Closed Bug 878173 Opened 7 years ago Closed 5 years ago

Create alternate about:feedback that sends positive feedback to input

Categories

(Firefox for Android :: General, defect)

ARM
Android
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: Margaret, Unassigned, Mentored)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

(Whiteboard: [lang=js][bad first bug])

Attachments

(4 files)

This is a follow-up to bug 867354 to create a more robust solution for prompting for feedback in builds that didn't come from the Play store.

Will, can input.mozilla.org still support positive feedback coming from Fennec? I assume we'd just need to change the _type we're setting here depending on whether it's sad/happy feedback:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/mobile/android/chrome/content/aboutFeedback.xhtml#154
Flags: needinfo?(willkg)
input.mozilla.org currently hard-codes all android feedback to sad. I can fix that so it looks at the value in the _type field using these values:

1 - Happy
2 - Sad

Unless I'm reading things horribly, that should work with what android is sending now.

If I make that change today, then I won't be blocking further development. Want me to do that?
Flags: needinfo?(willkg)
(In reply to Will Kahn-Greene [:willkg] from comment #1)
> input.mozilla.org currently hard-codes all android feedback to sad. I can
> fix that so it looks at the value in the _type field using these values:
> 
> 1 - Happy
> 2 - Sad
> 
> Unless I'm reading things horribly, that should work with what android is
> sending now.
> 
> If I make that change today, then I won't be blocking further development.
> Want me to do that?

I responded to Will on IRC, but for the bugzilla record: Yes, that's perfect!
Should be all set in production now to handle happy/sad feedback from FFA via the _type field.
Ian, can you help me come up with strings for this? The idea is that for pre-release and distribution builds, when the user taps "I love it" on about:feeback, we'll show a page to submit feedback to input.mozilla.org, rather than a request to rate us in the play store. This would be similar to the flow for the "I ran into some problems" case, but we'll want to change the messages we show.

I think I'll need 3 strings for this:
1) A message above the input box on the new positive input page (similar to the current "We're sorry that ... " message on the sad page)
2) A title for the thanks page (similar to "Thanks for letting us know.")
3) A message for the thanks page (similar to "We're always working..." )

(For reference, bug 774479 has the designs from when we implemented about:feedback)
Flags: needinfo?(ibarlow)
Attached patch WIPSplinter Review
This works but needs strings.
Attachment #758274 - Flags: feedback?(mark.finkle)
Comment on attachment 758274 [details] [diff] [review]
WIP

>+    function happyFeedback() {
>+      // Don't solicit a Play Store review for non-release builds or distribution builds.
>+      let solicitReview = false;
>+#ifdef RELEASE_BUILD
>+      try {
>+        Services.prefs.getCharPref("distribution.id");
>+      } catch {
>+        solicitReview = true;
>+      }
>+#endif

We probably need to move to a different preference check. I am thinking about any partner repacks that still use the Google Play Store for updates and reviews. We will likely have some.

Otherwise, looks good.

Maybe add a screenshot or two?
Attachment #758274 - Flags: feedback?(mark.finkle) → feedback+
(In reply to Mark Finkle (:mfinkle) from comment #6)
> Comment on attachment 758274 [details] [diff] [review]
> WIP
> 
> >+    function happyFeedback() {
> >+      // Don't solicit a Play Store review for non-release builds or distribution builds.
> >+      let solicitReview = false;
> >+#ifdef RELEASE_BUILD
> >+      try {
> >+        Services.prefs.getCharPref("distribution.id");
> >+      } catch {
> >+        solicitReview = true;
> >+      }
> >+#endif
> 
> We probably need to move to a different preference check. I am thinking
> about any partner repacks that still use the Google Play Store for updates
> and reviews. We will likely have some.

Yeah, we could check a "feedback.disable" pref or something like that, which distributions can put in their preferences.json if they want to disable this.
Attached image positive feedback page
I'm resurrecting this patch. Here's a screenshot of the positive feedback page. I need a string for where I just put "Tell us some positive feedback!".
Here's the page you get after submitting positive feedback. I also need strings for this.
Ian, also see comment 4 for a summary of the strings I need.
Paging ibarlow... if it won't take too much effort, it would be nice to come up with some strings for this and land this patch. This will only show on non-play store builds (e.g. nightly/aurora), so it's not super critical that we get *perfect* strings :)
Going through some old bugs... tossing this over to antlam in case it's something he wants to think about as part of his work in bug 1007436.
Flags: needinfo?(ibarlow) → needinfo?(alam)
This is good, I've been keeping these other stages of about:feedback in the back of my head. Thanks Margaret!
Flags: needinfo?(alam)
Do you still need copy for the "I love it!" page? It currently prompts me to go to the Play store ("Want to share the love by giving us a 5 star rating on Google Play?") and I'm on Nightly.

Personally I think this is ok because I would like the option of just "giving a thumbs up" and then moving on with whatever task I was trying to accomplish. If I was prompted to then give additional feedback, I would just skip ahead (so I think it would be best if this field was optional).

That being said, how does "That's great! Want to help us out by telling us a little more?" sound? It relates to the previous state of "I love it!" and stays a bit friendly. But maybe it could be more whimsical?
Flags: needinfo?(margaret.leibovic)
(In reply to Anthony Lam (:antlam) from comment #14)
> Do you still need copy for the "I love it!" page? It currently prompts me to
> go to the Play store ("Want to share the love by giving us a 5 star rating
> on Google Play?") and I'm on Nightly.

