Redirect MathML project to MDN [Bedrock]

VERIFIED FIXED in Future

Status

VERIFIED FIXED
7 years ago
5 years ago

People

(Reporter: christine.brodigan, Unassigned)

Tracking

(Blocks: 1 bug)

unspecified
Future
x86
Mac OS X

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [kb=1087986] [u=admin c=bedrock p=1], URL)

Attachments

(2 attachments, 1 obsolete attachment)

The /mathml/ and  and /mozbot/ dirs have been removed from trunk (r101439).

Can anyone comment on the index.de.html, index.fr.html, etc? I don't know the story on those.

Still have to add the rhino redirect too.

Comment 3

7 years ago
(In reply to Steven Garrity from comment #1)
> The /mathml/ and  and /mozbot/ dirs have been removed from trunk (r101439).

The main mozilla.org/projects/mathml/ page may have been a redirect but AFAIK there were other pages in that directory that may have still been in use.

> Can anyone comment on the index.de.html, index.fr.html, etc? I don't know
> the story on those.

There had been some interest from localizers to localize the home page and I checked those in when they were made available.  

Although there's no real l10n system on the site to do language detection or language selection, we were posting localized files for some pages, like the Manifesto page.

Since the home page is changing anyway and will be localizable, I think it's fine to remove these.
(In reply to David Boswell from comment #3)
> (In reply to Steven Garrity from comment #1)
> > The /mathml/ and  and /mozbot/ dirs have been removed from trunk (r101439).
> 
> The main mozilla.org/projects/mathml/ page may have been a redirect but
> AFAIK there were other pages in that directory that may have still been in
> use.

Yes, the unused pages were already removed. We are waiting for bug 602828 to be fixed before migrating the remaining pages. Can someone please restore the start-* and demo/ pages. Thanks.
(In reply to Frédéric Wang from comment #4)
> Yes, the unused pages were already removed. We are waiting for bug 602828 to
> be fixed before migrating the remaining pages. Can someone please restore
> the start-* and demo/ pages. Thanks.

Restored in trunk in r101498. Sorry for the trouble.

(In reply to mcbmoz from comment #2)
> Steven, let's go with:
> http://mozilla.org/index.de.html --> http://www.mozilla.org/de/firefox/
> http://mozilla.org/index.fr.html --> http://www.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/
> http://mozilla.org/index.hr.html --> http://www.mozilla.org/hr/firefox/
> http://mozilla.org/index.html --> http://www.mozilla.org
> http://mozilla.org/index.pt-BR.html --> http://www.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/
> http://mozilla.org/index.sq.html -->http://www.mozilla.org/sq/firefox/

Chrissie, since these pages are currently 404s, can we just leave them without redirects?
(In reply to Steven Garrity from comment #5)
> (In reply to Frédéric Wang from comment #4)
> > Yes, the unused pages were already removed. We are waiting for bug 602828 to
> > be fixed before migrating the remaining pages. Can someone please restore
> > the start-* and demo/ pages. Thanks.
> 
> Restored in trunk in r101498. Sorry for the trouble.
> 

No problem.
(Reporter)

Comment 7

7 years ago
Steven, RE: "since these pages are currently 404s, can we just leave them without redirects?"

I'd like to reduce the number of 404s on the .org site, because we have so many they penalize us.  Any ideas?
(In reply to mcbmoz from comment #7)
> Steven, RE: "since these pages are currently 404s, can we just leave them
> without redirects?"
> 
> I'd like to reduce the number of 404s on the .org site, because we have so
> many they penalize us.  Any ideas?

Does anyone actually link to these pages?
Target Milestone: 1.6 → 1.7

Comment 9

7 years ago
Umm.. The mozbot pages should not have been a redirect and should not have been removed - unless there's a push to exclude the Mozbot project (which is still active, though updated infrequently, I'm the project owner) from the website. Last I had checked the project pages were still active and had updated to the newer website design.

I can't locate the bug where the pages were made a redirect - and there's no mention here of /where/ they were being redirected to - but I wasn't consulted and didn't OK any redirects.

Bug 728398 has been filed about the mozbot pages being missing.

Comment 10

7 years ago
Umm, Unless there's some other place there was a redirect (besides the .htaccess file at the top of the tree), I'm not seeing the existence of one for anything under /projects/mozbot/ the pages are now 404s and were actually being used. So unless there's a prevailing reason I'd like to ask they be restored. (see the above mentioned bug.)

