(In reply to Alexandru Trif, QA [:atrif] from comment #9)
- Closing Firefox.exe while the
Firefox is already running message is displayed and then clicking on the
Close Firefox button afterward opens some Firefox instance that does not have updates enabled and no migration is performed. If this Firefox is pinned to the taskbar, then closed and reopened the migration is performed and the MSIX build is displayed.
A couple of things I'd like clarify:
- Updates are supposed to be disabled for the MSIX build. I don't think this affects profile migration in any way
- I also don't see how or why taskbar pinning is involved here - are you sure that's part of the STR?
In my own testing with your STR, this is what I found:
- After closing the running Firefox, then clicking "Close Firefox" on the dialog, the MSIX version was launched and did import the profile on most attempts (eg: I can see the history from the other profile). However, it did this without showing the migration wizard.
- After closing the now running MSIX version and reopening it, the migration wizard was shown, and I continue to see the history from the other profile.
My theory for the one time the profile did not import on the first attempt was that the original Firefox was still in the process of shutting down when the MSIX version started, and it was unable to import the profile because of this -- although I haven't been able to verify this theory.
The other thing I noticed here was that with your STR, the first launch of the MSIX version is in a bit of a weird state. Notably, the About dialog doesn't contain "Windows MSIX package", as it does normally (or even on subsequent launches in this scenario). I'm not certain why, but between the profile migration UI not showing, and this, it makes me wonder what else may be broken in this scenario. I'll dig into it more.