User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.40607)
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050207
If you look at the page at
http://weblogs.asp.net/michkap/archive/2005/02/07/368570.aspx, it had the
string "àáâãäå" in different non-normalized forms (i.e. some characters
composed, some decomposed).
All the strings look the same in IE on Windows, but both Mozilla and Firefox
display the strings incorrectly (though differently, for some reason).
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open the url http://weblogs.asp.net/michkap/archive/2005/02/07/368570.aspx
2. Have a look under the text "static void Main()..." for the various non-
normalized form of the string "àáâãäå"
3. On Mozilla and Firefox, the string all look different, even though they're
supposed to look the same.
Different forms of the string "àáâãäå" look different.
Different forms of the string "àáâãäå" should look the same.
Created attachment 173717 [details]
This is how the text looks in Mozilla
This is how the text looks in Mozilla. Notice how all the decomposed combining
characters display separate to the base character.
Created attachment 173718 [details]
This is how the text looks in Firefox
This is how the text looks in Firefox. Notice how it seems to do a "better"
job than Mozilla - it composes some characters properly, but others are not
composed, and still others have no or the wrong accent!
Created attachment 173719 [details]
This is how the text looks in IE
Notice how all the strings look the same. This is how it *should* be.
To display the strings in my original post, you'll have to change the encoding
of this page to UTF-8 - I'm not sure why Bugzilla is returning ISO-8859-1... :-
By the way, which version of Mozilla are you using, and on what Windows version?
I don't see any difference between Mozilla trunk and Firefox 1.0, both on
I used the nightly build of Mozilla, from a couple of days ago. But just the
latest release of Firefox (i.e. not a nightly build). On Windows XP SP2.
I didn't try a nightly build of Firefox, so I don't mind if we assume that's
the "real" problem...
Created attachment 267149 [details]
testcase extracted from the URL
This bug does not appear to be Windows specific as I am seeing the same thing with decomposed (NFD) Unicode strings with the above text attachment on Mac OS 10.4.10 with Firefox 220.127.116.11.
In current trunk I no longer see the bug on either Windows or Mac, and for Linux it is covered by bug 197649, so I am marking this WORKSFORME.
*** Bug 398400 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***