(In reply to Bogdan Maris [:bogdan_maris], Release Desktop QA from comment #17)
I tried reproducing the crash using a Yubikey 4 and Yubikey 4 neo (only smartcards I have laying around) and OpenSC on Firefox 84, but without success. Not sure If I can use other PKCS#11 modules, if it is possible can you help with some details of how to do that?
Else can you please verify if this is indeed fixed using 84.0.1 on your machine and with your setup, thanks?
I can reproduce the freeze also with 84.0.1-candidates/build1
I'm not sure it can be easily reproduced with an USB Token instead of a separate smart card + reader, since when you unplug the token you also remove the device that the OS see as a smart card reader and this may change a lot the behavior of the underlying PKCS#11 MW.
Since the freeze is caused by a race condition, it depends mainly from the response speed of the device/PKCS#11 and there are cases where this never happens, especially if the PKCS#11 responds really fast.
Using following procedure 100% reproduces the freeze for me with various PKCS#11 MW:
- configure PKCS#11 modules (remove osclient lib if present and add MW DLL)
- restart Fx
- go to https sites (twitter, fb, corriere.it, repubblica.it and some more)
- remove card and reload some site
- insert card and reload some site
- go to HTTPS client auth site: https://server.cryptomix.com/secure/
- start over from step 3 until freeze or HTTPS problems
7.1) alternatively restart Firefox and start over
Usually it requires only 1 iteration with many PKCS#11 MW and never more that 5.
Normally it freeze at step 4, about 2~4 seconds after reinsert the card.