Updated

7 years ago
Blocks: 728398
(Reporter)

Comment 11

7 years ago
(In reply to Wolf [:wolf] from comment #10)
> Umm, Unless there's some other place there was a redirect (besides the
> .htaccess file at the top of the tree), I'm not seeing the existence of one
> for anything under /projects/mozbot/ the pages are now 404s and were
> actually being used. So unless there's a prevailing reason I'd like to ask
> they be restored. (see the above mentioned bug.)

Wolf, sorry for the inconvenience, but very glad you've noticed this. 

The purpose of this bug is to help us clean up mozilla.org for an upcoming migration. I noticed these pages were missing and we're working to reduce 404s. 

Bug 729398 should be helpful in resolving anything that may have happened in SVN that removed these pages (that would have been outside of this bug though, so we'll resolve over on Bug 729398).
No longer blocks: 728398
Created attachment 598778 [details] [diff] [review]
Redirect some MathML pages

FYI, some MathML pages have been renamed from .xhtml to .html.
Here is a proposed patch to add redirections.
I notice the /projects/calendar/sunbird.html redirect here is not effective:
http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.org/trunk/projects/calendar/.htaccess?revision=79219&view=markup

so I assume that means a /projects/mathml/.htaccess also won't be effective.
Anyone object to me trying to add redirects to the toplevel .htaccess?

Comment 14

7 years ago
(In reply to Karl Tomlinson (:karlt) from comment #13)
> I notice the /projects/calendar/sunbird.html redirect here is not effective:
> http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.org/trunk/projects/
> calendar/.htaccess?revision=79219&view=markup
> 
> so I assume that means a /projects/mathml/.htaccess also won't be effective.
> Anyone object to me trying to add redirects to the toplevel .htaccess?

After the www.mozilla.org/www.mozilla.com merge, .htaccess files in the SVN repo aren't recognized.  James Long knows the new redirect system.
Attachment #598778 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Thanks, David.  I get the impression that James is too busy to review redirect patches or point us in the right direction for writing patches.

Perhaps we should use stub xhtml files with javascript window.location.replace() redirects until bug 730729 is resolved, though I don't know how search engines will treat that.
(Assignee)

Updated

6 years ago
Component: www.mozilla.org → General
Product: Websites → www.mozilla.org
I migrated the MathML project pages to MDN at the beginning of the month:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=585142#c2

Nobody complained, so I guess we can now finally remove the projects/mathml/ directory and add the following redirections:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start-ar.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/ar/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Start
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start-hebrew.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/he/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Start
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Start
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start-thai.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/th/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Start
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/start-zh.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/zh-CN/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Start
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/basics.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Basics
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/extras.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Extras 
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/mfrac.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/mfrac
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/mmultiscripts.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/mmultiscripts
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/mo.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/mo
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/mspace.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/mspace
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/mtable.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/mtable
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/roots.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/roots
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/MathML_Torture_Test
Can someone please take care of adding the redirections mentioned in comment 16? 

@Karl: I think you have write permission to the SVN repository and so are able to remove the old pages?
Flags: needinfo?(karlt)
Looking at bug 731876, the files to change are those in http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc?revision=103126&view=revision

I can remove the old files from SVN once the redirects are in place.
Flags: needinfo?(karlt)
Created attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch MathML redirections

Here is a patch (not tested).
Attachment #697845 - Flags: review?(karlt)
Comment on attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review]
Patch MathML redirections

Would it be worth migrating start-hebrew and start-thai to
developer.mozilla.org?  You decide whether or not that is important.

I also notice https://developer.mozilla.org/zh redirects to zh-TW and superficially https://developer.mozilla.org/zh-TW/ looks more maintained than 
https://developer.mozilla.org/zh-CN/.  But I don't know whether the page is in TW or CN style.  Just commenting FYI.
Attachment #697845 - Flags: review?(karlt) → review+
I think the initial goal of these start pages was to show up some examples of maths inside non-latin text. I've used MDN's localization URL but I'm not sure whether everything is done correctly (another issue: this seems to create a RTL page ar/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project in English). Let's just migrate the pages and let the MDN users manage them as they wish. After all, one of the reason to move the pages from the SVN repository was to give editing control to other Mozillians...
Locale: zu / Zulu
@James: Can you please verify and commit attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review]?
Flags: needinfo?(jlong)
Flags: needinfo?(jlong)

Comment 23

6 years ago
(In reply to Frédéric Wang (:fredw) from comment #22)
> @James: Can you please verify and commit attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review]
> [review]?

