As a security precaution, we have turned on the setting "Require API key authentication for API requests" for everyone. If this has broken something, please contact
Last Comment Bug 5438 - [PP]Mac HTML buttons don't display Unicode correctly
: [PP]Mac HTML buttons don't display Unicode correctly
DEPEND - Intl - I18n QA BLOCKER - ok ...
Product: SeaMonkey
Classification: Client Software
Component: UI Design (show other bugs)
: Trunk
: PowerPC Mac System 8.5
: P3 blocker (vote)
: M7
Assigned To: tague
: Fergus Sullivan
: 6599 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: 7228
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 1999-04-23 15:01 PDT by Fergus Sullivan
Modified: 2004-11-23 18:54 PST (History)
6 users (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Description User image Fergus Sullivan 1999-04-23 15:01:33 PDT
Take navigator.xul and change a couple of strings to Japanese or to European
extended characters (using Unicode).  Go to a page that has HTML buttons, like
Netcenter's Japanese home page.  On Win, all on-screen widgets look good,
on Mac the text labels of the HTML buttons are corrupted.

It looks like MacFE still expects either Shift-JIS or MacRoman, as appropriate.
It should be looking for and displaying Unicode characters.
Comment 1 User image msanz 1999-04-23 15:30:59 PDT
see comments for 5402
Comment 2 User image Peter Trudelle 1999-04-23 15:53:59 PDT
reassigning to evaughan as p3 for m5. Eric, this is blocking an I18N M5 task.
Please enlist any Mac debugging assistance you need.
Comment 3 User image Eric Vaughan 1999-04-26 17:18:59 PDT
This looks like a dup of the bug I just sent you. Draw string does not look like
its doing the right thing underneath.
Comment 4 User image karnaze (gone) 1999-04-27 14:01:59 PDT
Moving to M6.
Comment 5 User image leger 1999-04-28 16:26:59 PDT
Adding to QA Blocker radar.
Comment 6 User image Kevin McCluskey (gone) 1999-05-04 13:39:59 PDT
Pierre, I think this is in the Mac platform specific code so I am reassigning it
to you.
Comment 7 User image Pierre Saslawsky 1999-05-05 12:47:59 PDT
Fergus: could you give more details in order to reproduce the bug? Like what
strings to modify in navigator.xul, what strings to use instead, what URL to
connect to....
Comment 8 User image shani 1999-05-05 13:44:59 PDT
Read the history on bugs 5402 and 5439. Similar problem in different mac
widgets. May want to contact Chris Saari and/or Tague Griffith as they're
working on 5402.  Test file at
Comment 9 User image Pierre Saslawsky 1999-05-18 00:15:59 PDT
Fergus: how did you manage to display HTML buttons in AppRunner? I can only
display native controls.

Anyhow this won't be fixed for M6: pushing to M7.
Comment 10 User image Pierre Saslawsky 1999-05-18 17:35:59 PDT
*** Bug 6599 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 11 User image Fergus Sullivan 1999-05-24 23:38:59 PDT
Pierre, this can be repro'd by just going to
The buttons I'm talking about are the default Excite search button etc.
Comment 12 User image Pierre Saslawsky 1999-06-06 11:23:59 PDT
Puhing my Mac-specific bugs to M9 before reassigning them to someone else.
Comment 13 User image bobj 1999-06-15 00:42:59 PDT
Related to bug #4681?
Comment 14 User image tague 1999-06-15 11:33:59 PDT
I can't guarantee this, but if the button code is similar to the menu code,
the problem is most likely that the button label string is getting extracted as
a C-string and not a Unicode string.
Comment 15 User image tague 1999-06-15 12:26:59 PDT
The problem is in nsMacControl::StringToStr255.  It takes the nsString label of
the button and does a ToCString on the label to create a Pascal string (Str255)
to set as the Mac control label.
Comment 16 User image tague 1999-06-15 21:56:59 PDT
checked in a general fix for macintosh controls.  should be in m7
Comment 17 User image Fergus Sullivan 1999-06-21 14:21:59 PDT
Verifyied against June 18 build.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.