Closed Bug 715726 Opened 12 years ago Closed 12 years ago

[Firefox Aurora Update] Design + Copy Update Firefox Aurora for Mobile pages with Instructions on How to Download

Categories

(Marketing :: Design, task)

x86
macOS
task
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: gjimenez, Assigned: tyronflanagan)

References

Details

Attachments

(5 files)

Hi Tara, 

This was not in the initial scope of the project. 

However, after reviewing the mobile aurora page: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/

We still have the mobile download button going to the wiki: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora

I was wondering if we can create a page a pretty page with the content we have in the wiki (instructions on how to download firefox aurora for android) 

this would be both for the mobile desktop page and mobile optimized page. 
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/
optimized: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora 

adding matej for copy suggestions as well.

happy to discuss deadlines.
Blocks: 715727
Some background: We're planning on linking users directly to the build to download and getting rid of the wiki page - this thank you page will be served as the build is downloading in the background.  

Goal of this page is to provide the instructions to enable downloads, and possibly the read me disclaimer https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#ReadMe:_Native_UI_Builds
(In reply to Jaclyn Fu from comment #1)
> Some background: We're planning on linking users directly to the build to
> download and getting rid of the wiki page - this thank you page will be
> served as the build is downloading in the background.  

^^For mobile optimized version only.  On desktop when they click on the download button, they will not be able to download.  Copy should give them directions to download on their mobile
> 
> Goal of this page is to provide the instructions to enable downloads, and
> possibly the read me disclaimer
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#ReadMe:_Native_UI_Builds
Sorry, not entirely clear on this. Is this a page that tells people how to download Aurora (as per comment 0)? Or a thank you page that displays once Aurora is already downloading (as per comment 1)?
(In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #3)
> Sorry, not entirely clear on this. Is this a page that tells people how to
> download Aurora (as per comment 0)? Or a thank you page that displays once
> Aurora is already downloading (as per comment 1)?

Hi Matej, 

Page that tells people how to download Aurora, since they cant download directly (desktop view: instructions on how to download on your android. mobile view: once you click download it will take you to this new page with the instructions on how to set it up on your android but the build will be downloading at the same time) 

we need the instructions since it's not being downloaded from the android market. 

let me know if you have any additional questions! Thanks!
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #4)
> (In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #3)
> > Sorry, not entirely clear on this. Is this a page that tells people how to
> > download Aurora (as per comment 0)? Or a thank you page that displays once
> > Aurora is already downloading (as per comment 1)?
> 
> Hi Matej, 
> 
> Page that tells people how to download Aurora, since they cant download
> directly (desktop view: instructions on how to download on your android.
> mobile view: once you click download it will take you to this new page with
> the instructions on how to set it up on your android but the build will be
> downloading at the same time) 
> 
> we need the instructions since it's not being downloaded from the android
> market. 
> 
> let me know if you have any additional questions! Thanks!

Grace, before creating any new pages, I think we should pause and have a quick huddle with Ty this week. 

Specifically, Laura F. and I want to make sure that the pages being requested are the best ones that should go into the flow.

Aurora is quite different, especially when downloading to a mobile device, it's going to be very important that we make sure we're solving the right problem and not possibly creating new challenges for the users. 

Some questions:

*should this page be the equivalent of the /fx page "Thank you for downloading... here are next steps" and also have the detection that lets Aurora users know they are on the most up-to-date version of Aurora?

*what are the long term plans for the mobile download? Will it ever be off of the current FTP site? Should the post-download page be mobile-specific/desktop specific content?

*Two pages or one page? a /m version as well?

*What works best for users, what do they need?

So, quick huddle?
Reassigning to myself, sending out a note for a quick huddle.
Assignee: tshahian → christine.brodigan
(In reply to mcbmoz from comment #5)
> (In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #4)
> > (In reply to Matej Novak [:matej] from comment #3)
> > > Sorry, not entirely clear on this. Is this a page that tells people how to
> > > download Aurora (as per comment 0)? Or a thank you page that displays once
> > > Aurora is already downloading (as per comment 1)?
> > 
> > Hi Matej, 
> > 
> > Page that tells people how to download Aurora, since they cant download
> > directly (desktop view: instructions on how to download on your android.
> > mobile view: once you click download it will take you to this new page with
> > the instructions on how to set it up on your android but the build will be
> > downloading at the same time) 
> > 
> > we need the instructions since it's not being downloaded from the android
> > market. 
> > 
> > let me know if you have any additional questions! Thanks!
> 
> Grace, before creating any new pages, I think we should pause and have a
> quick huddle with Ty this week. 
> 
> Specifically, Laura F. and I want to make sure that the pages being
> requested are the best ones that should go into the flow.
> 
> Aurora is quite different, especially when downloading to a mobile device,
> it's going to be very important that we make sure we're solving the right
> problem and not possibly creating new challenges for the users. 
> 
> Some questions:
> 
> *should this page be the equivalent of the /fx page "Thank you for
> downloading... here are next steps" and also have the detection that lets
> Aurora users know they are on the most up-to-date version of Aurora?
> 
> *what are the long term plans for the mobile download? Will it ever be off
> of the current FTP site? Should the post-download page be
> mobile-specific/desktop specific content?
> 
> *Two pages or one page? a /m version as well?
> 
> *What works best for users, what do they need?
> 
> So, quick huddle?