This bug is about creating an alternate version for Nightly/Aurora (and any other Firefox that didn't come from the Play store). Because that version doesn't exist yet, you're just getting prompted to go to the Play store :) So yes, I'm still looking for copy for that alternate version we would create.

> Personally I think this is ok because I would like the option of just
> "giving a thumbs up" and then moving on with whatever task I was trying to
> accomplish. If I was prompted to then give additional feedback, I would just
> skip ahead (so I think it would be best if this field was optional).

We can make it so that users can ignore the additional feedback if they want, but maybe there are some requests that users who generally like the app would want to make. We could keep the same "Maybe later"/"No thanks" that we show for the Play store view.

> That being said, how does "That's great! Want to help us out by telling us a
> little more?" sound? It relates to the previous state of "I love it!" and
> stays a bit friendly. But maybe it could be more whimsical?

That sounds good. Or maybe something about asking if there's anything we can do to make it even better?

I can dust off this patch to see what it's like right now, I haven't looked at this in a long time.
Flags: needinfo?(margaret.leibovic)
(In reply to :Margaret Leibovic from comment #15)
> That sounds good. Or maybe something about asking if there's anything we can
> do to make it even better?
> 
> I can dust off this patch to see what it's like right now, I haven't looked
> at this in a long time.

We should re-purpose the design I did for bug 1007436 for this too. And probably the state before this step too? I'm unsure if we want to apply the new design up the flow of this experience but I think they should all be consistent.

Thoughts?
Meh - what the heck. I quickly mocked it up to see what it'd look like. :)

Thoughts?
^ (sorry for the string of comments)

I think the space could be good for a nice illustration/icon related to feedback.. more later!
These mockups raise an interesting question. 

If people tell us they love Nightly or Aurora, what kind of feedback do we want to ask from them? Do we want to ask them what they like about it, like we do on Google Play? Do we want to ask them what we could still improve, like Anthony's mockups suggest? 

My sense is the former, given that we already have a path that people can use to call out issues or improvements they'd like to say. And it would be nice to hear what we're good at, as well. 

Given that, maybe the copy could read,

----
[headline] That's great to hear!

[body] Want to share the love by telling us what you enjoy most about Nightly on Android? 
----


Anthony I also have a bit of visual/copy feedback for the first panel:

- That red button is *really* intense. Let's rethink that colour.
- Not sure we need to change the copy on about:feedback from what it already is.
(In reply to Ian Barlow (:ibarlow) from comment #19)
> These mockups raise an interesting question. 
> 
> If people tell us they love Nightly or Aurora, what kind of feedback do we
> want to ask from them? Do we want to ask them what they like about it, like
> we do on Google Play? Do we want to ask them what we could still improve,
> like Anthony's mockups suggest? 

This gets into User Advocacy territory since they work with the data that lands in Input (which is where the changes in this bug will be pushing data).

needinfo'ing Matt Grimes so he can help figure these questions out.
Flags: needinfo?(mgrimes)
(In reply to Ian Barlow (:ibarlow) from comment #19)
> These mockups raise an interesting question. 
> 
> If people tell us they love Nightly or Aurora, what kind of feedback do we
> want to ask from them? Do we want to ask them what they like about it, like
> we do on Google Play? Do we want to ask them what we could still improve,
> like Anthony's mockups suggest? 
> 
> My sense is the former, given that we already have a path that people can
> use to call out issues or improvements they'd like to say. And it would be
> nice to hear what we're good at, as well. 

I agree. If it isn't already, this should definitely be an optional submission though. Given their positive feelings with the product at that point, we could really risk turning that around if we annoy them too much.

> Anthony I also have a bit of visual/copy feedback for the first panel:
> 
> - That red button is *really* intense. Let's rethink that colour.

Yeah - that red is very serious. Especially if we consider the form it leads to... will rethink.

> - Not sure we need to change the copy on about:feedback from what it already
> is.

Open to changing this back for sure, was just experimenting.
Sorry for they delay here. I met with the rest of the UA folks yesterday and here are our recommendations:

1: If you want to get better data, we are ok with leading the user a bit by saying something like "What specific feature do you love about Firefox?" or "What made you choose Firefox?" as Ian suggested in comment 19.

This will get you more specific data than what we use elsewhere which is just an open text box. The feedback there is usually very general ie "Firefox is awesome!"


2: We would strongly discourage asking users that like the product to switch gears and give negative feedback. This is a confusing mental shift in the process flow. We also have tools that analyze all the feedback and it may impact our reporting to have negative comments flowing into the positive feedback buckets. 

Let me know if you have questions.
Flags: needinfo?(mgrimes)
Update here: we're going to revisit the visual design of the current about:feedback over in bug 1007436. I think we should focus on that bug first, then we can add in this new alternate positive feedback section once we have a new design in place.
Depends on: 1007436
Just a thought (for when you will restart working on this bug again).

Would it make sense if we prompted the users that gave a positive feedback to join/contribute to Mozilla too and be part of our awesome community while thanking them?
Assignee: margaret.leibovic → nobody
Mentor: margaret.leibovic
Whiteboard: [lang=js][bad first bug]
Blocks: 1211436
We are going to replace our in-app about:feedback page with a page hosted directly on input.mozilla.org (bug 1225676), so we shouldn't work on this bug.

However, we can raise this as an issue for the new feedback page that's hosted on input, to avoid directing users to the play store for builds that weren't installed from the play store.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.