Last Comment Bug 562052 - The version number should be shown in the list view for all types of add-ons
: The version number should be shown in the list view for all types of add-ons
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
[rewrite]
:
Product: Toolkit
Classification: Components
Component: Add-ons Manager (show other bugs)
: Trunk
: All All
: -- normal with 5 votes (vote)
: mozilla2.0b1
Assigned To: Dave Townsend [:mossop]
:
: Andy McKay [:andym]
Mentors:
: 562889 571996 572121 (view as bug list)
Depends on: 1175324
Blocks: 550048
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2010-04-27 09:34 PDT by Henrik Skupin (:whimboo)
Modified: 2015-11-20 11:44 PST (History)
29 users (show)
dtownsend: in‑testsuite+
dtownsend: in‑litmus-
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---
Has Regression Range: ---
Has STR: ---
final+


Attachments
patch rev 1 (4.09 KB, patch)
2010-06-28 10:59 PDT, Dave Townsend [:mossop]
blair: review+
Details | Diff | Splinter Review

Description Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) 2010-04-27 09:34:10 PDT
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre) Gecko/20100426 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

While going through some test scenarios for extensions and themes (installing, updating, and others) I feel a bit less informed about which version of the add-on is installed. We only show the version number inside the details pane but not in the list pane for extensions and themes. That always forces the user to open the details pane to check for the extension/theme version.

I think the version number is important enough that we should also show it in the list view. CC'ing Jennifer to that bug so we can get feedback from UX.
Comment 1 Blair McBride [:Unfocused] (UNAVAILABLE) 2010-04-27 16:21:07 PDT
Agreed - I've been meaning to bring this up for awhile. And actually using it, it drives me nuts not knowing what version of an addon I have installed.
Comment 2 Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) 2010-04-30 05:27:46 PDT
*** Bug 562889 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Alice0775 White 2010-04-30 09:40:08 PDT
Plug-ins version should be also shown.
Comment 4 Jennifer Morrow [:Boriss] (UX) 2010-05-14 12:40:30 PDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> Agreed - I've been meaning to bring this up for awhile. And actually using it,
> it drives me nuts not knowing what version of an addon I have installed.

(In reply to comment #3)
> Plug-ins version should be also shown.

Yes - we should be showing both after the add-on/plugin title.
Comment 5 Blair McBride [:Unfocused] (UNAVAILABLE) 2010-05-24 23:39:10 PDT
(In reply to comment #4)
> Yes - we should be showing both after the add-on/plugin title.

I assume it'd show as a slightly smaller font-size.
Comment 6 Dave Townsend [:mossop] 2010-06-14 15:26:48 PDT
*** Bug 571996 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 7 Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) 2010-06-15 08:21:33 PDT
*** Bug 572121 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Dave Townsend [:mossop] 2010-06-28 10:59:09 PDT
Created attachment 454556 [details] [diff] [review]
patch rev 1

Straightforward fix, would be nice to slip this into b1 I think
Comment 9 Dave Townsend [:mossop] 2010-06-28 13:50:46 PDT
Fixed: http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/80fa5e48c295
Comment 10 Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) 2010-06-29 10:01:32 PDT
Verified fixed with Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:2.0b2pre) Gecko/20100629 Minefield/4.0b2pre
Comment 11 Dave Townsend [:mossop] 2011-03-30 10:08:51 PDT
browser_list.js has tests for this
Comment 12 Tony Mechelynck [:tonymec] 2015-09-26 22:11:09 PDT
(In reply to Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) from comment #0)
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre)
> Gecko/20100426 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
> 
> While going through some test scenarios for extensions and themes
> (installing, updating, and others) I feel a bit less informed about which
> version of the add-on is installed. We only show the version number inside
> the details pane but not in the list pane for extensions and themes. That
> always forces the user to open the details pane to check for the
> extension/theme version.
> 
> I think the version number is important enough that we should also show it
> in the list view. […]

So do I, but Mossop disagrees, see bug 1175324 comment #2 (setting WONTFIX). Happily there exists an extension to add back all version numbers to the list view: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/amversionnumber/
Comment 13 Worcester12345 2015-11-20 09:41:11 PST
(In reply to Henrik Skupin (:whimboo) from comment #0)
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a5pre)
> Gecko/20100426 Minefield/3.7a5pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
> ...I feel a bit less informed about which
> version of the add-on is installed. We only show the version number inside
> the details pane but not in the list pane for extensions and themes. That
> always forces the user to open the details pane to check for the
> extension/theme version.
> 
> I think the version number is important enough that we should also show it
> in the list view. CC'ing Jennifer to that bug so we can get feedback from UX.

I am seeing this in this version:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 ID:20151029151421 CSet: e2f9a0ed50bc
Comment 14 Tony Mechelynck [:tonymec] 2015-11-20 11:44:38 PST
(In reply to Worcester12345 from comment #13)
[...]
> I am seeing this in this version:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
> ID:20151029151421 CSet: e2f9a0ed50bc

Yeah, it was added in this bug to Fx 4.0b2pre and later removed again; and AFAIK it is not coming back but there is an extension for it, see comment #12.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.