If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

[10.10] Transparent empty bar at top of window when using fullscreenbutton=false on yosemite

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

Core
Widget: Cocoa
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
3 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: Thomas Stache, Unassigned)

Tracking

(Blocks: 1 bug)

35 Branch
All
Mac OS X
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(2 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
Created attachment 8508994 [details]
Screenshot of problem: transparent area (toolbar) in fullscreen mode

Since using Mac OS X Yosemite a transparent bar remains at the top of the window when using the DOM fullscreen mode, e.g. for Youtube HTML5 videos - when forcing the old non-Lion fullscreen implementation. (see NoFS on AMO)

(That area is not the OS menu bar, that would be more of an opaque gray.)

Comment 1

3 years ago
This is fixed on Nightly, and hopefully the fix will be available on beta soon (it isn't yet). See bug 1069658.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1069658
(Reporter)

Comment 2

3 years ago
Nope, not a duplicate - I still see this on today's Nightly "36.0a1 (2014-10-22)".
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: DUPLICATE → ---
(Reporter)

Comment 3

3 years ago
When right-clicking the empty/transparent area a Finder context menu appears, so Firefox is not covering the whole screen.
Summary: [10.10] Transparent bar at top of window in DOM full screen mode → [10.10] Transparent empty bar at top of window in pre-Lion full screen mode
(Reporter)

Comment 4

3 years ago
Created attachment 8509743 [details]
Screenshot with context menu

Finder context menu in pre-Lion fullscreen mode

Comment 5

3 years ago
(In reply to Thomas Stache from comment #0)
> Created attachment 8508994 [details]
> Screenshot of problem: transparent area (toolbar) in fullscreen mode
> 
> Since using Mac OS X Yosemite a transparent bar remains at the top of the
> window when using the DOM fullscreen mode, e.g. for Youtube HTML5 videos -
> when forcing the old non-Lion fullscreen implementation. (see NoFS on AMO)
> 
> (That area is not the OS menu bar, that would be more of an opaque gray.)

Is this reproducible without add-ons? If not, why is this a Firefox bug rather than an add-on bug?
Flags: needinfo?(ts.bugzilla)
(Reporter)

Comment 6

3 years ago
Well, it's... complicated. 
The addon doesn't really do anything, it just sets the fullscreenbutton attribute to false.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/files/browse/163437/file/chrome/content/nofs.xul#top

Without the addon Firefox' fullscreen mode is wasting so much space on a 11" or 13" screen, that it's not worth it. I'm just pointing out that something changed between 10.9 and 10.10, that whatever Firefox is doing when "fullscreenbutton=false" now leaves an empty area on the screen.
Flags: needinfo?(ts.bugzilla)

Comment 7

3 years ago
(In reply to Thomas Stache from comment #6)
> Well, it's... complicated. 
> The addon doesn't really do anything, it just sets the fullscreenbutton
> attribute to false.
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/files/browse/163437/file/chrome/
> content/nofs.xul#top
> 
> Without the addon Firefox' fullscreen mode is wasting so much space on a 11"
> or 13" screen, that it's not worth it. I'm just pointing out that something
> changed between 10.9 and 10.10, that whatever Firefox is doing when
> "fullscreenbutton=false" now leaves an empty area on the screen.

You didn't address the first question I actually asked, though - can you reproduce this without add-ons? It sounds like the answer is no?

Looking at the code, it's not terribly surprising - we use that attribute to determine whether we support native fullscreen (it should be off only on pre-Lion?). See uses of mUsesNativeFullScreen in the code.

I'm not sure we can even do much here short of rewriting a bunch of the code or something. Markus?

(Note: I'm not sure what you mean by "wasting so much space" because I've never used non-lion fullscreen in recent history, but I assume you mean the toolbars - we're working on letting you toggle those on OS X just like we do on Windows and Linux so you get an actual fullscreen instead of still having the top toolbars; so we might still fix this some other way than by directly fixing the issue at hand)
Blocks: 1040250
Component: General → Widget: Cocoa
Flags: needinfo?(mstange)
Product: Firefox → Core
Summary: [10.10] Transparent empty bar at top of window in pre-Lion full screen mode → [10.10] Transparent empty bar at top of window when using fullscreenbutton=false on yosemite
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #7)
> I'm not sure we can even do much here short of rewriting a bunch of the code
> or something. Markus?

I don't know. Somebody will have to debug it, I guess. Thomas, if you'd like to try your hand on it, I'll gladly assist. :-)
Flags: needinfo?(mstange)
(Reporter)

Comment 9

2 years ago
I can't reproduce this anymore on 41.0a2 and Yosemite 10.10.4.
The window now covers the whole screen as expected.
There where many changes recently in Firefox' fullscreen implementation (see bug 1176233, bug 1177185, bug 1168397), that might have fixed it, or maybe this was an OS bug.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago2 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.