Closed Bug 691483 Opened 8 years ago Closed 8 years ago

Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1 advertised major update on Dec 1st

Categories

(Release Engineering :: General, defect, P2)

defect

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: bhearsum, Assigned: nthomas)

References

Details

Attachments

(3 files)

No description provided.
Details URL should be set to
  https://www.mozilla.org/%LOCALE%/firefox/latest/details/from-3.6.html
but none of that is live yet, and there are 28 locales which haven't translated. Milos is going to be pushing on that.
Depends on: 668108
Assignee: nobody → nrthomas
Priority: -- → P2
The plan is to get the snippets up for testing early this week. On Thursday, we'll need to push to release & beta channels, and unthrottle in the AUS config to advertise.
Summary: do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on thursday, october 6 → Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on Thursday, October 6
Attachment #564332 - Flags: review?(bhearsum) → review+
Comment on attachment 564332 [details] [diff] [review]
[buildbot-configs] Updated 1.9.2 release config

http://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/rev/a9dce72e328e
Attachment #564332 - Flags: checked-in+
Snippets are up on betatest/releasetest (the latter is better IMO), the billboards aren't published yet. 

Our update verify checks were all green. Spot checks found only the expected empty directories left over from 3.6.
Currently on hold, due to bug 685727 and sync server issues.
Summary: Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on Thursday, October 6 → Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on ???
Summary: Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on ??? → Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on which date?
Updating summary to reflect Clegnitto's recent changes to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.6_MU and https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases#Other_releases
Summary: Do 3.6.23 -> 7.0.1 advertised major update on which date? → Do 3.6.23 -> 8.0 advertised major update on 2011-11-17
Summary: Do 3.6.23 -> 8.0 advertised major update on 2011-11-17 → Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0 advertised major update on 2011-11-17
Thanks Ed. http://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/rev/7562a744916b already set up the release config, so we're just waiting for 8.0 to be built at this point.
per today's rapid-release meeting, this will be rescheduled to 1-2 weeks after 8.0.1 has shipped. Legneato will give new date once he has it.
Summary: Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0 advertised major update on 2011-11-17 → Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0 advertised major update
We need to make sure this isn't enabled for:

1. Mac PPC machines
2. Mac 10.4 machines (intel and PPC)
3. The Linux versions  in bug 655917

I don't believe we dropped any platforms on Windows but feel free to correct me if I am wrong (the system requirements pages looks to be the same)

FYI, we would like to do this on Thursday, 2011-12-1 if that works for you
I got a comment that people on 3.6 right now get 8.0 (as opposed to 8.0.1) offered as a manual MU, will we make sure to update this to 8.0.1 before Thursday?
I believe Nick helped out with setting up all the 8.0.1 updates. I signed off on [1], but I missed the fact that 3.6 wasn't listed. Let's make sure that they get updated to 8.0.1 for the MU.

[1] http://update-watch.localgho.st/release/
This fixes up the current 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1 path that KaiRo mentioned in comment #11.
Attachment #577331 - Flags: review?(lsblakk)
Attachment #577331 - Flags: review?(lsblakk) → review+
Comment on attachment 577331 [details] [diff] [review]
[buildbot-configs] 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1

Landed on default:
 http://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/rev/aaf85f4a7762
Attachment #577331 - Flags: checked-in+
Bug 705974 covers a couple of files which are deprecated but not getting removed on upgrade. I can't get spatial navigation to do work on 3.6.24/Snow Leopard, so I strongly suspect that leaving the file there doesn't block enabling the MU on the 1st.
Summary: Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0 advertised major update → Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1 advertised major update on Dec 1st
Just to be doubly sure, my original understanding is that we would be using the billboard from this bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668108, but it looks like its too big for the 3.6 Window. 

My guess that we aren't using that one is because 3.6 users have a small billboard window, but want to be doubly sure we're sending out the right one.
Never mind--sorry for my own confusion--we're using the right billboard.  (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/latest/details/from-3.6.html)
(In reply to Christian Legnitto [:LegNeato] from comment #10)
> We need to make sure this isn't enabled for:
> 
> 1. Mac PPC machines

An old PPC Xserve that RelEng has finds no updates when it queries
https://aus2.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/3.6.24/20111103063747/Darwin_ppc-gcc3-u-ppc-i386/en-US/releasetest/Darwin%209.2.0/default/default/update.xml?force=1

We don't generate snippets for Darwin_ppc-gcc3-u-ppc-i386, just the intel build target of Darwin_x86-gcc3-u-ppc-i386.

> 2. Mac 10.4 machines (intel and PPC)

My Intel 10.4.11 machine finds no update when it queries
https://aus3.mozilla.org/update/3/Firefox/3.6.24/20111103063747/Darwin_x86-gcc3-u-ppc-i386/en-US/releasetest/Darwin%208.11.1/default/default/update.xml?force=1

We block all 10.4 requests at
 http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/webtools/aus/xml/inc/config-dist.php#243

> 3. The Linux versions  in bug 655917

In the absence of any real machines we can take an existing linux query and tweak the GTK version.
(In reply to Nick Thomas [:nthomas] from comment #18)
> > 3. The Linux versions  in bug 655917
> 
> In the absence of any real machines we can take an existing linux query and
> tweak the GTK version.

Actually that should be having a kernel with '.el5' in it 
 http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/webtools/aus/xml/inc/config-dist.php#248

Bug 666735 is blocking GTK version '2.10.'
 http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/webtools/aus/xml/inc/config-dist.php#256
... by moving it to 3.6.25, so we're set up for the next release. As of >now< we haven't pushed the snippets to release or beta yet.
Attachment #578116 - Flags: review?(bhearsum)
Snippets are pushed now, just need to do the AUS config change to finish this up.
Attachment #578116 - Flags: review?(bhearsum) → review+
Comment on attachment 578116 [details] [diff] [review]
[cvs] Unthrottle 3.6.24

bhearsum@voot ...aus/xml/inc % cvs commit -m "bug 691483: Do 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1 advertised major update on Dec 1st - unthrottle 3.6.24 -> 8.0.1 MUs. r=bhearsum, patch=nthomas" config-dist.php 
Checking in config-dist.php;
/cvsroot/mozilla/webtools/aus/xml/inc/config-dist.php,v  <--  config-dist.php
new revision: 1.175; previous revision: 1.174
done
bhearsum@voot ...aus/xml/inc % cvs tag AUS2_PRODUCTION config-dist.php 
W config-dist.php : AUS2_PRODUCTION already exists on version 1.174 : NOT MOVING tag to version 1.175
bhearsum@voot ...aus/xml/inc % cvs tag -F AUS2_PRODUCTION config-dist.php
T config-dist.php
Attachment #578116 - Flags: checked-in+
Depends on: 706881
bug 706881 for the push.
Shipped.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 8 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: mozilla.org → Release Engineering
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.