I can't find the steps to reproduce this, but it is happening occasionally with the build I'm using (2001060811) and I've seen it with other builds this week. Basically the URL bar goes bezerk and every character I type after the first (important: the first character is okay) is swapped. I've typed in the following set and pasted here the results: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz becomes: a?¢ðe????j??µnøþ@¶ß????»?« It does _NOT_ happen when pasting the text in the X clipboard with the mouse; only when typing into the URL bar itself. I've provided a screenshot of mozilla when I type in 'www.mozillazine.org' and press enter here (the proxy error shows that it's not just a display error, but a real char-swap error).
Havent see this, apart from the @ -> ' Can be related to reopened bug 61439
Summary: URL bar swaps characters typed → URL bar swaps characters typed
I should add this is XFree 4.0.3, and I've got the MSTTF family installed locally (actually, served through NFS, though it's probably irrelevant).
sounds like an editor bug to me reassigning to beppe
Assignee: alecf → beppe
Do you see this problem only when you type in the urlbar or do you also see it when you type in other places such as form elements or other UI locations like the open location dialog?
Only when using the URLBar. It happens exactly when the little completion popup shows up, but turning off completion does _not_ fix the problem. All other form elements are fine by my experience (but since it's hard to trigger, I might not be testing them as hard as the URLBar): text, textarea work fine.
I've seen this kind of garbage show up when the content tree gets out of sync with the frame tree ... a sign that reflows are not happening or are being supressed by parent frames. Without reproduceable steps or a test case, i can't back that up though. Cc'ing waterson and attinasi.
Oh. This might be important, and I just noticed it: Characters that have accents like á (á if it renders bad) and õ (õ) _work fine_ when the problem is active. This means that although c normally becomes ¢, I can type ç (ç) just fine. It's probably related to handling of extended ASCII (Latin-1, etc) chars. I'll test further here.
I think this can be reproduced by the following steps (it _does_ work here, but keep in mind my keyboard is configured to use Xmodmap.us+, which I'm attaching here, so you'll have to load it and use the deadkeys - anyone not know how deadkeys work?) 1. Start Browser 2. type www.async.com.br/~ # at this point the characters are broken. The full URL I was trying to reach is www.async.com.br/~unicastelo/ I've erased my profile and restarted and I still see the bug. Another thing worth noting is that if I unfocus the window and focus back the _first_ character I type is okay again and then the garbage comes back.
this is a side effect of the (2nd try) fix for bug 61439. As a temporary workaround edit unix.js change: pref("keyboard.mode_switch.enable_workaround", true); to pref("keyboard.mode_switch.enable_workaround", false); *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of 61439 ***
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
This is fixed in build 2001062306! No file text editing needed!
mass-verifying Duplicate bugs which haven't changed since 2001.12.31. set your search string in mail to "CitizenGKar" to filter out these messages.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.