Open Bug 1245934 Opened 4 years ago Updated 4 years ago

Add option to "Turn on search suggestions" in firstrun

Categories

(Firefox for Android :: First Run, defect)

ARM
Android
defect
Not set

Tracking

()

Tracking Status
firefox47 --- affected

People

(Reporter: liuche, Unassigned)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

In the first slide, we could let users have the option to turn on search suggestions. This will add to the customization available in onboarding, as well as hinting to users that these slides could be clickable.
Attached image prev_mk2_slide1_4.png
Barbara, what do you think of this idea? It certainly might help with teaching users that they can "press" the images to change stuff and it'd be great to be able to get them to "enable" search suggestions.

Here's what it'll look like
Flags: needinfo?(bbermes)
Here are the images for :liuche
I think the arrow is because we are failing to be clear in the first place. We should need an arrow.

Even if we end up making the toggle clear, I question the toggle in the first place. As a new user, I wouldn't understand why the first onboarding slide is asking me to turn on the feature. Why is this an opt-in? What's the catch? What am I committing to? If we add the toggle the copy will likely have to change too.

But this leads me to think... If it is important enough for us to put it as our first slide, why isn't the feature on by default and just an opt-out in the settings? @Barbara, could this be on by default?

If it is about privacy and data tracking (which it somehow likely is), where and when in our current product do we mention that this is why you have to opt-in to search suggestions?
This might be a scope creep alert, my friends.

@Alex: Having search suggestions turned on by default probably won't work due to privacy and policy concerns. 

Why don't we go with the current setup, and test if people actually use the turn image saving on/off first before adding more complexity.

Sounds good?
Flags: needinfo?(liuche)
Flags: needinfo?(bbermes)
Flags: needinfo?(alam)
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
(In reply to Barbara Bermes [:barbara] from comment #4)
> This might be a scope creep alert, my friends.

Completely agree. 

To be clear, I'm not saying we should do this right now. Just filing the bug to keep track of an idea. this is un-prioritized work.

> Why don't we go with the current setup, and test if people actually use the
> turn image saving on/off first before adding more complexity.
> 
> Sounds good?

Yep, this doesn't change our current A/B/C testing plan. This is just a UX suggestion to be prioritized somewhere down the line.
Flags: needinfo?(alam)
Sounds good. Let's stick to the plan. :)

But I like where your mind is at :antlam
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
(In reply to Alex Davis [:adavis] from comment #3)
> I think the arrow is because we are failing to be clear in the first place.
> We shouldn't (ed) need an arrow.

I agree with Alex here. I think we had the same issue come up with the toggle used for "tap to view images" panel. The toggles look too much like part of the static image.

> Even if we end up making the toggle clear, I question the toggle in the
> first place. As a new user, I wouldn't understand why the first onboarding
> slide is asking me to turn on the feature. Why is this an opt-in? What's the
> catch? What am I committing to? If we add the toggle the copy will likely
> have to change too.

Why wouldn't the onboarding ask you to turn on a feature? Better to ask now, then wait for the person to _maybe_ stumble into settings and find it later. We have considered doing the same thing for setting a search engine and even picking a theme.

> But this leads me to think... If it is important enough for us to put it as
> our first slide, why isn't the feature on by default and just an opt-out in
> the settings? @Barbara, could this be on by default?

What Barbara said.
(In reply to Mark Finkle (:mfinkle) from comment #7)
> (In reply to Alex Davis [:adavis] from comment #3)
> 
> Why wouldn't the onboarding ask you to turn on a feature? Better to ask now,
> then wait for the person to _maybe_ stumble into settings and find it later.
> We have considered doing the same thing for setting a search engine and even
> picking a theme.
> 
It was more the context that.. If it's important enough for us to promote as the first slide, the feature clearly has an important value proposition to the user so why are we making people opt-in to it? It seems like if the feature was that important, it should be on by default.

> 
> What Barbara said.

That's what I suspected. I understand the privacy issue. Thing is, we don't explain that in the opt-in. We mention to opt-in to a cool feature, not to opt-in to sharing data in order to access a cool feature. It just seems like useless friction from an end-user perspective because it's not obvious that the opt-in is due to privacy and whatever that entails.

In summary:
-If the feature is that important, why isn't it an opt-out rather than an opt-in?
-If we insist to make it an opt-in for privacy reasons, shouldn't it be more clear to the user that privacy is the reason why they have to opt-in to a great feature?

I guess I just feel that there's just something a little off with the whole UX.
Postscriptum:
I double checked with Marshall about why this particular feature was an opt-in so I could better understand the policy behind this decision. His answer was surprising. He wasn't quite sure why it was an opt-in right now. He didn't believe it was necessary and thinks that it could be an opt-out.

Food for thought.
Looking at our telemetry dashboard, which has firstrun usage for current Nightly and Aurora, I'm not seeing a single click action for turning on "datasaving", out of the lower bound of 630 people who have made it to the last slide in the 5-slide version.

My main incentive for starting this bug was to hint at users from slide 1 that these slides might be clickable. On the other hand, we could just implement bug 1243216, but this approach (adding a clickable slide into the first slot to hint to users slides might be clickable) seems more subtle and I like it better.

So I would support using a "turn on search suggestions" for the first slide to increase engagement with firstrun into 47, and not worry about the version we have in 46, but maybe people who have to deal with the data would think otherwise :P
Flags: needinfo?(liuche) → needinfo?(bbermes)
Updated body copy from Matej which helps with this interaction too:

“Turn on search suggestion shortcuts to help find things faster.”
Thanks Alex, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1245934#c9 -- that's good to know.

If we decide to make search suggestions an opt-out, we might not need to show a switch in the onboarding.

Also not sure if adding another toggle to the first slide will remove the issue we are currently seeing that people don't use the toggle.
Flags: needinfo?(bbermes)
(In reply to Barbara Bermes [:barbara] from comment #12)
> Thanks Alex, https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1245934#c9 --
> that's good to know.
> 
> If we decide to make search suggestions an opt-out, we might not need to
> show a switch in the onboarding.
> 
> Also not sure if adding another toggle to the first slide will remove the
> issue we are currently seeing that people don't use the toggle.

Alex, Barbara and Marshall should read bug 769145 about why we added the opt-in support. It is a privacy issue.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.