This bug was filed from the Socorro interface and is report bp-dab1a704-3c13-4109-8c6c-349c12111106 . ============================================================= Here's some craziness: we're using the JNI to retrieve driver information for GfxInfo, but that's called from the content process. 0 libxul.so mozilla::AndroidBridge::EnsureJNIThread widget/src/android/AndroidBridge.cpp:239 1 libxul.so mozilla::AndroidBridge::AutoLocalJNIFrame::AutoLocalJNIFrame widget/src/android/AndroidBridge.h:105 2 libxul.so mozilla::AndroidBridge::GetStaticStringField widget/src/android/AndroidBridge.cpp:856 3 libxul.so mozilla::widget::GfxInfo::GetAdapterVendorID widget/src/android/GfxInfo.cpp:192 4 libxul.so mozilla::widget::GfxInfoBase::GetFeatureStatusImpl widget/src/xpwidgets/GfxInfoBase.cpp:597 5 libxul.so mozilla::widget::GfxInfo::GetFeatureStatusImpl widget/src/android/GfxInfo.cpp:321 6 libxul.so mozilla::widget::GfxInfoBase::GetFeatureStatus widget/src/xpwidgets/GfxInfoBase.cpp:574 7 libxul.so mozilla::WebGLContext::SetDimensions content/canvas/src/WebGLContext.cpp:616 8 libxul.so nsHTMLCanvasElement::UpdateContext content/html/content/src/nsHTMLCanvasElement.cpp:622 9 libxul.so nsHTMLCanvasElement::GetContext content/html/content/src/nsHTMLCanvasElement.cpp:540 10 libxul.so nsIDOMHTMLCanvasElement_GetContext obj-firefox/js/xpconnect/src/dom_quickstubs.cpp:18716 11 libxul.so js::InvokeKernel js/src/jscntxtinlines.h:297 12 libxul.so js::Interpret js/src/jsinterp.cpp:3948 13 libxul.so js::RunScript js/src/jsinterp.cpp:584 14 libxul.so js::Execute js/src/jsinterp.cpp:783 15 libxul.so JS_EvaluateUCScriptForPrincipalsVersion js/src/jsapi.cpp:5038 16 libxul.so nsJSContext::EvaluateString dom/base/nsJSEnvironment.cpp:1490 17 libxul.so nsScriptLoader::EvaluateScript content/base/src/nsScriptLoader.cpp:905 18 libxul.so nsScriptLoader::ProcessRequest content/base/src/nsScriptLoader.cpp:799 19 libxul.so nsScriptLoader::ProcessPendingRequests content/base/src/nsScriptLoader.cpp:948 20 libxul.so nsScriptLoader::OnStreamComplete content/base/src/nsScriptLoader.cpp:1182 21 libxul.so nsStreamLoader::OnStopRequest netwerk/base/src/nsStreamLoader.cpp:125 22 libxul.so nsHTTPCompressConv::OnStopRequest netwerk/streamconv/converters/nsHTTPCompressConv.cpp:127 23 libxul.so mozilla::net::HttpChannelChild::OnStopRequest netwerk/protocol/http/HttpChannelChild.cpp:484
This is killing Fennec nightly on every use of a canvas element. We should either back out the Android changes or properly serialize the relevant information in the parent and send it on process creation.
And when I say canvas, I really mean webgl canvas. Still, this is a topcrash.
Created attachment 572313 [details] [diff] [review] avoid calling GfxInfoBase::GetFeatureStatusImpl for now on Android this should remove this crash, according to the call stack. So... if we can't use this interface to query hardware information in the content process on Android, what do you think we should do to get that infomation? Query it from the chrome process and pipe it to the content process?
I think the best plan would be to query and send the information in the chrome process inside ContentParent::ContentParent, and keep it all under an #ifdef ANDROID.
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/161c6106d787 Reopen if crashes persist.
I'm unable to repro this when I backout the patch. jdm: what hardware/setup are you using, and is there any other info you can give me to repro it? I'd also appreciate a more in-depth description as to how you think this should be dealt with properly.
I merely saw this topcrash on crash-stats, I didn't try reproducing it. I'm not certain it's worth solving properly, given that desktop e10s is on hold and mobile e10s is going away imminently on nightlies.
This is a problem that still has to be dealt with. It was caused by some additions I made to support blocklisting Android devices from graphics features (OpenGL Layers, WebGL, etc). Benoit wrote up a temporary fix for it, but I need to reactivate this code properly. Any info you can provide would be appreciated.
It looks like any content process which triggers a SetDimensions call on a webgl canvas should cause the problem. I outlined a plan to solve this properly in comment 4 - we send other bits of information to child processes already, so this would just be querying amd sending one more thing, then storing that data somewhere so that we don't need to hit the JNI for the feature status later.
Ok, I think I completely missed the e10s being phased out part. It sounds like based on that, there's no reason not to do these queries on a single process once this is done, i.e. the way we were already doing them minus the mistakes in handling SDK versions detailed in bug 700931.
Actually, it might remain necessary to solve this properly for content processes if B2G is planning to be using them, which I believe they are.
mwu tells me that Gonk doesn't care about this, so we can probably leave it be.
Ok, thanks for checking into that.
We should definitely fix this the "right way", if it's not incredibly difficult to solve generally. Rumors of the death of multi-process Gecko are greatly exaggerated, even if particular products (desktop Firefox) aren't planning on using it in the near future.
Ok, I will start looking into solving it correctly then. If anyone has any repro steps or additional information on it, please provide it as right now I can't repro it.
Occurs in XUL; reopening based on comment 5. Using the Nightly XUL 2012-01-24, created a new tab and tried to go to the address while another tab was already trying to load www.cnn.com bp-611b0a7e-96fd-4dcd-8575-5ff982120125 Thunderbolt, 2.3
Comment 17 is a different crash, tracked in bug 720400.