happy for a quick huddle this week.

but currently when a user click the download button, it goes here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora

so we're just trying to create a pretty version of this page.
it is pretty similar to the "Thank you for downloading page..." although it doesnt download in the background (for desktop view). for mobile view, it will download in the background but need to provide further instructions.


we've propose to get the aurora mobile build in the android market, but that's still tbd. mostly likely it will not go in the android market, hence we wanted to make the instructions page (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora) more user friendly. 

happy to huddle if you have any additional questions.

thanks
Blocks: 718815
No longer blocks: 718815
Summary: [Firefox Aurora] Firefox Aurora for Mobile Download instructions page → [Firefox Aurora Update] Design + Copy Update Firefox Aurora for Mobile pages with Instructions on How to Download
adding notes from meeting:

* we want to avoid linking users to the Wiki page (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora)  - it's a horrible experience. Thus we need to display the appropriate information onto aurora landing pages

pages: 
http://www.mozilla.org/mobile/aurora/
http://www.mozilla.org/m/firefox/aurora/

* taking out download buttons in aurora mobile pages - a download action is not happening actually happening

* we need to simplify download instructions copy [need copy recommendations from matej based from instructions provided in https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora, grace/jaclyn to provide any additional feedback on the copy] 
* add the simplified download instructions to the aurora mobile pages 
* add QR code in the instructions - QR code will be link to FTP 
* add system requirement in the aurora mobile pages

ty, let me know if i missed anything else or have any additional questions.

thanks!
re: copy

Matej, 

we probably dont need all the copy from the instructions wiki page (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android#Download_Aurora).

* we probably dont need the top portion..(ie. The Aurora channel provides an early preview of the next Firefox Beta release....)

* keep  the "Download instructions" portion and the 1, 2,3 download steps

* We should mention that users can use Aurora alongside other builds

* we also need to add instructions on how to allow 3rd party apps (additional instructions tbd).
Blocks: 718835
Suggested possible copy w/ updated instructions: 

Instructions:
1. Check the system requirements below to see if Aurora is compatible with your Android device.
2. Configure your device to install non-Android Market apps by going to your Settings > Applications > Check mark "Unknown sources" (note that some devices might have a slightly different process).
3. Download Aurora directly onto your Android device by scanning the QR code or by entering the URL in your device's web browser.
4. Open the "apk" file when it finishes downloading.

You can install Firefox Aurora alongside the official released version of Firefox, and use both on the same device.
Thanks for the extra info. What's the timing on this?
it's not tied to a particular release, but would be great if we can update this sooner or later as we are also trying to finish the release channel branding project.
Slightly edited copy from comment 10:

Instructions:
1. Check the system requirements below to see if Aurora is compatible with your Android device.
2. Configure your device to install non–Android Market apps by going to Settings > Applications and checking "Unknown sources" (note that some devices may have a slightly different process).
3. Download Aurora directly to your Android device by scanning the QR code or by entering the URL in your device's browser.
4. Open the "apk" file when it finishes downloading.

You can install Firefox Aurora alongside other Firefox releases and use them on the same device.
this looks good to me!
it's pretty straightforward. Although, I am curious whether how it would look when we lay it out in the page, whether it would still be too long?

ty, please let us know if you need anything else or have any additional questions regarding the copy.

would it be possible to make sure that the qr code URL is track? maybe in webtrends?
good idea on the webtrends link for qr code - which tracking link would you like to use? I can create the QR code using it
the qr code should go directly the apk file. 

maybe that's more of an implementations question, as it will need to be updated every release.

ty, do we have the final design? is there anything else you need here?

thanks
hi ty, 

did you get a chance to review this bug yet?
any updates?

thanks
hi ty, 

do we have any update with this bug?
please let me know if you have any additional questions.

thanks!
hi Chrissie, 

looks like this is still assigned to you. 
can we assign to ty based on our meeting and decisions from a few weeks ago?

thanks!
Grace, thanks for the nudge! 

