User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) Build Identifier: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.3 (20031013) Could not connect to server; the connection was refused, for all mail accounts - account setting were copied directly from outlook express, which shows no errors when trying to connect. POP3 server, not tried it with IMAP. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1.Open thunderbird 2. Attempt to get mail 3. Actual Results: 'Could not connect to server; the connection was refused' error Expected Results: Connected to the server and got my mail.
Zonealarm issue! Zonealarm not announcing its presence, and not asking to let thunderbird through. Solution? Uninstall the uppity software ;)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
I'm running XP too, and uninstalling ZA dosen't work. I've disabled all firewalls, still no go. On XP, a firewall is a necessity, and if Thunderbird won't work with one, that's a bug.
BTW, I checked w/ a packet sniffer, and there aren't any packets going anywhere.
BTW again, this condition also occurs in Mozilla Mail. A prior code problem, hmm? Once again, I don't use ZoneAlarm. Used to, uninstalled in favor of Sygate. No lingering components of ZA. Sygate dosen't recognize that it's sending any communications, but I explicitly marked it allowed.
Reid, are you sure you aren't seeing the recent bug where network.online was getting set to false in some thunderbird profiles, thereby preventing outgoing network requests?
Yep. The line wasn't there. I even added it, set to true, and it still borked. I have confirmed that no connection attempt was ever made. I'm going to reset my profile and see if that works.
Just created a new profile. Nothing changed. TBird 0.2 dosen't work either. By now I have over 400 messages waiting!
sounds like you are seeing something different then. Does your network require proxy servers? If we aren't even allowed to create a network connection from the OS, then something does not sound like it is set up right in your environment.
Just tried the 20031119 nightly, still nothing. I think it's an environment problem too, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. Microsoft Outlook works fine. (Yes, I admit it, I hava a copy of Office XP!) And I can telnet to my mail server on port 110 and check my mail from there, so no port-specific blockage is occurring. I have a working install of TBird 0.3 on my desktop upstairs, but I need it to work on my laptop (this system) as well. I would rather resort to webmail that use a non-Mozilla mail client.
BTW, I run 2 proxies (bound to localhost) on my comp to help out programs that can't connect or that use weird connection schemes. I've tried both with TBird, nothing, although the system tray icons for the proxy progs flash, so I know that the connection is getting through that far at least. I run WebWasher and AnalogX Proxy. I've set up IM through both of them, so they work fine. I have done a manual DNS lookup of my POP3 server and pasted the IP into the server box in TBird, so it's not strictly a resolver error. Also, my firewall logs show no record of any connections to my mail server, blocked or allowed, from WebWasher, Proxy, or TBird. And there's no external proxy needed for my network. I apologize for writing so choppily, but I'm typing as I try stuff.)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.