Closed Bug 991231 Opened 8 years ago Closed 8 years ago

Remove "m" icon from links on wiki.mozilla.org

Categories

(Websites :: wiki.mozilla.org, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: matt, Unassigned)

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

( Apologies for filing against wrong product / component -- not sure where to file wiki.mozilla.org tickets)

* A change was made recently to include a little "m" icon next to some links on the Mozilla wiki. (Screen grab here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/spa/6c38yp3crbxni5b/4muwub2l.png )

* This is distracting and bad UI. It literally makes it look like there are typos sprinkled throughout the page.

* The response from colleagues has been negative. I don't think I'm alone in saying: this is not an improvement.

* Please consider removing / rolling back to whatever it was previously?
Summary: Remove "m" icon from links on http://wiki.mozilla.org/ → Remove "m" icon from links on wiki.mozilla.org
Sadly, we don't manage wiki.mo

Moving to Server Operations for triage.
Assignee: nobody → server-ops
Component: Server Operations: Community IT → Server Operations
QA Contact: shyam
Assignee: server-ops → server-ops-webops
Component: Server Operations → WebOps: IT-Managed Tools
Product: mozilla.org → Infrastructure & Operations
QA Contact: shyam → nmaul
I made this change deliberately to discourage bad practice. It only shows up when MozillaWiki pages are linked to using external links instead of wikilinks.

If it were up to me, I'd mark this as WONTFIX, but I don't know who has jurisdiction here.

Christie, what's your opinion?
Assignee: server-ops-webops → nobody
Component: WebOps: IT-Managed Tools → wiki.mozilla.org
Product: Infrastructure & Operations → Websites
QA Contact: nmaul
(In reply to Gordon P. Hemsley [:GPHemsley] from comment #2)
> I made this change deliberately to discourage bad practice. It only shows up
> when MozillaWiki pages are linked to using external links instead of
> wikilinks.

I can understand the usecase for having an icon for all external links. However, we're currently only showing the icon on links to the wiki that use the external link format (single square bracket and full url). Can you provide more background on why this is a bad practice?

Could we find a more obvious icon for 'external' and use it for *all* external links?
Flags: needinfo?(gphemsley)
(In reply to Christie Koehler [:ckoehler] from comment #4)
> (In reply to Gordon P. Hemsley [:GPHemsley] from comment #2)
> > I made this change deliberately to discourage bad practice. It only shows up
> > when MozillaWiki pages are linked to using external links instead of
> > wikilinks.
> 
> I can understand the usecase for having an icon for all external links.
> However, we're currently only showing the icon on links to the wiki that use
> the external link format (single square bracket and full url). Can you
> provide more background on why this is a bad practice?

External links, in general, already get an icon based on their protocol. This change replaces the icon from the general case with an icon for the specific case where MozillaWiki links are created using external link syntax instead of internal link syntax in the wikimarkup.

For example, writing [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Main_Page Main Page] instead of [[Main Page]].

This is intended to be part of the greater education and training effort that we have in the works. Not using internal link syntax for wiki pages prevents us from getting accurate statistics as to which pages link where and all the other maintenance reports that MediaWiki allows us to generate, as well as making it harder to users of the wiki to determine which links will stay on the wiki and which links will leave the wiki.

> Could we find a more obvious icon for 'external' and use it for *all*
> external links?

We can certainly find a more "obvious" icon for the educational aspect (I just used the favicon for MozillaWiki), but, as I mentioned above, other external links already have their own icons.
Flags: needinfo?(gphemsley)
* Thanks Gordon and Christie.
* I always use external link syntax -- I just find it easier. I didn't realize that this caused issues for stats and maintenance.
(In reply to Gordon P. Hemsley [:GPHemsley] from comment #5)
> We can certainly find a more "obvious" icon for the educational aspect (I
> just used the favicon for MozillaWiki), but, as I mentioned above, other
> external links already have their own icons.

Do you have an example of this? I looked a handful of pages with external links and none of them have icons. See this screen cap, for example: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/7859/xe4s.png

Both "MDN" and "Read our introduction" are external links.
Oh, it looks like this is a theme difference, as well. Here's what the same page looks like in the Vector theme (the default MediaWiki theme), which is what I use.
This has become a GMO theme-specific issue, I think. Due to limited resources, we're not addressing non-critical issues on deprecated themes. Closing as WONTFIX. Please re-open with additional info if you feel this is a critical bug.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
I just wish this info was more discoverable... if we could just tell the user "you're linkin' it wrong" then users could correct this... but without any user feedback, people just stew in their own ignorance
(In reply to Edwin Wong [:edwong] from comment #10)
> I just wish this info was more discoverable... if we could just tell the
> user "you're linkin' it wrong" then users could correct this... but without
> any user feedback, people just stew in their own ignorance

That's good feedback and it's something the Wiki Working Group is actively working on.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.