Closed Bug 786424 Opened 10 years ago Closed 10 years ago

Switch off OS X 10.8 on mozilla-esr10 where 10.8 is not a supported platform

Categories

(Release Engineering :: General, defect)

x86_64
macOS
defect
Not set
major

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: emorley, Assigned: armenzg)

References

Details

(Whiteboard: [capacity])

Attachments

(3 files)

In addition to trunk, we're currently running 10.8 on:
* mozilla-esr10
* mozilla-release
* mozilla-beta
* mozilla-aurora

On many of those, some/most of the 10.8 tests fail, so we should switch them off.
QA Contact: armenzg
Assignee: nobody → armenzg
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #656208 - Flags: feedback?(kmoir)
I see the 10.8 jobs on Aurora but not on Central.
https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Mozilla-Aurora&jobname=10.8
https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Firefox&jobname=10.8
I will wait and see who knows why there is this discrepancy.

This shows the different builders that are removed.

This comes from using builder_list.py:
~/repos/releng/braindump/buildbot-related/builder_list.py master.cfg > new
(In reply to Armen Zambrano G. [:armenzg] from comment #2)
> I see the 10.8 jobs on Aurora but not on Central.
> https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Mozilla-Aurora&jobname=10.8
> https://tbpl.mozilla.org/?tree=Firefox&jobname=10.8
> I will wait and see who knows why there is this discrepancy.

See bug 782826 comment 8.
Why are we doing this, and doing it so prematurely? We have absolutely no idea whether or not we're going to be short of 10.8 slaves, since we've never run tests on more than those old release branches. We also have absolutely no idea how difficult it will be to green them up (well, I do, because I greened up 10.7 and many of the changes are the same).

If every bit of every single suite was green, would we be turning these tests off?
Since:
* We won't be backporting much to esr10
* #build said to file the bug
* We can switch the tests back on once we have them green on trunk
* We are short of capacity for now

Happy? :-P
Summary: Switch off OS X 10.8 on mozilla-esr10 (and any other branches where the tests fail) → Switch off OS X 10.8 on mozilla-esr10 (and maybe any other branches where the vast majority of tests fail)
Attachment #656208 - Flags: feedback?(kmoir) → feedback+
Blocks: 784681
Nope, still not happy - we have absolutely, positively no way of knowing whether or not we are short on capacity.

We are not running 10.8 tests anywhere other than beta/release/esr10, because two patches raced. They are pending on aurora because of the way scheduling is weird when you shut a job off and turn it back on, not because of capacity problems. The only way we can find out whether we have capacity problems is to turn them on, and this bug is standing squarely in the way of turning them on.
I agree with philor's analysis of buildbot issues. The reconfig to correct that is happening know, and we'll have a better idea of where we are in the next day or so.
(In reply to Phil Ringnalda (:philor) from comment #6)
> Nope, still not happy - we have absolutely, positively no way of knowing
> whether or not we are short on capacity.

The main reason for filing this wasn't capacity. My fault for mentioning it in one of the bullets in comment 5, without also stating its relative level of priority.

My primary reason for filing this bug was for mozilla-esr10. Again, my fault for last-minute adding in the other repos in comment 0 without emphasising they were a 'maybe/food for thought', and thus complicating the discussion. Trying to hurry to get away from the office at gone 9pm unfortunately has its downsides :-)

Given that ESRs are only slated to support the platforms that were on trunk when they branched, I don't feel we have any need to run 10.8 on ESR. Would it be acceptable to morph this bug to just dealing with ESR10 and we can decide on the others once we have seen more test results/how high the infra load gets?
Sweet, I didn't know that esr came with that handy feature. Given that it clearly says no new versions, and the relnotes for 10.0 say 10.5/10.6/10.7, there's no question but what we should shut off the 10.8 tests on esr10.
Summary: Switch off OS X 10.8 on mozilla-esr10 (and maybe any other branches where the vast majority of tests fail) → Switch off OS X 10.8 on mozilla-esr10 where 10.8 is not a supported platform
Attachment #656548 - Flags: review?(kmoir)
Attachment #656548 - Flags: review?(kmoir) → review+
Made it to production today.
Looks good, thank you :-)
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 10 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: mozilla.org → Release Engineering
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.