User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/220.127.116.11 Build Identifier: 18.104.22.168 (20071031) I received a message with a very long From line. Whenever this message moved into the message list view through scrolling, Mozilla hung/locked up. Removing the inbox index file, and/or rebuilding it did not fix the problem. Removing this particular From: line from the message using a text editor resolved the problem. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Receive this particular message. 2. Scroll your Inbox so it should include this message. Actual Results: 3. Observe hung mail client. Expected Results: 3. Message is displayed, with some truncation of From header I will enclose the message itself in an attachment.
Created attachment 300706 [details] email message causing hang I cut this message out of my Inbox. It was the last message in the Inbox; don't know if that matters to the reproducibility of the bug.
Whew, 182644 characters in the From: line (RfC 2822 allows for 998), almost all of them illegal, because of the missing charset declaration. Anyway, we shouldn't hang on that... Which version of which program are you using? You're talking of Mozilla, your User-Agent says Firefox, but product is set to Thunderbird...
Anyway, happens for SeaMonkey as well, and the problem is, that comi18n.cpp::utf8_nextchar is just grossly slow... <http://mxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/mailnews/mime/src/comi18n.cpp#170>
Created attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition The function utf8_nextchar calls strlen for each of the 180000 characters, which results in a 12s hang even on my machine _per_ usage of the header. On display, it's parsed several times (eg on each repaint), which makes the app very unresponsive...
I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.whatever (as pasted in the "product release" field). That old implementation of utf8_nextchar() was criminally bad! strlen() just isn't a useful function for parsing text.
Comment on attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition Well, the code looks fine, but I have to admit it looks to me as if return str + 1; would work all the time...
Comment on attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition It's worth having on branch as well, imo - after nine years. ;-)
Landed on trunk, thus closing. Waiting for branch approval, though. Jon, you might want to grab tomorrows nightly build and check with a *test* profile.
Comment on attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition Is this still wanted for 22.214.171.124? If so, please make sure this gets approval in the 1.8.1.x branch, too.
Comment on attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition approved for 126.96.36.199, a=dveditz for release-drivers
Comment on attachment 300752 [details] [diff] [review] optimized UTF-8 recognition Landed on MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH. I didn't intend to ask for 1.8.0.x, thanks for correcting me. :)
I verified this in Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52pre) Gecko/2008030903 Thunderbird/184.108.40.206pre using the trash folder from bug 424349. It hung TB 220.127.116.11 and the above 18.104.22.168pre build was able to deal with this. Marking this as verified for 22.214.171.124.