Open Bug 528885 Opened 10 years ago Updated 8 years ago

Importing Address Book - Testcase failed (list problem, missing contacts)

Categories

(Thunderbird :: Address Book, defect)

x86
Windows XP
defect
Not set

Tracking

(blocking-thunderbird3.1 -)

UNCONFIRMED
Tracking Status
blocking-thunderbird3.1 --- -

People

(Reporter: thunderbird, Unassigned)

References

Details

User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 GTB5
Build Identifier: Thunderbird 3.0 RC1 build1

Thunderbird 3.0 RC1 build1 - litmus test
(TB3 de, on WinXP SP3, MS Outlook 2000)

Import process runs through without error messages.

The address book however is screwed up. Additional entries, entries lost.


Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
as by litmus test - import - address book
1. 
2.
3.
Actual Results:  
When checking imported contacts the following has been determined:

1.) Contacts are extracted from contact lists / mail lists and inserted to the contacts under a new name. Name is part of eMail address in front of "@".

2.) A new additional contact (according to 1.) has been generate for each entry in a contact list / mail list.

3.) Some contact lists / mail lists are screwed up
Some, when selected in the left sidebar, show their content (contacts), some don't.

4.) Some contacts of the above mentioned additional entries still exists in the original form (with all information), some are lost.

I don't know if some other addresses (not appearing on one of the contact lists / mail lists) are lost as well.
Since I have over 2'000 contacts.

After import, the contact count did rise by 123 (from 2044 to 2167 entries), despite losing some contacts.



Expected Results:  
Address book entries should be correctly imported from the directory you have specified into Thunderbird.
Blocks: qa-tb3.0rc1
Version: unspecified → 3.0
Suggestion:

- Either: Make Import of Mailing Lists work properly

- Else: If not possible or desired: Make sure Mailing lists are not imported at all. No scrap, not AB filled with plenty of duplicated, unwanted 'contacts'.

Thanks
Flags: blocking-thunderbird3.1?
Bugs that are UNCONFIRMED can't block, this needs QA triage first.  Even more importantly, this bug appears to reference a litmus test, but it doesn't mention which one.  Adding that information would be a good next step for this bug.
blocking-thunderbird3.1: --- → -
Flags: blocking-thunderbird3.1?
iirc, import of lists never worked well but I'm only finding one older bug at the moment - bug 133459 - LDIF import does not handle lists of lists. I know also, there have in the past been problems importing contacts of various languages.

Rolf, this may be asking a lot - but can you reproduce this on v2? This could be a regression. 

http://bit.ly/duIRuX lists possible bugs to match to
Hi Wayne
By doing some testing, I found out something interesting:

When using Import > Address Book > ! and then select Outlook Express, rather than Outlook (despite having OE disabled)

Then import works fine for ALL contacts and ALL lists!

No duplicates, no strange doubles. Just importing perfectly.

However, remember: I am still using MS Office (Outlook) 2000.
(In reply to comment #4)
>
> Then import works fine for ALL contacts and ALL lists!
> 
> No duplicates, no strange doubles. Just importing perfectly.
> 
"Perfectly"... except the missing fields (like more eMails, phone numbers, addresses and of course the category field).
nikolay, what do you make of ...

(In reply to comment #4)
> Hi Wayne
> By doing some testing, I found out something interesting:
> 
> When using Import > Address Book > ! and then select Outlook Express, rather
> than Outlook (despite having OE disabled)
> 
> Then import works fine for ALL contacts and ALL lists!
xref Bug 118603 - Mail list are not imported in csv format (or tab,txt)

also, I'm pretty sure I commented a few hours ago in a getsatisfaction topic about a related bug
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.