Closed Bug 330198 Opened 15 years ago Closed 15 years ago

SeaMonkey regressed to bug 315001 after bug 326814 checkin

Categories

(SeaMonkey :: MailNews: Message Display, defect)

defect
Not set
minor

Tracking

(Not tracked)

VERIFIED FIXED

People

(Reporter: sgautherie, Assigned: neil)

References

Details

(Keywords: regression)

Attachments

(4 files, 1 obsolete file)

[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060310 SeaMonkey/1.5a] (nightly) (W98SE)

Works fine.

[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060311 SeaMonkey/1.5a] (nightly) (W98SE)

Bug 315001 is back.
I guess bug 326814 fix could be the cause.
This happens after MailNews has loaded,
but works fine again after a message has been displayed.
Could I have the full steps to reproduce the problem as on the nightly that I have just downloaded:
F8 is disabled when account page is showing
F8 is enabled when account page is not showing
Initialy, I noticed this with my legacy account.

Example steps from further testing which I did to answer your request:
1. Create a new profile, then a new email account
2. Unselect the 'Check for new messages at startup' preference
3. Quit and restart MailNews, so it opens on the account page rather than on the Inbox folder
4. Press F8 1+ times.

Then, I tested and confirmed that the 20060310 build doesn't have this bug with that newly created profile either.

(In case it would matter, I'm using <seamonkey-1.5a.en-US.win32.zip> "install".)
My guess when looking at bug 326814 attachment 214250 [details] [diff] [review] would be that:
*|"key_toggleMessagePane"| handling moved from Show/HideAccountCentral() to Showing/HidingThreadPane().
*|*ingThreadPane()| may not be involved in my case/steps.

Hoping to guess right...
I've attached a possible fix to bug 326814, seems to fix the issue with the steps given below. Could you test too?
(In reply to comment #5)
> I've attached a possible fix to bug 326814, seems to fix the issue with the
> steps given below. Could you test too?

[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060312 SeaMonkey/1.5a] (nightly) (W98SE)

Yes, your v0.3c patch fixes the regression.
OS: Windows 98 → All
Hardware: PC → All
Attached patch Proposed patch (obsolete) — Splinter Review
This didn't immediately work with an old profile presumably because of some stale persisted attributes. However after switching to and from account central and restarting a few times my old profile got "in sync".
Assignee: mail → neil
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #214860 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
(In reply to comment #7)
> Created an attachment (id=214860) [edit]
> Proposed patch
> 
> This didn't immediately work with an old profile presumably because of some
> stale persisted attributes. However after switching to and from account central
> and restarting a few times my old profile got "in sync".

I'm a little surprised by this comment/patch,
since I'm quite happy with my bug explanation and Ian's patch.
Notice that comment 3 says that this bug affects new profiles too.

Are we talking about the same issue !?
(In reply to comment #7)
> Created an attachment (id=214860) [edit]
> Proposed patch
> 
> This didn't immediately work with an old profile presumably because of some
> stale persisted attributes. However after switching to and from account central
> and restarting a few times my old profile got "in sync".
> 
Also happens first time new start up a new profile too with check on startup unticked. As you say takes a bit to "settle" after that. I'll do a bit more digging tomorrow.
OK, so I worked around the issue by adding
gSearchBox.collapsed = true;
GetMessagePane().collapsed = true;
to the end of CreateMailWindowGlobals()

I think I can fix it by renaming the search box and the message pane frame.
Attached patch Possible patchSplinter Review
This one's a bit hairy but it's "better" ;-)
Attached patch Fixed patchSplinter Review
The comment 10 version of the patch turns out to be a smaller patch :-)
Attachment #214860 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #215001 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #214860 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #215003 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
Comment on attachment 215003 [details] [diff] [review]
Version that won't pollute new profiles

>Index: mailWindowOverlay.xul
>===================================================================
>@@ -1917,7 +1917,7 @@
>   </toolbar>
> </toolbox>
> 
>-<toolbar id="msgLocationToolbar" collapsed="true" persist="collapsed" grippytooltiptext="&locationToolbar.tooltip;">
>+<toolbar id="msgLocationToolbar" collapsed="true" persist="collapsed" grippytooltiptext="&locationToolbar.tooltip;" tbalign="stretch">
>   <hbox align="center" context="folderPaneContext">
>     <image id="locationIcon" class="folderMenuItem"/>
>     <menulist id="locationFolders" class="folderMenuItem"

r= with the above change removed which I think you was said from another patch anyway.
Attachment #215003 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla) → review+
Attachment #215003 - Flags: superreview?(bienvenu)
Attachment #215003 - Flags: superreview?(bienvenu) → superreview+
Fix checked in.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 15 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Comment on attachment 215001 [details] [diff] [review]
Fixed patch

Cancelling old request
Attachment #215001 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060315 SeaMonkey/1.5a] (nightly) (W98SE)

>@@ -207,7 +207,8 @@ function CreateMailWindowGlobals()
>   accountCentralBox = document.getElementById("accountCentralBox");
>   gSearchBox = document.getElementById("searchBox");
>   if (gSearchBox)
>-    gSearchBox.collapsed = false;
>+    gSearchBox.collapsed = true;
>+  GetMessagePane().collapsed = true;

This fixed this bug, but caused
{{
Error: GetMessagePane is not defined
Source File: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindow.js
Line: 211
}}
when trying to open/view a message in a separated message window, by double clicking inside the thread pane.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Attached patch Regression fixSplinter Review
This fixes the regression by moving the three pane globals into Create3PaneGlobals(!) thus saving on an if (gSearchBox) test too.
Attachment #215249 - Flags: superreview?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #215249 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #215249 - Flags: superreview?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #215249 - Flags: superreview+
Attachment #215249 - Flags: review?(iann_bugzilla)
Attachment #215249 - Flags: review+
Attachment #215249 - Flags: superreview+ → superreview?(bienvenu)
Attachment #215249 - Flags: superreview?(bienvenu) → superreview+
Regression fix checked in.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 15 years ago15 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
[Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060318 SeaMonkey/1.5a] (nightly) (W98SE)

V.Fixed.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.