** Observed wirh 5/13/99 Linux 5.0 build **
I ran the above Linux build under all the Japanese locales
I could find under RH 5.2 installation with the navigator.xul
file's menu and menu items translated into Japanese and
then converted to UTF-8. I tried the following locales.
ja_JP.UJIS (actually not listed as one of the locales on my machine, mugen)
What I saw instead of Japanese were Latin characters.
I guess we are not using the correct fonts for the locales
above. We should at least get Japanese display working
under a Japanese locale.
One other thing I would try next would be other possible
locale names. (I don't think I have exhausted the names yet.)
Also what I cannot rule out yet is that my CDE environment may
need an Japanization patch.
Thus I'm not sure if this is our bug or the lack of proper
Japanese environment setup. In any case, I'm filing this bug
to keep track of this problem.
one solutions -use GFX base menu and menu bar to draw the text of the widget
Hand this to trudelle unless he need our group to help. This is a native widget
issue. It happend to Mac window and GTK.
I also test under:
LANG = ja_JP.ujis
and it does not work. This is teh locale under which the display should be working when fixed.
reassigning to saari
GTK is hosed for internationalization until version 1.4 or so, and the Mac has
been tackled by Tague, so it should work now. In any case, I'm pushing this to
Actually, I fixed this bug. It is a dup of
So, should this be made a DUP. Or are we leaving this open for the multilingual
This bug started out as a pure Japanese locale menu bug, so let's keep it that
way. If we want a bug report for the multilingual menus, let's create another
one and keep it pure too. Marking this one a DUP.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 7822 ***
Verified as dup.