I had recently created this profile, and was just going through normal testing and triage of bugs today. I had shut down and restarted several times with no problem. But after my most recent exit, I now always crash on startup (trunk mozilla build win2k, pulled about 1:30am Dec 02). I'll attach the actually history.dat (thank goodness I hadn't visited britneyspears.com today, or I'd be embarrassed to attach it). This probably needs someone who knows orkins and yarns and morks to have a look at why this is crashing.
I just had the same problem. Here's my history (zipped)
I've had as well many talkbacks for the problem. TB117736Z, TB117672W, TB117639Q, TB117618Z, TB117595Z, TB117575G Most of them where reproduced by clicking on a link or by typing a URL in the URL box. I deleted the history.dat and it now works. Hope it helps. I think there are two problems: - the history got corrupted in normal usage - the browser crashed when history is corrupted. It should not. I posted another bug for that: bug 113813
the most popular and only reproducible way of corrupting history.dat is to run two instances of mozilla/netscape at the same time.
To the best of my knowledge, I hadn't run comm. with that profile. However, that doesn't help narrowing it down anymore than what I initially said "It just 'happened'". Sorry I can't say anything more reproducible.
Orkins and morks and yarns, oh my. alec or bienvenu know them best...
Assignee: blaker → alecf
the remaining issue is that history.dat was corrupted - we no longer crash with the attached history.dat. The corruption has to do with the same string written to the db more than once, which looks like a classic case of having two clients writing to the same db. In theory, profile locking should prevent this, but I haven't really seen profile locking working.
I've been watching bug #31575 for resolution of this problem, and am wondering if I'm in the right place. I don't use a second profile, and I never run two instances of mozilla. I will occasionally use 'open in new window' on a link, but the history.dat gets corrupted several times a day even with just one window open. Often, this is associated with a crash of mozilla (which after updating to 1.4 locks the whole system now), but sometimes mozilla keeps running by just deleting the history and starting a new one.
For those still struggling with history.dat corruption, here are my results so far. Using Mozilla 1.3 on winME I lost my history 5 or 6 times a day when Mozilla crashed out. Using Mozilla 1.4 I lost my history 5 or 6 times a day when Mozilla crashed the whole system out. Using the workaround from bug#204374 about GDI resource exhaustion, (set browser.cache.memory.enable=false) I only had Mozilla 1.4 crash out the system 3 times in a whole week and only lost my history on two of those times. Now, using Mozilla 1.5a  for 4 days now and pushing it hard, with browser.cache.memory.enable set back to true where it belongs, I've had no crashes yet and no loss of history.dat. I don't particularly like beta versions, but would recommend using the beta over using the workaround if you are still losing your history.
On Win98SE I found the following method to recover history.dat after system crash (Mozilla 1.4 and before, still not tested with 1.5a): First make sure that autostart of scandisk is disabled (AutoScan=0 in MSDOS.SYS). After a system crash (mozilla running) occurs, do the following: 1. Reboot. 2. copy history.dat to some temp place (copy, not move or rename). 3. Run scandisk. Scandisk reports allocation errors(!) on history.dat (and in very rare cases on panacea.dat). Let scandisk fix the errors. 4a. Start Mozilla, open history. Result: History set to empty, because moz detects history.dat corruption. 4b. Copy saved history.dat from step 2 back to profile and then start Mozilla. Result: History is back, only some entries may be lost. An improved file flushing strategy may possibly prevent the allocation errors.
I am not sure what I describe here is the same bug or another one. This happened with Mozilla 1.5RC1 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.5) Gecko/20030916). I noticed this morning that, if I shut down Mozilla after some Web surfing and then started it, none of the links I visited were indicated as such in my bookmarks file (which I use as my home page). I checked history.dat and noticed that the date of latest modification was yesterday. My PC did crash early this morning while Mozilla was open. I was able to shut down all applications (gracefully I hope), including Mozilla, before rebooting. To correct my problem, I renamed history.dat as xhistory.dat. I then copied the file and renamed the copy as history.dat. After that, everything worked fine. I have seen this before with 1.4. This was the first time I saw it with 1.5. If this is not 113378, let me know so that I can submit a new bug report.
The last post here was five-and-a-half years ago. The issue reported was resolved at the latest in bug 374945 (implementation of Places). Resolving WFM.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.