Closed Bug 969288 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Prettier bookmarks add-on compatibility: Australis bookmark widget does not display list of bookmarks when in the bookmark / personal toolbar

Categories

(WebExtensions :: General, defect)

x86
Windows 7
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: flore, Unassigned)

References

(Blocks 2 open bugs)

Details

(Whiteboard: [Australis:P-])

Attachments

(2 files)

I moved the bookmark widget to the personal toolbar, I noticed that only the star appears and the list of bookmarks is not present. But it is present when I move the widget on any other toolbar or the australis menu.

The widget should be displayed (especially in the bookmark toolbar).
Can you reproduce this on Nightly?
Flags: needinfo?(Flore)
Keywords: regression
Whiteboard: [Australis:P3]
Works for me with win32 nightly of 2014-02-03
Cleared the needinfo request as I asked Sébastien to test this on nightly :-)
(In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #3)
> Cleared the needinfo request as I asked Sébastien to test this on nightly :-)

Actually clearing it now. Yeah, it works for me as well on Nightly. Which means we probably fixed this but didn't uplift the fix... but I don't know which bug that would be. :-\
Flags: needinfo?(Flore)
Bug #964218 might be the one?
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #4)
> (In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #3)
> > Cleared the needinfo request as I asked Sébastien to test this on nightly :-)
> 
> Actually clearing it now. Yeah, it works for me as well on Nightly. Which
> means we probably fixed this but didn't uplift the fix... but I don't know
> which bug that would be. :-\

Huh, but it works for me on today's Aurora build as well. Flore, can you check on today's build? If it's still broken, can you try a new profile and let us know if it works there? Thank you!
(In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #5)
> Bug #964218 might be the one?

That was fixed by bug 964887, which landed on Nightly when it was still 29, so that should be fixed on Aurora, too... Can you try my suggestion in comment #6 ? (sorry, our comments crossed paths)
Flags: needinfo?(Flore)
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #6)
> (In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #4)
> > (In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #3)
> > > Cleared the needinfo request as I asked Sébastien to test this on nightly :-)
> > 
> > Actually clearing it now. Yeah, it works for me as well on Nightly. Which
> > means we probably fixed this but didn't uplift the fix... but I don't know
> > which bug that would be. :-\
> 
> Huh, but it works for me on today's Aurora build as well. Flore, can you
> check on today's build? If it's still broken, can you try a new profile and
> let us know if it works there? Thank you!

I use aurora 29.0a2 (2014-02-06), my first contact with australis in fact.
It works on a new profile. Sorry to have bothered you with another invalid bug. I should clean my profile (not so easy on a portable version where you can't reset Firefox to default).
(In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #8)
> (In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #6)
> > (In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #4)
> > > (In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #3)
> > > > Cleared the needinfo request as I asked Sébastien to test this on nightly :-)
> > > 
> > > Actually clearing it now. Yeah, it works for me as well on Nightly. Which
> > > means we probably fixed this but didn't uplift the fix... but I don't know
> > > which bug that would be. :-\
> > 
> > Huh, but it works for me on today's Aurora build as well. Flore, can you
> > check on today's build? If it's still broken, can you try a new profile and
> > let us know if it works there? Thank you!
> 
> I use aurora 29.0a2 (2014-02-06), my first contact with australis in fact.
> It works on a new profile. Sorry to have bothered you with another invalid
> bug. I should clean my profile (not so easy on a portable version where you
> can't reset Firefox to default).

I'm not convinced it's invalid yet. It's just hard to reproduce or there's an add-on involved... On your regular profile, is it broken in safe mode? (does that work with portable Firefox?)
OK, I tried in safemode : it works... I can send you a list of my addons if you think it could help.

Although there is still something weird (and in a new profile also) that I just noticed: when in the bookmark bar, the star is white but everywhere else it is black.
When the page is in the bookmarks, the star is yellow as expected.

Might be there is a bug (not the one I reported, though).
(In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #10)
> Created attachment 8372245 [details]
> australis_bm_widget_safemode.png
> 
> OK, I tried in safemode : it works... I can send you a list of my addons if
> you think it could help.

If you can still reproduce after going back to 'normal' mode, then yes please. The best would be if you could figure out which add-on is causing this... it might be a problem with the add-on, it might be a problem with our code. Either way it'd be good to know.

> Although there is still something weird (and in a new profile also) that I
> just noticed: when in the bookmark bar, the star is white but everywhere
> else it is black.
> When the page is in the bookmarks, the star is yellow as expected.

Yeah, that part is expected (at least somewhat) as there are separate icons. One is 16x16px, one is 18x18px... Long story. :-)
OK, I found the addon that was causing the problem (the last that I tested, the first I should have tested, of course). It's prettier bookmarks: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prettier-bookmarks/
I installed it because it shortens the label of bookmarks in the toolbar so I can have more bookmarks in the toolbar (guess I could do this by myself...)
Flags: needinfo?(Flore)
(In reply to Flore Allemandou from comment #12)
> OK, I found the addon that was causing the problem (the last that I tested,
> the first I should have tested, of course). It's prettier bookmarks:
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/prettier-bookmarks/
> I installed it because it shortens the label of bookmarks in the toolbar so
> I can have more bookmarks in the toolbar (guess I could do this by myself...)

Great info. I'll move this to tech evangelism.

Siddhartha, maybe you want to have a look at this? :-)
Component: Toolbars and Customization → Add-ons
Keywords: regression
Product: Firefox → Tech Evangelism
Whiteboard: [Australis:P3] → [Australis:P-]
Version: 29 Branch → Trunk
Summary: Australis bookmark widget does not display list of bookmarks when in the bookmark / personal toolbar → Prettier bookmarks add-on compatibility: Australis bookmark widget does not display list of bookmarks when in the bookmark / personal toolbar
The add-on has been marked as incompatible and downgraded to reduce its visibility. There's nothing else to do here.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Component: Add-ons → General
Product: Tech Evangelism → WebExtensions
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.