User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030210 Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030210 after removing a working 1.2.1 installation (installed in /usr/local/mozilla through the graphical installer) and installing 1.3b (in the same way, complete install), mozilla exits immediately with status = 1 if launched by a regular user; it works fine only for root. removing 1.3b and reinstalling 1.2.1 did not solve: both version now exit immediately (an empty $HOME/.mozilla dir is created. anyway having a previously working $HOME/.mozilla dir does not avoid the problem). Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. install 1.2.1 through mozilla-installer 2. delete /usr/local/mozilla 3. install 1.3b through mozilla installer: here appears the problem 4. repeat step 2 5. reinstall 1.2.1 through mozilla installer: the problem remains Actual Results: i can't use any version of mozilla: it always exits after a fraction of a second with status = 1. it only works if launched by root. it happens for any regula user defined in the system, both using the existing $HOME/.mozilla dir or after deleting it. Expected Results: it should open its gui and work as usual it did not happen on a linux box where mozilla had never been installed before
Assignee: asa → ssu
Component: Browser-General → Installer
QA Contact: asa → bugzilla
yes it sounds like an installer bug. anyway i tried to check if it could be an environemnt problem. it shouldn't be, as i compared root's environment with regular users' one and they are coherent and very similar, and all env vars concerning mozilla hold the same values. i also modified the regular user env so taht it be identical to root's one (except for readonly vars and HOME, LOGNAME, and a few more, and the problem persists. as retcode 1 should mean "operation not permitted", i chmoded mozilla-bin to 1755, but i got a "file not found" error while tring to load a shared library which *is* in the mozilla dir. maybe understanding what exactly mozilla-bin is doing when the error occurs could be useful. how can i help?
this sounds like bug 163524. do you have MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME set? does the mozilla/components directory have execute permission? that bug should not be a problem anymore (with latest-1.3, or current trunk) because bug 144311 has been fixed.
ok, the problem was in "components" subdir permissions: it was 644. i chmoded it to 755 and mozilla is working for all users now. so i think i installed moz 1.2.1 to an existing tree where subdirs' permissions were ok; but the i deleted the tree before installing moz 1.3b, so the installer bug showed up. this means that also 1.2.1 installer has the same bug. MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and MOZILLA_HOME were both correctly set to /usr/local/mozilla sorry for posting a dup; i searched bugzilla with keywords like "exits" "status = 1" etc. and found nothing. thanks all for your work - i close this bug as duplicate of 163524 *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 163524 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
v dupe. BTW: that was bug 144331, not 144311 bugs like this are hard to diagnose, so don't worry too much about the dupe.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.