User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0 Build ID: 20110922153450 Steps to reproduce: Visit a site on your local network, such as http://teamspace/xyz. Type www.google.com into the location bar and hit enter. Click on the location bar and start typing "teamspace". When the teamspace/xyz is found, click it or press the down arrow to select it and hit enter. Actual results: Took me to a google search for teamspace/xyz Expected results: Should have taken me to http://teamspace/xyz
For anyone else experiencing this problem, you can disable hiding the http:// prefix by going to "about:config" and setting "browser.urlbar.trimURL" to false.
Hm, when I put foo/bar in the location bar and hit enter, the status panel says "Looking up foo...". Only when that fails I get the google search.
I just started up a local web server, entered localhost/test, correctly got a response from the local server, closed the tab, entered "loc" and selected localhost/test from the autocomplete popup and got the page from the server again, no google search.
I wonder if this may just be a local proxy issue, you may try setting up a PAC (proxy auto config) file to resolve that intranet address to the proper ip.
unable to reproduce this bug : 1) Opened local website on a website on a local server http://localhost/ 2) Opened www.google.com in location bar 3) After that type http://local selected the local website again and pressed enter Observed result: 1) It is not taking me to google search. OS Version : Windows 7 32 bit Browser version : Aurora 15.0a2 (2012-07-11)
Can't reproduce this report: OS Version : Linux x86-64 Browser version : Aurora 15.0a2 and Firefox 14.0b12 build1 Any unexpected result.
I was about to file a bug for this and can replicate reliably if the path contains spaces. Paste the following URL into the address bar: http://localhost/path%20containing%20spaces/to/some/file.html Wait for it to time out or whatever. Select the URL bar. Press enter. The pruning of http:// from the URL and the lack of a TLD is causing the URL bar to interpret the URL it just visited as a search! Interestingly, if I copy the URL to clipboard and paste into Notepad, it recovers the http:// and %20's all the spaces so there's clearly some logic in place already that can tell this is a URL, not a search. I often select the URL bar and press enter instead of using the refresh button because it removes the POST, and I often develop on localhost and LAN URLs which are similarly affected if they lack a TLD. The about:config is a good workaround since trimming the http:// is pointless anyway.