Closed Bug 21135 Opened 20 years ago Closed 19 years ago
libpref really needs to be cleaned up and made ownable
Get rid of prefapi.c, flatten and simplify, cull redundancy, clean up crappy overindented control flow and capricious error checks and non-checks, reduce hidden globals such as gGlobalConfigObject and gPrefConfigObject, etc. Heck, evacuate the old modules/libpref and make prefs a new component under xpfe, if that's where it belongs. It doesn't seem top-level under mozilla/ to me, but I could be missing something. /be
yeeeha! I've actually wanted to do this for a while. First up: turning prefapi.c into prefapi.cpp so that we can use standard string allocators. (this is done in my tree already) The cleanup ought to take 2 days of work after the above change.
Sounds like great stuff, but not a beta stopper
spam: added self to cc list as this might affect my realm.
Moving all libPref component bugs to new Preferences: Backend component. libPref component will be deleted.
Component: libPref → Preferences: Backend
I have started some work on this.. I'm breaking nsIPref up into two interfaces: nsIPrefService - the master manager of all global pref stuff - loading config files, etc... contains stuff like startup(), readUserPrefsFile() etc... nsIPrefBranch - represents a branch of the prefs hiearchy, such as "browser." (and the there is a root pref branch at "") which can be cached by a particular component that's using it. Both of these will have proper interCaps APIs and CopyXXXPref will be renamed getXXXPref()... In the process, I have found a bunch (10+) methods of nsIPref that are never used and really shouldn't be exposed through an API.
not a beta stopper I've done some cleanup to the interface already. I have stuff in my tree I'm hoping to land in about two weeks. I posted details to netscape.public.mozilla.prefs
Target Milestone: M15 → M16
spam: moving qa contact on some bugs from paulmac to firstname.lastname@example.org
QA Contact: paulmac → sairuh
moving non-critical bugs to M20
Target Milestone: M16 → M20
moving a few 0.9 bugs out to 1.0 to lighten my 0.9 load.
Target Milestone: mozilla0.9 → mozilla1.0
Bulk assigning bugs covered by the rewrite of nsPrefs to myself.
Assignee: alecf → bnesse
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
Bulk updating some fields and accepting
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: mozilla1.0 → mozilla0.9
Marking this as a duplicate of Bug 46863 because all of this work is being done under that bug number. *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 46863 ***
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
alecf has requested that I not dupe all these bugs, but rather close them as fixed after the work in bug 46863 has landed. Changing again...
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: DUPLICATE → ---
Target Milestone: mozilla0.9 → mozilla0.9.1
This work was completed as part of the preferences API refactoring.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 19 years ago → 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.