James Long is not involved with mozilla.org any longer. We have a new redirect system built my Paul McLanahan that is directly within the Bedrock/Django system.

Can you verify the exact URLs that are on mozilla.org now and where they should go? This bug is a bit old and want to make sure we are working off of the latest info. 

Thanks!
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #23)
> Can you verify the exact URLs that are on mozilla.org now and where they
> should go? This bug is a bit old and want to make sure we are working off of
> the latest info. 

Thank you. The redirections from attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review] are still valid, where on each line the relative URLs are from http://www.mozilla.org/.

The lines starting with a "+" provide the redirections that should be added, where on each line the first URL is the old one from www.mozilla.org and the second URL is the new one where they should go. For example

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/font-testing.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts/Test 

(Note that each "-" line is a redirection on mozilla.org from a *.xhtml page to a *.html page and must be superseded by the corresponding "+" line)

Comment 25

6 years ago
(In reply to Frédéric Wang (:fredw) from comment #24)
> (In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #23)
> > Can you verify the exact URLs that are on mozilla.org now and where they
> > should go? This bug is a bit old and want to make sure we are working off of
> > the latest info. 
> 
> Thank you. The redirections from attachment 697845 [details] [diff] [review]
> are still valid, where on each line the relative URLs are from
> http://www.mozilla.org/.
> 
> The lines starting with a "+" provide the redirections that should be added,
> where on each line the first URL is the old one from www.mozilla.org and the
> second URL is the new one where they should go. For example
> 
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/font-testing.html =>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts/Test 
> 
> (Note that each "-" line is a redirection on mozilla.org from a *.xhtml page
> to a *.html page and must be superseded by the corresponding "+" line)

Can we can just simply redirect users from any URL at: 

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/.*

to:

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project

My rationale for doing this is because our redirects on mozilla.org are already overly complex (thousands of them) and SEO is already pointing to MDN.

Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mozilla+mathml
https://www.google.com/search?q=mozilla+mathml+fonts
There are at least two pages that many people refer to (and have been doing for several years) and for which I'd like to have the exact redirections:

- https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/Fonts (that already have the correct redirection)

- http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/MathML_Torture_Test (that needs to be added)

For the rest, I think it's ok to just redirect to 
https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project.

Comment 27

6 years ago
:fredw: we will get this on our mozilla.org scrum back log and use comment 26 as the direction for it. I am also adjusting the summary to be specific.

and just to clarify, we need two redirects:

One specific redirect:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.html => https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/MathML_Torture_Test 

and catch-all redirect:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/ => https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project

This will help eliminate some old code off of Mozilla.org, which is critical to having a Django-only instance of mozilla.org.
Summary: [One Mozilla] Remove/redirect pages from mozilla.org → Redirect MathML project to MDN [Bedrock]
Whiteboard: [u=admin c=bedrock p=1]
Target Milestone: 1.7 → Future

Updated

6 years ago
Assignee: steven → nobody

Comment 28

6 years ago
Umm.  as opposed to resummarizing this bug, you probably should be spinning off a new one for these redirects. This bug covered more work than just MathML. (See Comment 9 and Comment 10 for examples of the scope of this bug which harmed other projects.)

Comment 29

6 years ago
(In reply to Wolf [:wolf] from comment #28)
> Umm.  as opposed to resummarizing this bug, you probably should be spinning
> off a new one for these redirects. This bug covered more work than just
> MathML. (See Comment 9 and Comment 10 for examples of the scope of this bug
> which harmed other projects.)

:wolf: isn't bug 833871 specific about those comments?

Comment 30

6 years ago
I suppose I should reference Comment 11 which says that the bug is about cleanup - not specific to MathML. So the re-summarizing is confusing (which is the point i'm trying to make here). I have no idea what that bug 833871 is about, since its protected.

Comment 31

6 years ago
Opps, pasted wrong bug number. I meant bug 602828.

