The default action for uncommon downloads should open the file directly

VERIFIED FIXED in Firefox 48

Status

()

defect
P1
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
3 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: Paolo, Assigned: Paolo)

Tracking

(Depends on 1 bug, Blocks 1 bug)

Trunk
Firefox 48
Points:
---
Dependency tree / graph
Bug Flags:
qe-verify +

Firefox Tracking Flags

(firefox48 verified)

Details

(Whiteboard: [fxprivacy][strings])

Attachments

(1 attachment)

The default button in the dialog shown after the default action button is used on a potentially unwanted download should open the file directly.
Assignee: nobody → paolo.mozmail
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Iteration: --- → 48.3 - Apr 25
Flags: qe-verify?
Priority: -- → P1
Whiteboard: [fxprivacy][triage] → [fxprivacy]
Flags: qe-verify? → qe-verify+
QA Contact: paul.silaghi
I'll land most strings together with this bug because they are related to the changes here, and we can use bug 1265362 for any additional changes.
Whiteboard: [fxprivacy] → [fxprivacy][strings]
Comment on attachment 8743287 [details]
MozReview Request: Bug 1265387 - The default action for uncommon downloads should open the file directly. r=past

https://reviewboard.mozilla.org/r/47683/#review44785

Looks great!
Attachment #8743287 - Flags: review?(past) → review+
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/a850056f0527
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 48
> blockedUncommon2=This file is not commonly downloaded.

Is this message actually generated based on the file, or the file type? Because I would expect something like “This type of file is not commonly downloaded.”
(In reply to Francesco Lodolo [:flod] from comment #6)
> > blockedUncommon2=This file is not commonly downloaded.
> 
> Is this message actually generated based on the file, or the file type?
> Because I would expect something like “This type of file is not commonly
> downloaded.”

As far as I can tell it's based on the specific file, and in particular not on the file type or extension. The exact logic is determined by the Safe Browsing service.
(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #0)
> The default button in the dialog shown after the default action button is
> used on a potentially unwanted download should open the file directly.
Are you talking about the new functionality of the "open containing folder" button for uncommon downloads?
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
(In reply to Paul Silaghi, QA [:pauly] from comment #8)
> Are you talking about the new functionality of the "open containing folder"
> button for uncommon downloads?

Yes, the dialog that is opened when clicking the icon in the download item.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
Verified fixed FX 48.0a2 (2016-05-03) Win 7, Ubuntu 14.04, OS X 10.11.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
I don't understand the motive of this bug.

When I downloaded an uncommon archive file, I have to allow and open it, instead of unblock and then opening it's folder to use the context menu for like extract it.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
(In reply to YF (Yang) from comment #11)
> When I downloaded an uncommon archive file, I have to allow and open it,
> instead of unblock and then opening it's folder to use the context menu for
> like extract it.

I've made sure that we still support this use case, you can unblock any type of blocked file without opening it using the context menu on the download item in Firefox. This will show a different dialog where unblocking without opening is indeed the default option.
Flags: needinfo?(paolo.mozmail)
(In reply to :Paolo Amadini from comment #12)
> (In reply to YF (Yang) from comment #11)
> > When I downloaded an uncommon archive file, I have to allow and open it,
> > instead of unblock and then opening it's folder to use the context menu for
> > like extract it.
> 
> I've made sure that we still support this use case, you can unblock any type
> of blocked file without opening it using the context menu on the download
> item in Firefox. This will show a different dialog where unblocking without
> opening is indeed the default option.

Thank you, I just found it. However, I think the allow it should be a button, rather than open it, the two options should be reversed to reduce the risks to the users.

As a reason, allowing it require go to the context menu (hidden) - confirm, but opening it just click to expand, click the button.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.