Open Bug 1193168 Opened 5 years ago Updated 5 years ago

AB search results not updated when new contact is created while search filter is active (or upon other changes to contact properties which affect the result set)

Categories

(MailNews Core :: Address Book, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

(firefox43 affected)

Tracking Status
firefox43 --- affected

People

(Reporter: bugzilla2007, Unassigned)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1143812 +++

STR

1 Have AB with John1, John2, Jane1, Jane2
2 In AB quick search box, filter for "John"
-> 2 matches
3a before landing of bug 1193160, rename John1 to "foo1" so it no longer matches the search, OR
3b after landing of bug 1193160, with search filter "John" still active, create a new contact "John3" which matches the search

Actual result
3a Search results not updated, "foo1" still shown with search results for "John"
3b Search results not updated, matching new contact "John3" not shown in search results (I can't test that right now)

Expected result
3a Search result should be updated, "foo1" should disappear from search results
3b Search result should be updated, "John3" should appear in search results immediately after creation (without manual refresh or change of focus)

Note: This might be a deeper problem of the treeviews used, because iirc it's the same issue with quick filtering messages in the main 3 pane window, and should also be fixed there if that's true (no time to test). Or if it already works there, we could check how it was done...
Summary: AB search results not updated when new contact is created while search filter is active → AB search results not updated when new contact is created while search filter is active (or upon other changes to contact properties which affect the result set)
Blocks: 1143812
No longer depends on: 1143812
This needs further UX decision if we really want any of this. As you say quick filter doesn't do it. In filter list we decided to clear the search if a filter is editer/added and it would not match the search term. That is already quite dynamic. What you propose would be even more dynamic. And in AB it is hard to know whether the new card would still match the search. We basically have to rerun the search again (or clear the search term).
I have been searching my computer for the ab*.js (Java Script)file and can't find any except what I got from you for modifying the files when I found them. Yes I searched system and hidden files, I even searched with Thunderbird running and can't find the files. I am running WinXP-SP3 if that makes a difference. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but had some family emergencies. My directory tree doesn't even follow the listings of where to find the files
Sorry, I am not sure how your comment relates to this bug.
(In reply to :aceman from comment #1)
> This needs further UX decision if we really want any of this. As you say
> quick filter doesn't do it. In filter list we decided to clear the search if
> a filter is editer/added and it would not match the search term. That is
> already quite dynamic. What you propose would be even more dynamic. And in
> AB it is hard to know whether the new card would still match the search. We
> basically have to rerun the search again (or clear the search term).

From an UX perspective, I'd definitely think that newly created contacts matching the search should immediately show up in search results.

I'm not 100% sure about making changed contacts disappear from the original result set.
But in general, I assume result sets should match the actual filter terms, so anything which no longer matches does no longer belong to the result set. Iow, I assume that having false positives in the result set is generally undesired. (And I think that concurs with reality, because say if you rename a contact so that it no longer matches, that looks like an intentional action to eliminate false positives, so why still show it?
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.