Last Comment Bug 1299203 - Stop using a submodule for UI
: Stop using a submodule for UI
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
:
Product: Release Engineering
Classification: Other
Component: Balrog: Backend (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: Unspecified Unspecified
-- normal (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo]
: Ben Hearsum (:bhearsum)
:
Mentors:
Depends on: 1302450
Blocks: 1299213
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-08-30 09:05 PDT by Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo]
Modified: 2016-09-13 08:07 PDT (History)
1 user (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Attachments
balrog PR (should land first): Merge balrog-ui into ui (42 bytes, text/x-github-pull-request)
2016-09-12 02:55 PDT, Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo]
bhearsum: review+
Details | Review | Splinter Review
balrog-ui PR (44 bytes, text/x-github-pull-request)
2016-09-12 03:11 PDT, Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo]
bhearsum: review+
Details | Review | Splinter Review

Description User image Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo] 2016-08-30 09:05:36 PDT
Discussed with :bhearsum over IRC. With the current docker image implementation, we can easily manually test Balrog from an end to another. Also, having the UI in its own repo makes changes that affect both front-end and back-end harder.

We can now put the UI in the main repo, without using a submodule. One way to achieve that could be to transfer the commits from one repo to another. See [1] for more details about the implementation.

Side note: Let's wait until the number of active PRs reaches 0. Otherwise, they'll have to be heavily edited before creating a new PR in the main repo.

[1] https://github.com/fxbox/foxbox/pull/406#issuecomment-212449454
Comment 1 User image Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo] 2016-08-30 09:09:17 PDT
One request from :bhearsum, on IRC:
> i'd prefer that everything prior to
> https://github.com/mozilla/balrog-ui/commit/5e70edaa020cf86d8d2962052857b3db773eeabe
> is squashed together - most of the stuff before that is early development, and
> i don't think there's any value to preserving its commit-by-commit history
Comment 2 User image Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo] 2016-09-12 02:55:59 PDT
Created attachment 8790216 [details] [review]
balrog PR (should land first): Merge balrog-ui into ui

I found the reason of the tests hanging. Lineman delegates the test execution to testem. Per [1], it must be present in node_modules/.bin. That wasn't the case in the Docker image. I added it to packages.json.

I also added "phantom-prebuilt". This packages makes sure PhantomJS is in $PATH by downloading it.

Tests are now running and passing [2].

Review suggestions:
* Look at the commit tree
* See diff for HEAD and HEAD~2 (HEAD~1 being the merge commit).

[1] https://github.com/linemanjs/lineman/blob/3f828e5b96b72c6a9d562a0dba23e8f2cd4d2cfc/lib/testem-utils.coffee#L5
[2] https://tools.taskcluster.net/task-inspector/#IC47ho9VRvKti6Crp1p59w/0
Comment 3 User image Johan Lorenzo [:jlorenzo] 2016-09-12 03:11:31 PDT
Created attachment 8790223 [details] [review]
balrog-ui PR

Review suggestions:
* every file but .gitignore .gitkeep and README.md are deleted
* .gitignore filters out everything
* .gitkeep still let README.md be in the repo
* README.md points people to the new location of the UI (which doesn't exist until the balrog PR is merged)

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.