Need to support HTTP/0.9 server responses

VERIFIED FIXED in M12

Status

()

defect
P3
blocker
VERIFIED FIXED
20 years ago
19 years ago

People

(Reporter: csbooton, Assigned: rpotts)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
All
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

()

Reporter

Description

20 years ago
Type of problem: My page on xoom doesent display at all (blank page) in
apprunner

version of apprunner: 19990090108 (September 1)

Comments: I tested my page completly in both IE 4.0 and Netscape 4.5 and it
works fine in both browsers . However becuase xoom uses an advertising method
that creates a frame with their add at 10% and your page at 90% (columns) , this
may be confusing apprunner.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
This works in the newer nightly builds.
(On Windows 9x, anyway)

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 12936 ***

Updated

20 years ago
Blocks: 16950
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Component: Browser-General → Parser
OS: other → All
Target Milestone: M12
Was looking through the bugs with my name in them, and this one isn't fixed.
Reopening, and changing component to Parser.
Resolution: DUPLICATE → ---
clear resolution of duplicate

Comment 4

20 years ago
Resetting QA contact from leger.

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: don → rickg
Status: REOPENED → NEW

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: rickg → warren

Comment 5

20 years ago
Warren -- I'm handing this off to you, because it "appears" to be a URL problem.
When you load this page, URL errors are displayed in the console. Please
reassign as needed.
*** Bug 12936 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Updated

20 years ago
Assignee: warren → rpotts

Comment 7

20 years ago
Ugh. I've tried debugging this, but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is.
It looks like the server is sending back a bad status line. Rather than a
3-digit number, it sends back 2 spaces and a LF ("  \n"). We then bail at
nsHTTPResponseListener.cpp line 410.

I've tried to reorganize the code so that it assumes that the proper status is
200, and then proceeds, but it still fails for other reasons (which I haven't
debugged yet).

Rick: Can you take a look at this and recommend whether we should be handling it
or whether the server is just broken.
Assignee

Comment 8

20 years ago
The server seems to be upset by the headers that we are sending it...
For example, using TestProtocols.exe the User-Agent that gets sent is
'Mozilla/'.

With this User-Agent string, the server sends *some* of the content.  It will
sent the user's page, but not the Xoom banner across the top...
Assignee

Comment 9

20 years ago
Ok...  warren was correct.  The header is sending back *no* headers and *no*
status line...  It just starts spewing HTML...
Assignee

Updated

20 years ago
Summary: xoom pages not displaying → Need to support HTTP/0.9 server responses
Assignee

Comment 10

20 years ago
So, after looking at the old netlib code it looks like the server is behaving as
a HTTP/0.9 server.  Currently, we assume that every server is *at least*
HTTP/1.0.

I'm changing the summary to reflect the *real* problem
Assignee

Updated

20 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Assignee

Comment 11

20 years ago
I have a fix for this in my local tree...  Waiting for a code review.
Assignee

Updated

20 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 20 years ago20 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Assignee

Comment 12

20 years ago
I've just checked in a fix for HTTP/0.9 server support :-)
Blocks: 12936

Comment 13

19 years ago
Verified
2000-07-07-10-M17 : Linux
2000-07-07-10-M17 : WinNT
2000-07-05-10-M17 : Mac
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.