I just opened Bug 722899 , because I suspect we don't need a new design. Let's see if Steven can take the copy from comment 13 and do a little experimenting in the existing templates.

If not we'll reopen this!
Assignee: cbrodigan → steven
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Here is the updated page for the for the FFx Aurora Download page. This is the minimized accordian which when clicked, will expand the content areas to show the new content areas.

I have made several oher design changes to this page (outside of the instructions and system req. additions) that will need to be included in the next dev cycle.

Please note, were moving away from the Museo Sans font and will be using Open Sans instead going forward. (This will affect all current Aurora and possibly Beta pages)
Ill need a new QR code which will reference the APK file directly. Currently it references this Aurora mobile download page. 

Also, please check the copy under the 4 steps to ensure it effectively relates to download process
hi ty, 

thanks for the mockups. 

i like it. 

couple of things
- we probably need to add a big and bright text or button (similar to download button) that says Get Firefox Aurora for Android now and then pulls the page down to the instructions on how to install. we need to make sure the CTA is clear in the page

-since the instructions on how to download is pretty simplistic, im thinking maybe we dont need it to be an expending content? what do you thing?

- lastly, the list of supported devices is pretty daunting... maybe we can just take out the expanding content and add a small link to the list of supported devices page?

let me know what you think.

thanks!
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Assignee: steven → tyronflanagan
Grace, we closed this to conserve resources in comment 20 - can you help identify why it's been reopened?
Ty posted the updated designs after the bug was close.
I reopened it to review the designs proposed. 

The combination of the step by step instructions with the graphics, makes the instructions seems really simple to follow.

I think this would really help steven in implementing the changes in the bug that you opened Bug 722899. 

im pretty happy with the design, given the few tweaks provided in comment 23. if steven can take it from here, would be happy to re-close the bug again.

thanks!
I also already had an implementation bug opened bug 715727 (which is also attached to this bug).

Please feel free to close as duplicate since they are exactly the same as recently opened Bug 722899. 

thanks!
hi ty, 

can you please post the updated design?
please let me know if you have any questions regarding the tweaks.

Chrissie, im closing Bug 722899 since it's a duplicate of this request and we are almost done with the design. I assume it would be much easier for steven to implement in bug 715727 if we have the final design.

Thanks!
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #27)
> hi ty, 
> 
> can you please post the updated design?

Grace - are the graphics in Comment 22 final? If not, what changes are you expecting Ty to make

> please let me know if you have any questions regarding the tweaks.
> 
> Chrissie, im closing Bug 722899 since it's a duplicate of this request and
> we are almost done with the design. I assume it would be much easier for
> steven to implement in bug 715727 if we have the final design.
> 
> Thanks!
hi laura, 

provided feedback in comment 23.

to summarize: 
- Need to add CTA in the page
We didnt want the download button since it's misleading. However, we should still add the CTA of getting the aurora for android.

Maybe we can add a big and bright text or button (similar to download button) that says Get Firefox Aurora for Android now and then when you click it, it goes to the section of the page with the instructions on how to install.

-since the instructions on how to download is pretty simplistic, we dont need it to be an expending content. (QR code will also direct to the apk)

- lastly, the list of supported devices is pretty daunting ... maybe we can just take out the expanding content of the list of devices and add a small link under the CTA text or button.

We just need the final design with those tweaks. Unless, we think steven can make those updates in the implementation process.

Thanks!
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #30)
> hi laura, 
> 
> provided feedback in comment 23.
> 
> to summarize: 
> - Need to add CTA in the page
> We didnt want the download button since it's misleading. However, we should
> still add the CTA of getting the aurora for android.
> 
> Maybe we can add a big and bright text or button (similar to download
> button) that says Get Firefox Aurora for Android now and then when you click
> it, it goes to the section of the page with the instructions on how to
> install.

This sounds fine - you can use the >> button. Upon button click, the user can be directed down to the 1, 2, 3, steps within the same page. Keep the 1, 2, 3, steps in a open state (fine to remove the "-" since it's the main meat of the page), where they can learn more. 


> -since the instructions on how to download is pretty simplistic, we dont
> need it to be an expending content. (QR code will also direct to the apk)

+1
 
> - lastly, the list of supported devices is pretty daunting ... maybe we can
> just take out the expanding content of the list of devices and add a small
> link under the CTA text or button.

Agree - let's remove that section entirely and add a link under the button to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/platforms/ - we don't want to have to update two different sources. (Grace - is that the right link for Aurora Mobile?)

> We just need the final design with those tweaks. Unless, we think steven can
> make those updates in the implementation process.

I'd like to see the design here, so Ty, if you can help out it would be greatly appreciated. 
 
