Closed Bug 953406 Opened 9 years ago Closed 9 years ago

[keon] dialer and text messages don't stick to hot area after updating from 1.2 to 1.3

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: Gaia::Homescreen, defect)

x86
macOS
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(blocking-b2g:1.3+)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 958939
1.3 C3/1.4 S3(31jan)
blocking-b2g 1.3+

People

(Reporter: Pike, Assigned: gerard-majax)

References

Details

(Keywords: dataloss, regression, Whiteboard: migration [systemsfe])

After updating my keon from 1.2 to 1.3, the dialer, text, contacts and browser disappeared from the lower section of the homescreen - the one that sticks when you page between screens.

I can customize them back in, but they keep dropping on each reboot, and the bottom area comes up empty.

I don't see anything in logcat.
QA Wanted - Can someone check if this reproduces on an OTA update on Leo from 1.2 to 1.3?
Keywords: qawanted
(In reply to Jason Smith [:jsmith] from comment #1)
> QA Wanted - Can someone check if this reproduces on an OTA update on Leo
> from 1.2 to 1.3?

This issue does reproduce when updating via OTA from 1.2 to 1.3 on a Leo device. The icons are removed from the Dock after the update. No matter what icons I put into the Dock, it will be empty after a reboot.
Keywords: qawanted
QA Contact: mvaughan
Okay - that confirms this can happen on a production device, so this is a blocker.
blocking-b2g: 1.3? → 1.3+
Keywords: regression
Duplicate of this bug: 958442
Jason, can you confirm if this is a systemsfe bug? (need to add whiteboard tag if it is)
Flags: needinfo?(jsmith)
(In reply to Candice Serran (:cserran) from comment #5)
> Jason, can you confirm if this is a systemsfe bug? (need to add whiteboard
> tag if it is)

I think so. This looks like a regression specifically with the homescreen, so I'd expect someone like Cristian to know why this is failing.
Flags: needinfo?(jsmith)
Whiteboard: migration → migration [systemsfe]
I tried to reproduce this by doing:

git checkout v1.2
make reset-gaia
# rearrange homescreen, place a new shortcut in the dock
git checkout grid # based on master
make install-gaia

AIUI either this bug also depends on the different Gecko versions, or my steps aren't equivalent to an OTA update. Is there a way I can do an OTA update to a custom build?
Did you try to modify the homescreen on 1.2? I wonder if it's triggered when having user data, but not if it's just default data.
Yeah, I moved some icons around and added FM Radio to the dock.
(In reply to Reuben Morais [:reuben] from comment #7)
> I tried to reproduce this by doing:
> 
> git checkout v1.2
> make reset-gaia
> # rearrange homescreen, place a new shortcut in the dock
> git checkout grid # based on master
> make install-gaia
> 
> AIUI either this bug also depends on the different Gecko versions, or my
> steps aren't equivalent to an OTA update. Is there a way I can do an OTA
> update to a custom build?

We do now have gecko-update-full, gecko-update-fota and gecko-update-fota-full build target for this kind of purpose :)
Flags: needinfo?(reuben.bmo)
For the FOTA targets, you need a device on which the recovery partition contains testkeys so that your update.zip signature will work. As far as I know, this is the case on Keon and Peak at least, and it can be flashed for Buri from Teleweb.
(In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #10)
> We do now have gecko-update-full, gecko-update-fota and
> gecko-update-fota-full build target for this kind of purpose :)

You say that as if the B2G build system made any sense. I see those targets in gonk-misc/Android.mk but I have no idea how to trigger them.

(In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #11)
> For the FOTA targets, you need a device on which the recovery partition
> contains testkeys so that your update.zip signature will work. As far as I
> know, this is the case on Keon and Peak at least, and it can be flashed for
> Buri from Teleweb.

Do all images in the Teleweb thing have testkeys on the recovery partition? I originally flashed this phone using that tool, but that was a while ago.
Flags: needinfo?(reuben.bmo)
Flags: needinfo?(lissyx+mozillians)
(In reply to Reuben Morais [:reuben] from comment #12)
> (In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #10)
> > We do now have gecko-update-full, gecko-update-fota and
> > gecko-update-fota-full build target for this kind of purpose :)
> 
> You say that as if the B2G build system made any sense. I see those targets
> in gonk-misc/Android.mk but I have no idea how to trigger them.

Just ./build.sh <target>. All those three will produce a .mar file in the end, that you can use for example with:
$ python tools/update-tools/test-update.py <mar>

> 
> (In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #11)
> > For the FOTA targets, you need a device on which the recovery partition
> > contains testkeys so that your update.zip signature will work. As far as I
> > know, this is the case on Keon and Peak at least, and it can be flashed for
> > Buri from Teleweb.
> 
> Do all images in the Teleweb thing have testkeys on the recovery partition?
> I originally flashed this phone using that tool, but that was a while ago.

No idea :(
Flags: needinfo?(lissyx+mozillians)
FYI I do remember hitting this issue a while ago. I'll try and have a look today.
Assignee: nobody → lissyx+mozillians
Target Milestone: --- → 1.3 C3/1.4 S3(31jan)
This is probably bug 958939, Cristian has a patch there already.

Alexandre is checking whether this fixes this bug too.
It is indeed a dupe: applying patch of bug 958939 fixes this one.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 958939
No longer blocks: 1.3-data-migration
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.