Can't see / edit / add message filters for Global Inbox.

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 257979

Status

MailNews Core
Filters
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 257979
14 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: Sam Little, Assigned: (not reading, please use seth@sspitzer.org instead))

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

14 years ago
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.8a3) Gecko/20040819
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (OS/2; U; Warp 4.5; en-US; rv:1.8a3) Gecko/20040819

After a system crash that forced moving my Profile to a new hard drive, and
loading ver. 1.8a3, message filters for the Global Inbox (set up using 1.8a2)
are inaccessible from Tools -> Message Filters. They also do not run
automatically anymore. However, if I use Tools -> Run Filters on Folder, they
all do what they say to do.

Reproducible: Always
Steps to Reproduce:
1.
2.
3.



Expected Results:  
Used to be that all filters displayed under each mail account name. I suspect
what's really wanted is for "Local Folders" to be added to the drop-down and for
the global filters to be listed there.

Comment 1

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #0)
> After a system crash that forced moving my Profile to a new hard drive, and
> loading ver. 1.8a3, message filters for the Global Inbox (set up using 1.8a2)
> are inaccessible from Tools -> Message Filters. They also do not run
> automatically anymore.

Filters are still defined and executed on a per-account basis.  I do see the 
account's filter being applied to new messages arriving for that account.


> However, if I use Tools -> Run Filters on Folder, they
> all do what they say to do.

Huh.  I didn't know this was enabled for any Local Folders with a deferred 
account, but it is.  However, I'm *not* seeing the account's filter get applied 
in this case.


> Used to be that all filters displayed under each mail account name.

You mean you don't see *any* message filters available in the Tools | Message 
Filters dialog?


> I suspect
> what's really wanted is for "Local Folders" to be added to the drop-down and
> for the global filters to be listed there.

That's bug 177093.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

14 years ago
(In reply to comment #1)
 
> You mean you don't see *any* message filters available in the Tools | Message 
> Filters dialog?

Nope. If I add new filters, they get added to the mail account specified, but
this is completely different from what was happening in 1.8a2.
 
> However, I'm *not* seeing the account's filter get applied 
> in this case.

There was a separte msgFilterRules.dat file created in "Local Folders". I assume
that's what's running, though editing the dat file directly doesn't seem to have
any effect....

> That's bug 177093.

But seems to be necessary if there's a Global Mail folder. Well, between 1.3 and
1.7, I was running separate filters on each inbox, the last of which was to move
it into my own global mailbox; I guess I can go back to that. Being able to
copy/move filters across mail accounts would be helpful, though....

Comment 3

14 years ago
What if you create a new profile? does it still happen?
(Reporter)

Comment 4

14 years ago
Er... well, the computer I was running 1.8a3 on had a major, data-losing crash
yesterday and it may be a few days before I can get it going again. The profile
I was using was created using 1.8a2.

Comment 5

14 years ago
The behavior isn't going to change with a new profile; while the Deferred/Global 
feature was being developed, things changed.

Duping to the new request for enhancment filed by the implementor of the 
Deferred POP feature.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 257979 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 14 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.