Menus often get lost on Linux

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1499336

Status

()

--
major
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1499336
7 years ago
27 days ago

People

(Reporter: hong, Unassigned)

Tracking

13 Branch
x86_64
Linux
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [testday-20120615])

(Reporter)

Description

7 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0
Build ID: 20120601045813

Steps to reproduce:

Use as usual. Do normal browsing.


Actual results:

Sometimes menus will not appear, including the context menu, Firefox global menu, combo box on the web page.


Expected results:

Menus should appear normally
(Reporter)

Updated

7 years ago
Severity: normal → major
OS: Mac OS X → Linux
Hardware: x86 → x86_64
(Reporter)

Comment 1

7 years ago
For me, I haven't been able to reproduced this bug on Windows and Mac, but on Linux x86_64, this happens a lot for FF 13.
Is there any way to describe how we can reproduce this at linux?

What is your linux distribution, ubuntu or fedora or something else?

Could you test if this bug shows up at safe mode(http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode) with addon disabled?
Whiteboard: [testday-20120615]
(Reporter)

Comment 3

7 years ago
(In reply to Alfredos-Panagiotis Damkalis from comment #2)
> Is there any way to describe how we can reproduce this at linux?
> 
I wish there is a way to definitely reproduce this issue every time. However, I didn't figure out a way. When I am browsing, it just suddenly, I found menu cannot pop up. But not always.

> What is your linux distribution, ubuntu or fedora or something else?

I am on Debian Wheezy, using the Firefox downloaded from the mozilla website, not the one in the repository.
> 
> Could you test if this bug shows up at safe
> mode(http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-
> safe-mode) with addon disabled?

I tried that, but didn't get any good news.

BTW, this could also be reproduceable for me on 14 beta.

Updated

7 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Menus
QA Contact: untriaged → menus
(Reporter)

Comment 4

7 years ago
Another info: Thunderbird 13 also has this problem for me.
I have also Debian Wheezy with downloaded firefox from mozilla.org but I don't have this bug.

So, some more questions for making this bug more specific.

1. Have you tried if this happens with a new profile (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles)?

2. Is it possible to check if this bug affects aurora (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/) or nightly (http://nightly.mozilla.org/) version?

3. Could you tell us what graphic card do you have (nvidia or ati?) and what drivers have for it?

4. Could you also check that you have the latest package of cairo library (http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cairo.html)

5. Are you on gnome 3 or you use other desktop environment?

Comment 6

7 years ago
I found this problem on Linux x86 32bit, too. It is on safe mode.
The environment is an old slackware (oh, kernel is 2.6.17) and local build gtk-2.10.0.
(Reporter)

Comment 7

7 years ago
(In reply to Alfredos-Panagiotis Damkalis from comment #5)
> I have also Debian Wheezy with downloaded firefox from mozilla.org but I
> don't have this bug.
> 
> So, some more questions for making this bug more specific.
> 
> 1. Have you tried if this happens with a new profile
> (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-
> firefox-profiles)?

I'll try.
> 
> 2. Is it possible to check if this bug affects aurora
> (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/) or nightly
> (http://nightly.mozilla.org/) version?
> 
I'll try.

> 3. Could you tell us what graphic card do you have (nvidia or ati?) and what
> drivers have for it?
>

I'm using NVidia and its official driver. Version 295.53-1.

> 4. Could you also check that you have the latest package of cairo library
> (http://packages.qa.debian.org/c/cairo.html)
> 
Yes, I am using the latest version 1.12.2-1, which is the latest version in Wheezy.

> 5. Are you on gnome 3 or you use other desktop environment?

I am using KDE 4.7.
(Reporter)

Comment 8

7 years ago
Also reproducible for the nightly build.
I just checked in code to inbound that incorrectly says bug 763312 (this bug) in the checkin comment. It is really for bug 769262
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/10c1a7434e67
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 16
(Reporter)

Comment 11

7 years ago
(In reply to Ryan VanderMeulen from comment #10)
> https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/10c1a7434e67

You replied the wrong issue? It should be for bug 769262.
Status: RESOLVED → UNCONFIRMED
Resolution: FIXED → ---

Comment 12

6 years ago
(In reply to Hong Xu from comment #4)
> Another info: Thunderbird 13 also has this problem for me.

I also had this problem, it creeps in after a few minutes.

Kubuntu 12.04 on a Linux 3.2.0-26-generic on a Dell Studio 15 ATi Mobility Radeon 3450

Add ons:
Dictionnaire Francais 4.5
Firetray 0.4.2
Global Menu Bar Integration 3.2.3
Lightning 1.5.2
Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher Integration 0.9.3
Silvermel & Charamel XT 1.5.3
Test Pilot for Thunderbird 1.3.9


I first disabled "Global Menu Bar Integration 3.2.3" that did not change anything, then disabling "Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher Integration 0.9.3" seems to have resolved the problem.

HTH

Comment 13

6 years ago
Ralf-Peter, have you ever seen this on debian?

Comment 14

6 years ago
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #13)
> Ralf-Peter, have you ever seen this on debian?
No. Running iceweasel on wheezy with KDE these days.

Comment 15

6 years ago
Apparantly this issue has been reporter many times (bugs #766105, #851099, #869998, #741641, #857083, #729084, etc.).

I can confirm this problem too on x86_64 Gentoo and x86_64 Fedora and I have no reliable reproducer. It just happens sooner or later. The only thing I can add is that the main menu is visibly activating, but it's destroyed immediatelly. I.e. I can see the File label highlights (blinks) on left-click or F10 but that's all.

Updated

4 years ago
Target Milestone: Firefox 16 → ---
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 7 years ago27 days ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1499336
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.