[ This bug is one of the recommendations in the W3C's "Common User Agent Problems" document, URL above. One bug has been filed on each recommendation, for deciding whether we do it and, if not, whether we should. ] 1.9 When a Web resource includes metadata that may be recognized by the user agent, allow the user to view that metadata. Metadata – data about data – can provide very useful context to users about information on the Web. For instance, metadata about a book might include the book's author, title, publication date, publisher, etc. (refer to the Dublin Core [DC] for information about library-type metadata). Authors include metadata in HTML documents through a variety of elements and attributes (e.g., the TITLE and ADDRESS elements, the "alt", "title", and "summary" attributes, etc. Languages such as the Resource Description Framework [RDF] allow users to populate the Web with rich metadata. User agents should provide a user interface to allow users to view metadata. The user interface may vary according to the underlying markup language. For instance, many graphical browsers render the HTML "title" attribute (e.g., as a tool-tip) when the user selects or hovers over an element with that attribute specified.
Does bug 2800 cover the entirety of this, or just a part? Gerv
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
The bug, which is about compliance with the guidelines, is blocked by bug 1995 and 52730. Marking as such, and reopening. We should only close this bug when we comply :-) Gerv
No, this bug is not about compliance with the guidelines; bug 68427 is about compliance with the guidelines. Bug 1995 covers 99 percent of guideline 1.9; bug 52730 covers the other 1 percent, stuff which isn't even mentioned explicitly in that guideline. That's why I resolved this bug as a duplicate of 1995. So if you're going to be like that, you can get out of my component. :-P -->Tracking
Component: User Interface: Design Feedback → Tracking
Hardware: PC → All
Isn't a lot of metadata intended for indexers and not for users? Maybe I'm interpreting that word incorrectly. Cc hixie.
Status: REOPENED → NEW
QA Contact: mpt → gervase.markham
Not sure who should own this bug, sending to QA contact for assistance.
Assignee: hangas → gervase.markham
Rereading this recommendation, it seems very vague. We already have a pretty good metadata story, what with the TITLE stuff and the LINK toolbar. And I think someone is probably on the case with the rest. Pushing to 1.1; re-evaluate post 1.0 when we can see exactly what is left to do on the metadata thing. Gerv
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla1.1
This has been fixed with the "properties" window from bug 1995. Feel free to mark as fixed
This bug stays open until we do something sensible with Dublin Core metadata :-) Gerv
Adding meta keyword.Sorry for the spam!
Not mine. Gerv
Assignee: gerv → nobody
We now display all metadata in the Page Info window; I think we can close this one. Gerv
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 18 years ago → 16 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
I agree with Gerv.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Product: Core → Core Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.