Closed Bug 1474382 Opened Last year Closed Last year

Discovery Pane opens links externally when set to services.addons.thunderbird.net

Categories

(Thunderbird :: Add-Ons: General, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED
Thunderbird 63.0

People

(Reporter: sancus, Assigned: sancus)

References

Details

In Thunderbird, when the pref extensions.webservice.discoverURL is set to https://services.addons.thunderbird.net instead of addons.mozilla.org, all links to Add-ons are opened in an external browser instead of within Thunderbird.

I can't find any way to prevent this behaviour, xpinstall.whitelist.add doesn't seem to be related.
Adding :aswan, since he works on the Firefox Add-ons Manager he might know.
P.S. Installing this addon: https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/thunderbird-addons-test/ will change all the prefs accordingly and trigger the bug, to make it easy to test.
Does this only happen in the discovery pane?  i.e., do links to the same targets in other tabs install addons as you expect?
(In reply to Andrew Swan [:aswan] from comment #3)
> Does this only happen in the discovery pane?  i.e., do links to the same
> targets in other tabs install addons as you expect?

It also happens if I search for an add-on and then click on a link in the window that opens. The search itself does open within Thunderbird, though.

I believe that's the only other way to open an AMO page within Thunderbird.

There is also a warning popup on installs, and I know that's supposedly to do with the xpinstall.whitelist.add pref. I've tried changing that pref to contain "https://addons.mozilla.org, https://addons.thunderbird.net" similar to https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/source/mobile/android/app/mobile.js#184 and I've also tried just addons.thunderbird.net it, but it doesn't seem to affect any of this.
It sounds like either your web page is returning the wrong mime type or thunderbird isn't set up to handle the mime type correctly
(In reply to Andrew Swan [:aswan] from comment #5)
> It sounds like either your web page is returning the wrong mime type or
> thunderbird isn't set up to handle the mime type correctly

Our version of the discovery pane/addons site is just a copy of addons.mozilla.org -- while there are some response header differences due to different deployment methods, mime types seem the same to me:

curl -IL https://services.addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/discovery/addon/close-proxy-authentication/?src=discovery-upandcoming
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

curl -IL https://services.addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/discovery/addon/keep-in-taskbar/?src=discovery-upandcoming
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

Full output for both URLs: https://pastebin.mozilla.org/9089405
I will say that Thunderbird is not configured to handle http(s) links internally in general -- it should open them in an external browser. But there is clearly some kind of exception for addons.mozilla.org links in the Addons Manager so that they always open internally.
Oh I misunderstood, I thought "links to add-ons" meant links to the actual xpi files.  I have no idea how Thunderbird decides where to load http(s) urls, I don't think I can help here.
Yeah, those do load in Thunderbird. They just throw the yellow warning on install, which isn't a huge problem.
Depends on: 1474509
Kris(:kmag) pointed me in the right direction on IRC to solve this, it's the regexp used for openContentTab in https://searchfox.org/comm-central/source/mail/base/content/mailCore.js#484

Thanks Andrew and Kris for providing so much immediate help on this! It will be fixed when the patch for Bug 1474509 is merged.
Assignee: nobody → sancus
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: Last year
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Fixed by bug 1474509.
Target Milestone: --- → Thunderbird 63.0
Component: General → Add-Ons: General
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.