> Thanks!
hi ty, 

if you can please post the final design here that would be really awesome!

Thanks!
Hi Ty - If we nail down the design by Thursday of this week we'll have a shot at getting this into next weeks release. Does that timing sound good?
Hey,

Ill update in the morning and post the PSD on my FTP :)
(In reply to Ty Flanagan from comment #35)
> http://mozilla.tyflanagan.com/artwork/Nightly_Aurora/
> FFx_Aurora_Mobile_wInstructions_Final.psd.zip

Thanks Ty! 

Let's take a second to conduct a creative review here before implementing. We will try to get comments to you by EOD today!
looks good! could we make the blue button bigger? there's a lot of text in that area it sort of fades into the background for me
Attached image jpg version of creative
Copy Question:

In step #3, what does "...or by entering the URL in your browser" refer to? Meaning, which URL would they enter?
(In reply to Laura Forrest from comment #39)
> Copy Question:
> 
> In step #3, what does "...or by entering the URL in your browser" refer to?
> Meaning, which URL would they enter?

JFu/Matej - friendly ping as you would know best here. Regardless of the URL, it seems like that line of copy is not as clear as it could be.
(In reply to Laura Forrest from comment #40)
> (In reply to Laura Forrest from comment #39)
> > Copy Question:
> > 
> > In step #3, what does "...or by entering the URL in your browser" refer to?
> > Meaning, which URL would they enter?
> 
> JFu/Matej - friendly ping as you would know best here. Regardless of the
> URL, it seems like that line of copy is not as clear as it could be.

That's a good question. I think we should just put the URL in the line, but I'm not sure which one it is. Jaclyn?
the URL will have to change everytime we have a new version available. 

In the current wiki (http://screencast.com/t/olHpyQbGP8b8) it's the short URL.

Short URL: http://is.gd/fennec12a2en
Attached image Short Link
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #42)
> the URL will have to change everytime we have a new version available. 
> 
> In the current wiki (http://screencast.com/t/olHpyQbGP8b8) it's the short
> URL.
> 
> Short URL: http://is.gd/fennec12a2en

Bleh. 

Grace or JFu - can you ask or work with release eng to perhaps create a download redirect that we can keep up on the site and not change, and simply change it on the back-end each time there's a new release? Something user friendly like: mzl.la/aurora or the like?

If not, then let's use what we have above and we'll just have to change it each release.
adding alex to see if he has recommendation on how we can resolve this. 

Alex, is there anyway we can have one link (that is not changing) but build is updated?

Thanks!
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #45)
> adding alex to see if he has recommendation on how we can resolve this. 
> 
> Alex, is there anyway we can have one link (that is not changing) but build
> is updated?
> 
> Thanks!

See the latest conversation in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675963. James should be able to help with automatic URL construction.
Hi All, 

I know we are still waiting for the URL from bug 675963, but are we good with the design? 

I assume the URL can be updated during the implementation?

Are we making that tweak from comment 37?

Thanks!
(In reply to Grace Jimenez :grace from comment #47)
> Hi All, 
> 
> I know we are still waiting for the URL from bug 675963, but are we good
> with the design? 
> 
> I assume the URL can be updated during the implementation?
> 
> Are we making that tweak from comment 37?
> 
> Thanks!

Ty - what do you think of making the button larger (see comment 37). In general this button should be consistent with the other button treatments on our site, so you call here based on the standards we use. 

Let us know, besides getting the final URL this is the last open question here so feel free to close this bug when done.
My preference would be to keep it consistent with the other button sizes. We tend to limit the larger button size to FFx direct downloads.
hi Ty, 

the button seems to skinny and too long? 
Maybe we can make the copy shorter like "Install Aurora for Android?"
Can we have it the same size as this: http://screencast.com/t/g81GzpQD but without the arrow?

Thanks!
hi ty, 

I was wondering if we can finalize the design of this page and hopefully get this updated in the next week or two.

Thanks!

Grace
Ty - can you give us an update here?
Are we good with this page? Any thoughts on the latest comp in Comment 53?
Grace, are we finished here?
Hi all, we are in the process of discussion minimum requirements for native UI, and are likely to increase the requirements to Android version 2.2 instead of 2.1. We're getting sign off at the end of the week - will keep you updated
Confirmed that the system requirements have been bumped up to 2.2
hi ty, 

can you please update the 2.1 to 2.2?
or is that just copy change that webdev can help us update?

Thanks
The PSD has been updated to show 2.2 as the version number.

http://cl.ly/1p0142191g2c0O2H3437
thanks Ty.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Closed: 12 years ago12 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.

Attachment

General

Creator:
Created:
Updated:
Size: