Oops, looks like the plugin links I pasted don't actually work. These should (as in, they should take you to the plugin page, at which point clicking the 'Add to Firefox' button will reproduce the error): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wolfram-alpha-searchextension/?src=search https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wolframalpha/?src=search https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wolframalpha-s/?src=search
Created attachment 8607927 [details] works for me.png Works for me in Linux Mint KDE 17.1. Any difference in a new profile? https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles
Sorry, it does indeed work in a new profile. I wonder what could be wrong with mine..
OK, I hope it's correct to reopen this old ticket.. the same issue is now happening for me even with a brand new profile. Firefox is newer this time around, reporting Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0 I create the new profile and immediately use it to navigate to one of the above addons links, only to receive the "Sorry, you need a Mozilla-based browser (such as Firefox) to install a search plugin" error.
I can't reproduce on a release version of Firefox, nor on the beta version (41).
So, while creating a brand new profile didn't work around the issue, restarting in safe mode does, even when using my original, bloated profile. In fact, I could even add the plugins I wanted in safe mode, then restart unsafe and keep them. I then started a new profile again, and saved the output of about:plugins. It must be one of these causing the error, right? I still don't quite understand why any of them would cause the mozilla site to think I'm not running firefox, but at least I'm getting somewhere... Note that some plugins are preinstalled -- not exactly sure which by Mozilla, and which by Ubuntu -- and I added Java and Silverlight myself.
I recently had a chance to try this on a brand new, untouched installation of Ubuntu 14.04.3 x64. First thing I did was navigate directly to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wolfram-alpha-searchextension/?src=search only to receive the same error. As before, "Restart with addons disabled" allows me to finally install the search extension. At this point it seemed obvious to blame one of the Ubuntu-provided plugins, HOWEVER... I then deleting /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* and restarting firefox. After this, about:plugins shows only the default Mozilla WebRTC thing, and nothing else, but attempting to install a search extension still results in the error.
Created Ubuntu bug here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1491969
Chris, are you the right person to reach out to, or can you pass this along to the appropriate people? STR: 1. https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/wolframalpha/ 2. Click the “Add to Firefox” button. 3. Click the Cancel button in the “Sorry, you need a Mozilla-based browser (such as Firefox) to install a search plugin” alert box. 4. Add-ons Manager, Extensions category. Disable the Unity Desktop Integration extension. 5. Back in the tab with the search plugin page, click the Reload button on the navigation toolbar. 6. Click the “Add to Firefox” button again. There's now the usual prompt to confirm installing the search engine. (In reply to Nathan Dorfman from comment #9) > Created Ubuntu bug here > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1491969 Duplicate of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1252910
I'm not the right person to talk to about this bug. I reported the issue nearly 3 years ago (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-firefox-extension/+bug/1069793), but nothing happened
Jorge, do you have any Ubuntu contacts you could talk to?
Hi, this bug seems due to the extension which was helping run web applications in their own container on Ubuntu. This extension is now becoming obsolete and we will unpublish it shortly.
I ended up removing all four addons from my system (since they seem to be unmaintained and/or deprecated); here are the package names: xul-ext-ubufox - Ubuntu modifications for Firefox xul-ext-unity - Firefox extension: Unity Integration xul-ext-webaccounts - Ubuntu Online Accounts extension for firefox xul-ext-websites-integration - Firefox extension: Website Integration Thanks everyone!
(In reply to Nathan Dorfman from comment #17) > I ended up removing all four addons from my system (since they seem to be > unmaintained and/or deprecated); here are the package names: > > xul-ext-ubufox - Ubuntu modifications for Firefox > xul-ext-unity - Firefox extension: Unity Integration > xul-ext-webaccounts - Ubuntu Online Accounts extension for firefox > xul-ext-websites-integration - Firefox extension: Website Integration > > Thanks everyone! The first one definitely isn't unmaintained or deprecated
I found the solution in another bug report somewhere, which is to disable the Unity Integration plugin before adding a search engine, and then enabling it again afterwards.
I've permanently disabled these addons in Ubuntu now - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2743-3/