The original bug had localized index pages, mathML, and mozbot redirects. The mozbot redirects/content is already in bug 728398. The localized indexed pages are probably no longer relevant given that Bedrock/Django's L10N system is finally nearly complete. Do you know how people would be manually linking to locales like http://mozilla.org/index.de.html?
(In reply to Chris More [:cmore] from comment #27)
> :fredw: we will get this on our mozilla.org scrum back log and use comment
> 26 as the direction for it. I am also adjusting the summary to be specific.
> 
> and just to clarify, we need two redirects:
> 
> One specific redirect:
> 
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/demo/texvsmml.html =>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project/
> MathML_Torture_Test 
> 
> and catch-all redirect:
> 
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/mathml/ =>
> https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Mozilla_MathML_Project
> 
> This will help eliminate some old code off of Mozilla.org, which is critical
> to having a Django-only instance of mozilla.org.

So what is the status on this? Do you need me to provide more information before proceeding? Or are there ongoing changes in the MDN redirect infrastructure that are blocking this bug?

Comment 33

6 years ago
This is on our legacy migration project and we will be getting to it soon. We have this on our project backlog and linked to this bug.
submitted https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/pull/934 for the two links mentioned in comment #27

Updated

5 years ago
Blocks: 879544
Created attachment 759259 [details] [diff] [review]
removes mathml redirects in .htaccess

I have removed the  3.htaccess redirects in the mozilla.com svn repo and added them to bedrock. I've also added the /mathml/demo/texvsmml.html to the bedrock branch.
This patch should be applied to the svn branch before the bedrock pull request is merged
Before closing this bug, please delete the mathml directory from SVN.

Comment 37

5 years ago
MathML redirects are in place and *most* of the URLs in comment 0 have been redirected. A few were not redirected in comment 0 because there were only a few 2-3 page views in the past 30 days.
Excellent. In order to close this bug, we need to do one thing:

1) Delete /projects/mathml and all of its contents from SVN

AFAIK there are no blockers. We can do it right now. Once it's done, this bug can be closed.
Do you have commit access to the SVN repository or should Karl apply attachment 759259 [details] [diff] [review] and remove the mathml/ directory?
Flags: needinfo?(hoosteeno)
I confirm the redirection are now in place. Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(hoosteeno)
Reopening. Per comment 38, this bug needs one thing to happen before it can be resolved:

1) Delete /projects/mathml and all of its contents from SVN

In other words, until the below URL no longer exists, this bug is still open:

http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.org/trunk/projects/mathml/

I do not have the commit privileges in SVN needed to make this change.
Status: VERIFIED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
Whiteboard: [u=admin c=bedrock p=1] → [kb=1087986] [u=admin c=bedrock p=1]
(In reply to Justin Crawford [:hoosteeno] from comment #44)
> Reopening. Per comment 38, this bug needs one thing to happen before it can
> be resolved:
> 
> 1) Delete /projects/mathml and all of its contents from SVN
> 
> In other words, until the below URL no longer exists, this bug is still open:
> 
> http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.org/trunk/projects/mathml/
> 
> I do not have the commit privileges in SVN needed to make this change.

Karl, can you please do that?
Flags: needinfo?(karlt)
(In reply to Frédéric Wang (:fredw) from comment #45)
> (In reply to Justin Crawford [:hoosteeno] from comment #44)
> > Reopening. Per comment 38, this bug needs one thing to happen before it can
> > be resolved:
> > 
> > 1) Delete /projects/mathml and all of its contents from SVN
> > 
> > In other words, until the below URL no longer exists, this bug is still open:
> > 
> > http://viewvc.svn.mozilla.org/vc/projects/mozilla.org/trunk/projects/mathml/
> > 
> > I do not have the commit privileges in SVN needed to make this change.
> 
> Karl, can you please do that?

I'll do it.
Flags: needinfo?(karlt)
Removed in branches/staging in r119422.

Merged to trunk in r119423.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 5 years ago5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 48

5 years ago
Commits pushed to master at https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/110658cf31d7d7b6533a828f5b76ff92d030014b
Fix bug 979039, 724682 - prepend slash

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/47478c7b0a230d8ec86ae37bca6829260e3224e6
Merge pull request #1527 from jgmize/bug-878039-prepend-slash

Fix bug 979039, 724682 - prepend slash
fixed on production
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.