close out gaia nightly branch

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

Firefox OS
GonkIntegration
RESOLVED FIXED
6 years ago
6 years ago

People

(Reporter: jhford, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(2 attachments)

My understanding is that we need to close out the nightly branch on Gaia as it is no longer needed.  When we do this, we'll need to figure out which branch the manifests in b2g-manifest should point to.
(cc-ing RelEng, to make sure this doesnt trip up any of the rest of today's branching work).
The nightly branch is now deprecated.  We've created the v1-train and v1.0.0 branches of the b2g-manifest repository and have set the default branch that developers pull down to be the v1-train branch.  The nightly branch is still on github, but will be removed.
all gecko branches which refer to gaia nightly will need adjusting. e.g.

https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/3742b1608ddb/b2g/config/unagi/config.json#l29

Comment 4

6 years ago
Vivien has expressed some concerns on dev.gaia - let's not put the finishing touches on this until Gaia developers are happy.
(In reply to Alex Keybl [:akeybl] from comment #4)
> Vivien has expressed some concerns on dev.gaia - let's not put the finishing
> touches on this until Gaia developers are happy.

I discussed on IRC and my main concern is about:
 - Having QA folks using different changesets
 - Having the tree broken after some changes made by a dev

With that said and since QA is going to focused on v1-train and since I want to believe that tests on TBPL will appears soon let's try to remove the nightly branch.

If the changesets nightmare comes back or if the tree is broken too often I believe the removal of the branch should be discussed again.
If we do bring this concept back, we should use a name other than 'nightly' as that term is very overloaded.

Comment 7

6 years ago
(In reply to Vivien Nicolas (:vingtetun) (:21) from comment #5)
> If the changesets nightmare comes back or if the tree is broken too often I
> believe the removal of the branch should be discussed again.

Sounds good, we can move forward with this bug.
(In reply to Vivien Nicolas (:vingtetun) (:21) from comment #5)
> (In reply to Alex Keybl [:akeybl] from comment #4)
> > Vivien has expressed some concerns on dev.gaia - let's not put the finishing
> > touches on this until Gaia developers are happy.
> 
> I discussed on IRC and my main concern is about:
>  - Having QA folks using different changesets
>  - Having the tree broken after some changes made by a dev
> 
> With that said and since QA is going to focused on v1-train and since I want
> to believe that tests on TBPL will appears soon let's try to remove the
> nightly branch.
> 
> If the changesets nightmare comes back or if the tree is broken too often I
> believe the removal of the branch should be discussed again.

Thanks vivien!

Comment 9

6 years ago
Created attachment 708749 [details] [diff] [review]
point m-c b2g builds at gaia-central
Attachment #708749 - Flags: review?(catlee)

Updated

6 years ago
Attachment #708749 - Flags: review?(catlee) → review+
Created attachment 709154 [details] [diff] [review]
remove panda_gaia_central
Attachment #709154 - Flags: review?(aki)

Updated

6 years ago
Attachment #709154 - Flags: review?(aki) → review+
ftr, the config.sh has already been changed away from nightly to v1-train. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=835467#c9
Releng, please comment on this bug when all of your automation has stopped looking at the nightly branch.
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/e587c6370341
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Though if that just hit m-c, it certainly hasn't been merged to everywhere that does b2g builds.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---

Comment 17

6 years ago
(In reply to Phil Ringnalda (:philor) from comment #16)
> Though if that just hit m-c, it certainly hasn't been merged to everywhere
> that does b2g builds.

mozilla-b2g18, mozilla-b2g18_v1_0_0, and mozilla-b2g18_v1_0_1 don't build gaia-nightly; they build gaia-v1-train, gaia-v1_0_0, and gaia-v1_0_1, respectively.

If you're talking about project branches; I don't think we keep bugs open for project branch merges from m-c.

I think we're done here.

Updated

6 years ago
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Comment 14 made me think that jhford wanted to know something like "when will every single job run by releng be using gaia-central rather than gaia-nightly, so that I can remove gaia-nightly from the face of the earth without turning things like services-central red," and that removing it from the face of the earth was the end-state for this bug.
But since the set of things still building off gaia-nightly seems to be "{services-central}", I can just merge their asses to safety and we can call it good.
Yes, the end state desired was to create a tag on the end of the nightly branch then delete the branch from github.  It looks like between comment 17, comment 18 and comment 19, we're clear to do that.  I'll be tagging and bagging the nightly branch today.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
(In reply to John Ford [:jhford] from comment #20)
> Yes, the end state desired was to create a tag on the end of the nightly
> branch then delete the branch from github.  It looks like between comment
> 17, comment 18 and comment 19, we're clear to do that.  I'll be tagging and
> bagging the nightly branch today.

Status?
$ git push origin nightly-closed :nightly
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
To github.com:mozilla-b2g/gaia.git
 - [deleted]         nightly
 * [new tag]         nightly-closed -> nightly-closed
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 6 years ago6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Blocks: 839350
Blocks: 840726
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.