almost immediately
-- it's so much faster than popups for things like "find bugzilla bug #" or
"look up user in phonebook".
->bookmarks, methinks (this time :).
Galeon also makes it very easy to add these smartbookmarks.
I think mozilla could also make it easier to add keyword searches. For instance
if each time the user adds a bookmarks which contains a "%s" galeon could ask if
the user wants it as a galeon-style smartbookmark or as a keyword search (and
then ask the user for a keyword).
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but has been without a comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project. This means that it was logged against the old Mozilla suite and we cannot determine that it's still valid for the current SeaMonkey suite. Because of this, we are setting it to an UNCONFIRMED state.
If you can confirm that this report still applies to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it back to the NEW state along with a comment on how you reproduced it on what Build ID, or if it's an enhancement request, why it's still worth implementing and in what way.
If you can confirm that the report doesn't apply to current SeaMonkey 2.x nightly builds, please set it to the appropriate RESOLVED state (WORKSFORME, INVALID, WONTFIX, or similar).
If no action happens within the next few months, we move this bug report to an EXPIRED state.
Query tag for this change: mass-UNCONFIRM-20090614
This bug report is registered in the SeaMonkey product, but still has no comment since the inception of the SeaMonkey project 5 years ago.
Because of this, we're resolving the bug as EXPIRED.
If you still can reproduce the bug on SeaMonkey 2 or otherwise think it's still valid, please REOPEN it and if it is a platform or toolkit issue, move it to the according component.
Query tag for this change: EXPIRED-20100420
Someone please reopen this and reassign it to Firefox. I want to finally switch away from Galeon but I cannot use Firefox without this feature.