Closed Bug 974656 Opened 10 years ago Closed 9 years ago

Linux crash in gfxContext::PushClipsToDT(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*)


(Core :: Graphics, defect, P5)




Tracking Status
firefox29 --- affected
firefox30 --- affected
firefox31 --- affected
firefox32 --- affected
fennec + ---


(Reporter: u279076, Unassigned)



(Keywords: crash, topcrash-android-armv7, topcrash-linux)

Crash Data

This bug was filed from the Socorro interface and is 
report bp-77e8e96f-f5fe-4f51-98e5-52c542140216.
0 	gfxContext::PushClipsToDT(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) 	gfx/thebes/gfxContext.cpp
1 	gfxContext::PushGroup(gfxContentType) 	gfx/thebes/gfxContext.cpp
2 	mozilla::layers::BasicLayerManager::PushGroupForLayer(gfxContext*, mozilla::layers::Layer*, nsIntRegion const&, bool*) 	gfx/layers/basic/BasicLayerManager.cpp
3 	mozilla::layers::BasicLayerManager::PaintLayer(gfxContext*, mozilla::layers::Layer*, void (*)(mozilla::layers::ThebesLayer*, gfxContext*, nsIntRegion const&, mozilla::layers::DrawRegionClip, nsIntRegion const&, void*), void*, mozilla::layers::ReadbackProcessor*) 	gfx/layers/basic/BasicLayerManager.cpp
4 	mozilla::layers::BasicLayerManager::EndTransactionInternal(void (*)(mozilla::layers::ThebesLayer*, gfxContext*, nsIntRegion const&, mozilla::layers::DrawRegionClip, nsIntRegion const&, void*), void*, mozilla::layers::LayerManager::EndTransactionFlags) 	gfx/layers/basic/BasicLayerManager.cpp
5 	PresShell::Paint(nsView*, nsRegion const&, unsigned int) 	layout/base/nsPresShell.cpp
6 	nsViewManager::Refresh(nsView*, nsIntRegion const&) 	view/src/nsViewManager.cpp
7 	nsViewManager::PaintWindow(nsIWidget*, nsIntRegion) 	view/src/nsViewManager.cpp
8 	nsView::PaintWindow(nsIWidget*, nsIntRegion) 	view/src/nsView.cpp
9 	nsWindow::OnExposeEvent(_GdkEventExpose*) 	widget/gtk/nsWindow.cpp
10 	expose_event_cb 	widget/gtk/nsWindow.cpp

More reports:

This is similar to bug 805406 but that bug is specific to these crashes on Windows. I'm filing this new bug to track this signature on Linux since we're now seeing a significant volume there. In overall volume Linux accounts for only 1.41% at 518 crashes. However comparing this just to other Linux crashes this sits at #2 on Nightly, #3 on Beta, #46 on Release
See Also: → 805406
Summary: crash in gfxContext::PushClipsToDT(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) → Linux crash in gfxContext::PushClipsToDT(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*)
This is the #2 crash in Firefox 29.
Milan, could you help us here?
Flags: needinfo?(milan)
Working on the matching Windows bug 805406 first; once we have something that's validated as a fix there, we can get a Linux version.
As Milan says, Bas has been trying to get this fixed in bug 805406 in a few ways, but in the end, we found out this didn't help very much as most of those are probably OOM situations that just end up in this signature (my personal guess as someone who doesn't know the code but listened to the explanations of circumstances is that an OOM situation triggers a graphics card reset and that makes us crash).
This signature has been around as the #1 or #2 crash for quite a while now, and there's not much more we can do.

And in any case, this bug was specifically filed for the Linux-only variant of this as it's very much possible that the Windows and Linux variant have different causes. If anything, we could track the Windows variant in bug 805406 but the Linux-specific one here isn't tracking-worthy at this point.
Flags: needinfo?(milan)
This is happening reliably for me on Android ARMv7 Nightly 32. Want a new bug, or will this suffice?
I can reproduce that too when pinch zooming on that page.
I see something like 800 reports on Fennec in the last week. tracking-fennec=?
tracking-fennec: --- → ?
tracking-fennec: ? → +
Just updating this bug report with the latest rank.

#2 in Release
#2 in Beta
#16 in Aurora
#7 in Nightly

#1 in Release
#1 in Beta
#14 in Aurora
#40 in Nightly
This bug might have been fixed by bug 1034584 (see bug 1027103).
filter on [mass-p5]
Priority: -- → P5
Resolving this bug as incomplete as it no longer seems to be an issue worth further investigation. There are no recent crashes on Linux and 92 recent crashes on Android, of which none are on recent Fennec versions. 93% are on Fennec 30 and the remaining 7% are spread across earlier versions.
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.