Last Comment Bug 473569 - Restrict text-position to allowed values
: Restrict text-position to allowed values
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
: access
Product: Core
Classification: Components
Component: Disability Access APIs (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: x86 All
: -- normal (vote)
: mozilla13
Assigned To: alexander :surkov
:
Mentors:
Depends on:
Blocks: textattra11y 728907
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-01-14 08:17 PST by Aaron Leventhal
Modified: 2012-03-14 06:18 PDT (History)
6 users (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---
Has Regression Range: ---
Has STR: ---


Attachments
patch (12.99 KB, patch)
2012-02-28 08:37 PST, alexander :surkov
tbsaunde+mozbugs: review+
Details | Diff | Review

Description Aaron Leventhal 2009-01-14 08:17:12 PST
IA2 text-position officially can only be baseline, super and sub. Currently Firefox will expose anything that the author specified in vertical-align, including top, text-top, middle, bottom, text-bottom, length, %
Comment 1 David Bolter [:davidb] 2009-01-14 12:20:06 PST
Will this require a conversion then?  Sounds like new territory.
Comment 2 alexander :surkov 2012-02-28 08:37:01 PST
Created attachment 601286 [details] [diff] [review]
patch
Comment 3 Trevor Saunders (:tbsaunde) 2012-03-09 20:56:10 PST
Comment on attachment 601286 [details] [diff] [review]
patch

add bug to test file
Comment 4 Trevor Saunders (:tbsaunde) 2012-03-09 20:59:49 PST
ftr we should consider if things like NS_STYLE_VERTICAL_ALIGN_TOP should be consider super or something else.
Comment 5 alexander :surkov 2012-03-11 19:59:16 PDT
(In reply to Trevor Saunders (:tbsaunde) from comment #4)
> ftr we should consider if things like NS_STYLE_VERTICAL_ALIGN_TOP should be
> consider super or something else.

the best option I could think of is to ask IA2 group for opinions.
Comment 6 Pete Brunet 2012-03-11 20:42:26 PDT
Super/base/sub conveys a certain meaning.  Are there some other meanings that are meant to be conveyed by the various other options?  If so, we can adjust the IA2 spec.
Comment 8 alexander :surkov 2012-03-12 06:56:00 PDT
(In reply to Pete Brunet from comment #6)
> Super/base/sub conveys a certain meaning.  Are there some other meanings
> that are meant to be conveyed by the various other options?  If so, we can
> adjust the IA2 spec.

CSS vertical-align can take several values (see bug description and http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_pos_vertical-align.asp). This patch maps baseline, sub and super values and numeric values to IA2. We don't map things like middle, top, etc to IA2. If AT would need other values then we should extend the list of allowed IA2 values. But then how we should map numeric values to enum list. Pete, should I send a question to IA2 list?
Comment 9 Pete Brunet 2012-03-12 07:16:25 PDT
Sub and super convey meaning.  Is any meaning conveyed by the other options?  Or are those other options only for visual effect (artistry).
Comment 10 alexander :surkov 2012-03-12 07:32:14 PDT
(In reply to Pete Brunet from comment #9)
> Sub and super convey meaning.  Is any meaning conveyed by the other options?
> Or are those other options only for visual effect (artistry).

maybe they are rather for visual effect. But who can say certainly what authors on the web do.
Comment 11 Pete Brunet 2012-03-12 07:37:40 PDT
The IA2 group likely won't be able to help answer that question.  What group can be consulted to get a feel for this?
Comment 12 alexander :surkov 2012-03-12 07:43:14 PDT
(In reply to Pete Brunet from comment #11)
> The IA2 group likely won't be able to help answer that question.  What group
> can be consulted to get a feel for this?

I'm not sure that any group can answer that but we might try to get an opinion from web accessibility people like Steve.
Comment 13 steve faulkner 2012-03-12 08:41:45 PDT
(In reply to alexander :surkov from comment #12)
> (In reply to Pete Brunet from comment #11)
> > The IA2 group likely won't be able to help answer that question.  What group
> > can be consulted to get a feel for this?
> 
> I'm not sure that any group can answer that but we might try to get an
> opinion from web accessibility people like Steve.

I would be wary of assigning meaning based on CSS values, including super and sub, the meaning is meant to be assigned using the appropraite HTML elements (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-sub-and-sup-elements.html#the-sub-and-sup-elements)
Comment 14 Matt Brubeck (:mbrubeck) 2012-03-12 13:42:17 PDT
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/f419ad71f1cd
Comment 15 alexander :surkov 2012-03-14 06:18:04 PDT
(In reply to steve faulkner from comment #13)

> I would be wary of assigning meaning based on CSS values, including super
> and sub, the meaning is meant to be assigned using the appropraite HTML
> elements
> (http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/the-sub-and-sup-elements.html#the-sub-and-sup-
> elements)

Ok, let's see if CSS styles causes problems on the web. I filed bug 735645 for sup and sub elements.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.