Closed Bug 360323 Opened 13 years ago Closed 9 years ago
Firefox development conflicting with my environment
Ever since my husband started working for Mozilla he's been committing fewer cycles on his work maintaining our local environment. Debugging steps seem to imply that he has fewer resources available, but closer inspection shows enough resources are available, they're just not being accessed properly. I think this is a threading issue. Firefox development is buffering resources it might need, but not freeing them up when other processes ask for them. Steps to reproduce: 1. File bug in component owned by developer. (reproduces best if bug is a blocker, but will also reproduce with less severe bugs.) 2. Place full garbage can beside developer from step 1. Expected results: Bug gets fixed and garbage is emptied. Actual results: Bug, its regressions, and several other related and unrelated bugs get fixed. Garbage remains untouched even after several requests. Reproducible: For me, Always, but I wouldn't be surprised if not everyone can see it. I believe this bug is what has been preventing a fix for bug 95849 as any attempt to fix it while this bug is still happening will cause a regression rendering any other patch ineffective.
Assignee: nobody → mconnor
QA Contact: general → mtschrep
ooops, sorry about the accidental "blocking firefox3" flag, trying to remove
http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&who=mconnor%25steelgryphon.com&whotype=match&sortby=Date&date=explicit&mindate=2006-10-10+00%3A00%3A00&maxdate=2006-11-10+00%3A00%3A00&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot Unable to confirm that he's fixed a bug in more than a month; this must be Governance, or some corporate component I've never seen.
So you can see my problem, the resources still aren't released for other tasks. Don't forget to count reviews and checkins in your search. Also note I didn't say "bug is fixed by developer." For the sake of simple and specific steps to reproduce I used filing a bug in step 1, but that could really be replaced with "assign task."
Component: General → English Other
Product: Firefox → Tech Evangelism
Is this wfm now? Or has it regressed even further?
There has been some improvement here or there that seem to coincide with some of Firefox 3's performance wins, but new things seem to come along and use up the freed resources. The garbage collection is still not keeping up with demand. A helper app might be necessary.
(In reply to comment #5) > There has been some improvement here or there that seem to coincide with some > of Firefox 3's performance wins, but new things seem to come along and use up > the freed resources. The garbage collection is still not keeping up with > demand. A helper app might be necessary. > Possibly that improvement was caused by some checkins on the 14th. Keep an eye on it to make sure it's not a temporary regression :-)
Checked in some changes to GC, and implementation of cat. Not sure if there's a net positive from those changes as of yet.
Changing assignee, was unable to fix, I believe the reporter is going to fix this herself.
Assignee: mconnor → majken
INCOMPLETE due to lack of activity since the end of 2009. If someone is willing to investigate the issues raised in this bug to determine whether they still exist, *and* work with the site in question to fix any existing issues, please feel free to re-open and assign to yourself. Sorry for the bugspam; filter on "NO MORE PRE-2010 TE BUGS" to remove.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
Product: Tech Evangelism → Tech Evangelism Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.