If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

[ReleaseChannels] Add Rapid-Release channels to product-details library

RESOLVED FIXED in 2.5

Status

www.mozilla.org
General
P1
major
RESOLVED FIXED
7 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: sgarrity, Assigned: rik)

Tracking

Firefox 5
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
The tracking for the new Firefox 5/next rapid-release channels is Bug 646236.

The product details library can produce a final-release or beta button right now, but it will also need to be able to produce download buttons for the "Aurora" build channel too.

Assigning to morgamic in hopes that he can reassign to the appropriate person.
Hey Mike--

This is going to go live Tuesday of next week, so just want to make sure this is something we can get resolved by then.
Severity: normal → major
James or Fred - need help with this.  Looks like we add another array value in every product array to cover the new channels.  Could just add an "aurora" element.

If you can think of a better way to restructure this, we can talk about it.
Assignee: morgamic → jlong
Adding Christian, Rob and Sheila--

Christian had said he had a solution, so giving him the floor here.
It's a little bigger scope than this bug, but Laura (Thomson) and I are also interested in making a product-details API that can be fed by buildbot and can in turn be queried for Mozilla-relevant build info, rather than updating PHP files by hand.

CCed.

Legneato: Let us know if/when you want to chat about this.

For this bug, please share what you want to do, and we can make it happen and let it show up in the JSON files as well.

Updated

7 years ago
Blocks: 647627
+1 for comment 4. But if this needs to be done by next Tuesday, we need an intermediate solution.

What is the end goal we need here? Does it really need to be in product-details? Or do we just need one download button on the new page that lists the different channels?
(In reply to comment #5)
> +1 for comment 4. But if this needs to be done by next Tuesday, we need an
> intermediate solution.
> 
> What is the end goal we need here? Does it really need to be in
> product-details? Or do we just need one download button on the new page that
> lists the different channels?
Our main question her is that we'll have 3 download buttons on this one page--one for aurora, one for beta and the one for final which is fx 4. 

My understanding is that the download details for each build will change every 6 weeks. For now, we need a solution for tuesday for Aurora, and we use what we have for fx 4. I just want to make sure we think this through for the long term.
Blocks: 646870
(In reply to comment #6)
> My understanding is that the download details for each build will change every
> 6 weeks. For now, we need a solution for tuesday for Aurora, and we use what we
> have for fx 4. I just want to make sure we think this through for the long
> term.

Ok, sounds good. Let's definitely work towards a separate service. fwiw, we are planning to remove filesizes from the download buttons (bug 645457) which should simplify things. For Tuesday, it'd be nice to avoid filesizes and then it would be easy to hack an Aurora download button.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #7)
> fwiw, we are planning to remove filesizes from the download buttons
> (bug 645457) which should simplify things. For Tuesday, it'd be nice
> to avoid filesizes and then it would be easy to hack an Aurora
> download button.

We're actually not showing file sizes on mozilla.com download buttons unless you have Javascript turned off. It's weird, but this was because it was quick/easy to remove the file size in the mozilla.com code, but the NOSCRIPT block comes from product-details, to which I don't have commit access.
(In reply to comment #8)
> We're actually not showing file sizes on mozilla.com download buttons unless
> you have Javascript turned off. It's weird, but this was because it was
> quick/easy to remove the file size in the mozilla.com code, but the NOSCRIPT
> block comes from product-details, to which I don't have commit access.

Oh cool! That should simplify things a bit. I'll poke around the code and figure out how to add Aurora for now, and that will get me familiar with everything and I can help abstract it away as a service soon.

Comment 10

7 years ago
Ok, my "solution" was that we could hardcode it on the channel page for now...it's not like this button is going to be reused a bunch of places.
(Reporter)

Comment 11

7 years ago
(In reply to comment #10)
> Ok, my "solution" was that we could hardcode it on the channel page for
> now...it's not like this button is going to be reused a bunch of places.

Yeah, we can hard-code for now. We will have to do OS detection though.

What about the Beta download button on /firefox/all-beta.html - can we re-use that?
Adding release engineering to help us figure this out.
Builds are going to live here, if that helps: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora
Does that mean that the links are not going through bouncer? No alias for the builds?

Currently a typical link generated by product-details is like that:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-4.0&os=linux&lang=fy-NL

We would need some way to build links that are always valid, would it be possible to have something like:

http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-aurora&os=linux&lang=fy-NL

That would help a lot, especially if we need working links in a few days from now.
(In reply to comment #14)
> Does that mean that the links are not going through bouncer? No alias for the
> builds?
> 
> Currently a typical link generated by product-details is like that:
> 
> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-4.0&os=linux&lang=fy-NL
> 
> We would need some way to build links that are always valid, would it be
> possible to have something like:
> 
> http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-aurora&os=linux&lang=fy-NL
> 
> That would help a lot, especially if we need working links in a few days from
> now.

Aurora builds will not be going through bouncer.
so what will be the url scheme for aurora builds?
(In reply to comment #16)
> so what will be the url scheme for aurora builds?

E.g.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora/firefox-5.0a2.en-US.win32.installer.exe

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora/firefox-5.0a2.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora/firefox-5.0a2.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora/firefox-5.0a2.en-US.mac.dmg
These urls should help us updating the library, thanks. We will keep this bug open until we have the library properly updated for the new channels.

Updated

7 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
(Reporter)

Comment 19

7 years ago
We can use the same JS we use for the normal download buttons to detect windows/mac/linux. What about i686 vs. x86_64 for Linux? I presume we just default to i686 and include a link for "Other platforms" to the dir on ftp.mozilla.org?
r87129 has the required changes to p-d
Status: ASSIGNED → NEW
r87130 has the changes needed for locales
r87131 has changes in download.old.js needed for the box on the en-US page

Anthony will work on updating the functions in this file for aurora
(Assignee)

Comment 23

7 years ago
r87148 in product-details and r87149 in moz.com.

The download button is there but it's only serving en-US. I'll work on giving the right locale now.
(Assignee)

Comment 24

7 years ago
Sorry, it's not r87149 but r87150.
Rik's been doing great work on this, so assigning to him.
Assignee: jlong → anthony

Updated

7 years ago
Priority: -- → P1
(Assignee)

Comment 26

7 years ago
Committed r87201.

This should give the right download for every locale.

Download buttons are missing without JS but I'll take care of that later.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
There are a few more places where the product-details library needs to be updated:

- history/firefoxHistory.class.php
Will you add an array for aurora versions here? Not sure if you can add the first version with a release date yet, but if so, please go ahead.

- export_json.php
Will you add some code so that the all of the new version data is exported into JSON as well?

You can give me a patch to review if you want.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
pushed to stage r87249

I don't like that we have to push the channel page live tomorrow because we haven't had QA test a lot of the work. I have to push it tomorrow at 9AM but please test all the download buttons and the channel page if you can (also requesting QA).

https://www.stage.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/channel/
The download buttons are not visible if JavaScript is disabled.

Comment 30

7 years ago
Can't we push the channel pages live now behind a .htaccess file or something? We can also wait until it is ready...I see no rush (the builds will be there on FTP starting in an hour or so)

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 2.0 → 2.1

Updated

7 years ago
Blocks: 650152
Also, I saw http://oduinn.com/blog/2011/04/18/aurora-now-with-localization/
Can someone explain when we can add that to the /channel/ page?
I started working on localized versions of the page, I'll sync with Anthony to make sure product-details handles the location of the l10n builds since in the end they are not at the same location as en-US builds
(Assignee)

Comment 33

7 years ago
BTW, it would be great to have the localized versions at the same location.

Chris Atlee, is it possible?
l10n versions are available at http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-aurora-l10n/. It's not very easy to change those to be in the same place as the en-US bits.

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 2.1 → 2.2

Updated

7 years ago
Summary: Add Rapid-Release channels to product-details library → [ReleaseChannels] Add Rapid-Release channels to product-details library

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 2.2 → 2.3

Updated

7 years ago
Target Milestone: 2.3 → 2.4

Updated

6 years ago
Target Milestone: 2.4 → 2.5

Comment 35

6 years ago
Hey Grace - is a update or deployment of this needed to support the release channel launch phase 2 tomorrow?
(In reply to comment #27)
> There are a few more places where the product-details library needs to be
> updated:
> 
> - history/firefoxHistory.class.php
> Will you add an array for aurora versions here? Not sure if you can add the
> first version with a release date yet, but if so, please go ahead.
> 
> - export_json.php
> Will you add some code so that the all of the new version data is exported
> into JSON as well?
> 
> You can give me a patch to review if you want.

Rik, I've checked through this bug and it looks like it's all been rolled out. The only remaining thing for the bug is wenzel's above comment. Can you look into it?
Component: www.mozilla.org/firefox → www.mozilla.org
Product: Websites → Websites
I think it's safe to close this. Reopen if needed.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Component: www.mozilla.org → General
Product: Websites → www.mozilla.org
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.